spladle08

Freshman Finalists?

Every year we have some freshman making their debut and usually there are 1 or 2 with national title hopes. 
Kharchla is on his 3rd year of college right? So I'm not counting him (Although he seems like the most capable making his starting debut)
Are there any potential Freshman Finalist?  or will it be a few years?

all the fifth year seniors will make this a lot harder. can't think of any weight where i think there is a good path for anyone new but assume that at least one will surprise me.
Yeah same feeling, I feel like I'm missing somebody.
I can't even come up with somebody where I say "maybe not consistently but this freshman could upset anyone"
Almost all weights just seem overwhelming with "known talents" .... You're right, that Covid year definitely added difficulty for the new guys .

35 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Every year we have some freshman making their debut and usually there are 1 or 2 with national title hopes. 
Kharchla is on his 3rd year of college right? So I'm not counting him (Although he seems like the most capable making his starting debut)
Are there any potential Freshman Finalist?  or will it be a few years?

Kharchla is a redshirt freshman.  2nd year, I believe.

19 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I think he had a good redshirt year, then missed a year with the knee right ?, Then we are caught up.

Unless you're calling him 2nd year because of covid free-shirt everyone got. But I'm 90% sure he's 3rd .

If I'm wrong I'm wrong

You are correct.  This is his third possible year he could compete collegiately.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/57703/kharchla-carson/profile

51 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

No love for Braxton Amos?

Speaking of Amos, have we seen him in folkstyle,  redshirt or otherwise, against anyone with a pulse. 
Even exhibition? Not doubting his obvious talent, just a real question, I see him all the time in FS/GR, but I can't remember any (Folk) results of note./

Edited by spladle08

20 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Speaking of Amos, have we seen him in folkstyle,  redshirt or otherwise, against anyone with a pulse. 
Even exhibition? Not doubting his obvious talent, just a real question, I see him all the time in FS/GR, but I can't remember any (Folk) results of note./

Well he is currently undefeated in college wrestling ;)

I know he won Super 32 three times, not sure who he beat though.

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

Well he is currently undefeated in college wrestling ;)

I know he won Super 32 three times, not sure who he beat though.

I meant in the last 2 years-ish :)  but yeah I know he's a tough customer. 
Just wondered if he had had any runs ins with killers. 
I'm sure we will get some good measuring sticks soon!

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

interested in him vs Cas, Parris, and GS....  whatever comes first, he slaughtered Gastank, might be a different animal this year. 

I think a lot of us were trying to say last year that Greg looked completely different health wise when he came back just before the post season as he had looked in those rokfin match ups. I think if he is healthy he is a completely different wrestler than what you saw at Bigs and NCAAs. 

40 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

He beat Parris in freestyle and not in a purely freestyle way at far less than 100 percent. If he can do that then he can possibly make the finals. 

That just isn't accurate to say when there isn't mat wrestling.  That is going to be the KEY component on whether or not Kerk can beat these guys.  There was never a doubt he is legit on his feet, but he got pounded by the top guys on bottom last year.  

6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

That just isn't accurate to say when there isn't mat wrestling.  That is going to be the KEY component on whether or not Kerk can beat these guys.  There was never a doubt he is legit on his feet, but he got pounded by the top guys on bottom last year.  

He was unhealthy last year too, and that is/was my point.