spladle08

Freshman Finalists?

Just now, TBar1977 said:

He was unhealthy last year too, and that is/was my point. 

I get that and that is why I said his mat wrestling is going to be the deciding factor.  Without being healthy he had next to no chance to work on that part of his wrestling, let alone make the significant improvements necessary against the top 3(who are ALL great on the mat).  But, you still can't say someone won a freestyle match without being freestyle centric when there is no mat wrestling.  Escapes, reversals and not being able to escape change the landscape considerably...

16 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I get that and that is why I said his mat wrestling is going to be the deciding factor.  Without being healthy he had next to no chance to work on that part of his wrestling, let alone make the significant improvements necessary against the top 3(who are ALL great on the mat).  But, you still can't say someone won a freestyle match without being freestyle centric when there is no mat wrestling.  Escapes, reversals and not being able to escape change the landscape considerably...

They do, and being healthy vs unhealthy makes a difference.

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

You think an "In-shape" DK has a chance at the finals? (Obviously not a freshman, but curious) 

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

If you are going to say Kerkvliet you probably should add in Starocci. 

Amos beat Kerk is what I was saying.

Wasn't eve close iirc.

Kerk looked REALLY good on top against Gas Tank, that surprised the heck out of me.  Tons of back points, and not of the feet-to-back-in-neutral variety - I had no idea he has such a tough top game.

Edited by Gantry

10 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:
Amos beat Kerk is what I was saying.
Wasn't eve close iirc.

No, I knew what you were saying I was just asking do you think Kerk at 100% is > Cass/Parris

I believe those three as well as Schultz can all beat one another.

I don't think the Steveson -> Parris -> Cassman -> Schultzy pecking order will change.  I don't know if Kerkvliet will climb that ladder quite yet.  I believe he will.  How high?  Below Parris.

I am actually most interested to see Cassman-Schultzy.  They both took very different approaches to lifestyle this last offseason.  Schultzy decided he wanted to be a full sized 130 kegger Greco guy and Cassman went decided to add quickness for the sacrifice of bulk.  Cassman relied on that bulk and strength to fuel his skill.  Taking a speed and strength approach is resorting to the Parris style of superior athleticism, strength, and speed.

I am going to stop there.  If we want to go at length of the status of heavyweight we should make a new thread.  

Edited by nhs67

I believe those three as well as Schultz can all beat one another.
I don't think the Steveson -> Parris -> Cassman -> Schultzy pecking order will change.  I don't know if Kerkvliet will climb that ladder quite yet.  I believe he will.  How high?  Below Parris.
I am actually most interested to see Cassman-Schultzy.  They both took very different approaches to lifestyle this last offseason.  Schultzy decided he wanted to be a full sized 130 kegger Greco guy and Cassman went decided to add quickness for the sacrifice of bulk.  Cassman relied on that bulk and strength to fuel his skill.  Taking a speed and strength approach is resorting to the Parris style of superior athleticism, strength, and speed.
I am going to stop there.  If we want to go at length of the status of heavyweight we should make a new thread.  
#Solid

1 minute ago, Gantry said:

Kerk looked REALLY good on top against Gas Tank, that surprised the heck out of me.  Tons of back points, and not of the feet-to-back-in-neutral variety - I had no idea he has such a tough top game.

He is the longest of the T5 heavies.  Also the tallest.

What are we actually at with heights?  My guesses:

Kerk 6'2"

Parris 6'1"

Steveson, Cassman 6'0"

Schultzy 5'6"

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He is the longest of the T5 heavies.  Also the tallest.

What are we actually at with heights?  My guesses:

Kerk 6'2"

Parris 6'1"

Steveson, Cassman 6'0"

Schultzy 5'6"

Steveson is listed at 6'1", for what it is worth.

Parris is listed at 6'2".

Kerkvliet is listed at 6'3".

Cassioppi is listed at 6'

Schultz is listed at 6'2"  so you are WAAAAAY off here!

Just now, MSU158 said:

Steveson is listed at 6'1", for what it is worth.

Parris is listed at 6'2".

Kerkvliet is listed at 6'3".

Cassioppi is listed at 6'

Schultz is listed at 6'2"  so you are WAAAAAY off here!

I know what they are listed at.  I don't think they are what they are listed at.  Especially Schultzy.  Coon had a foot on him.

19 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Steveson is more like 5-foot-10. No way is he six-foot-one. I don't know why they lie about heights. It ain't basketball.

He is 6'0"

Gwiazdowski is 6'1" which is the same height as Parris.  I have met Gwiazdowski on a few occasions.  We look eye to eye.  He is 6'1" and not an inch shorter.

Valencia will probably be forced into the ASU lineup at 174 as a true freshman. I wouldn’t predict a finals run, but anything is possible. Hopefully a Pac-12 title then see after that. 
Yeah I think we will have some NCAA qualifying freshman for sure. But 174...... Hopefully they let him have some time to develop, cause that would be rough

On 11/18/2021 at 9:07 AM, nhs67 said:

Jesse Ybarra(125) and Cullan Schriever(133) should also be in consideration, right?

Ybarra's not even gonna be the starter on his own team once Lee's back. Future contender for sure but no way he's even getting starts in a few weeks. 

24 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

Ybarra's not even gonna be the starter on his own team once Lee's back. Future contender for sure but no way he's even getting starts in a few weeks. 

My entire post was a $HlTpost.  Obviously Lee and Desanto are the 125 and 133 starters fot Iowa.

Edited by nhs67

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Well he has been competing at 197 this season

Ah gotcha, honestly I spaced for a moment about the season already going on. 

Jr world champs have had a good track record of doing well once they get to college, at least in recent memory. Any notable wins/results so far? 

Edited by BTC