VakAttack

Gable says this is his last season

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Who cares if wrestles in the NCAA, I'd rather see the other guys sort it out...

You'd rather see the other guys sort it out than get a chance to watch the most dynamic heavyweight in NCAA history?  

Why don't we remove all of our transcendent talents while we're at it, and let the guys ranked 4 - 12 duke it out for the title.  That way it's more "fair."  

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

You'd rather see the other guys sort it out than get a chance to watch the most dynamic heavyweight in NCAA history?  

Why don't we remove all of our transcendent talents while we're at it, and let the guys ranked 4 - 12 duke it out for the title.  That way it's more "fair."  

Who said "fair"?

Its the best heavyweight class ever, the only knock on it is that there is a prohibitive favorite. It'd be more fun if it was wide open. 

14 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I mean, sure we’d all like to see him stick with wrestling longer. But…he won one of if not the most amazing Olympic heavyweight finals in history. How can you top that, even in terms of entertainment value, watching him run roughshed over college kids….he’s already run over roughshed.  If this were another Olympics, well…  

Hammer has a point, there’s room for thought that the more entertaining hwt bracket would be without him, for pure intrigue value, possibly putting it up there with some of the more killer lower weight brackets we’ve had in the past. 

I'm gonna watch him, but his presence result in us exchanging a  dramatic, season long run and gun battle for the heavyweight title with people forfeiting matches at the conference tournament to knock themselves into contention for the 6 seed at NCAAs....

Best case would be for him to take a loss or two and then the weight would really be exciting.

Edited by hammerlockthree

On 11/17/2021 at 2:32 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Who said "fair"?

Its the best heavyweight class ever, the only knock on it is that there is a prohibitive favorite. It'd be more fun if it was wide open. 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, Lurker said:

I mean, sure we’d all like to see him stick with wrestling longer. But…he won one of if not the most amazing Olympic heavyweight finals in history. How can you top that, even in terms of entertainment value, watching him run roughshed over college kids….he’s already run over roughshed.  If this were another Olympics, well…  

Hammer has a point, there’s room for thought that the more entertaining hwt bracket would be without him, for pure intrigue value, possibly putting it up there with some of the more killer lower weight brackets we’ve had in the past. 

I understand the sentiment, I just don't agree in this case.  The weight class is worse--speaking strictly about entertainment value--without him.  Would you have not wanted to watch Sanderson's senior season just because he was going to walk over everyone?  

On top of that, I think it's fair this year to question Gable's commitment.  Not questioning his work ethic, but it seems guaranteed that his attention will be split between athletics/academics, and his post-NCAA opportunities.  

Everyone complained about parity in the NBA when the Warriors were 73-9... until they lost.  

1 minute ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I understand the sentiment, I just don't agree in this case.  The weight class is worse--speaking strictly about entertainment value--without him.  Would you have not wanted to watch Sanderson's senior season just because he was going to walk over everyone?  

On top of that, I think it's fair this year to question Gable's commitment.  Not questioning his work ethic, but it seems guaranteed that his attention will be split between athletics/academics, and his post-NCAA opportunities.  

Everyone complained about parity in the NBA when the Warriors were 73-9... until they lost.  

Thats all good. I'd say the Cael comparison doesn't hold because he was in the process of completing an undefeated career, but guys like Taylor I can say I was pretty bored watching him smoke everybody and would much rather see him on the senior level(even though he came off a loss)...I think I feel the same way about Steveson except I'm even less excited because he isn't gonna be as entertaining as Taylor due to the fact that he's a heavyweight (even though he's as exciting as almost any heavyweight ever). The fact that he's not even going into international wrestling after makes me less interested still....

But yeah he's beatable like everyone else, hopefully he takes an L and the weights gets super interesting. 

On 11/17/2021 at 1:32 PM, hammerlockthree said:

Who said "fair"?

Hard disagree. Snyder, Gwiz, and Coon have combined for 3 gold, 4 silver, and 3 bronze.

Gable’s 1 Olympic gold and all the age group medals mean nada when you use the words “best ever.” And don’t even come at me with the age group argument unless you start looking at the aforementioned group’s cadet/junior accolades too.

25 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Hard disagree. Snyder, Gwiz, and Coon have combined for 3 gold, 4 silver, and 3 bronze.

Gable’s 1 Olympic gold and all the age group medals mean nada when you use the words “best ever.” And don’t even come at me with the age group argument unless you start looking at the aforementioned group’s cadet/junior accolades too.

First off, you are counting results by guys, with the exception of Snyder, that happened after they graduated.  Steveson most likely gets nearly that medal count by himself if he decided to stay in Freestyle competition for as long as Snyder has.

On top of that, Snyder didn't win those medals at HWT and, by all accounts Akgul throttled him in the room, so he may not have medaled at all if he went HWT. 

After that, Coon won his medal in Greco. If you count that, Schultz can even be added to the mix and he is on a trajectory that most likely passes Coon, let alone equaling him.

Edited by MSU158

24 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

But none of Snyder's (international) golds were at heavyweight. Coon's gold was in greco, right?

4 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Yes and Coon's silver was in Greco.

And some -- probably most--of the medals by Snyder, Gwiz, and Coon were post-college. So the guys at heavyweight in college now might well match them in time.

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Yeah there are so many holes in this argument I don't know where to start....depth, the fact that Gable trumps all three of those guys badly, the fact that gwiz has lost to multiple younger guys in my group, the fact that my group is much younger than yours, the fact that the only reason you can mention Coon is because he beat snyder and he only beat snyder because he was 200 lbs heavier...

I guess we can revisit this argument in six years. Because the cold hard fact is Gable is done, and Parris + Kerk + Cass + Schultz have combined for zero world medals.

This 285 class is very deep, but not as deep as we think with rose-colored glasses. Not yet at least.