spladle08

Freshman Finalists?

52 minutes ago, BTC said:

Ah gotcha, honestly I spaced for a moment about the season already going on. 

Jr world champs have had a good track record of doing well once they get to college, at least in recent memory. Any notable wins/results so far? 

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/62756/amos-braxton/profile

8-2 over Buffalo and 18-2 over Little Rock-Arkansas.

Buffalo kid is 5-4 on the year.  Lost to an unattached 4-2 at the Clarion Open, was pinslayed verse Harvard, and Brucki of Michiga. 20-4 techslayed him.

The LRA gent has lost twice via decision to some church guy and some ozark guy from lower divisions.

1 hour ago, BTC said:

Ah gotcha, honestly I spaced for a moment about the season already going on. 

Jr world champs have had a good track record of doing well once they get to college, at least in recent memory. Any notable wins/results so far? 

Not yet, only has a couple matches in.

Isn't Starocci technically a freshman (first year) since last year didn't count as time against his eligibility?

Same with Ford Pinto (Ferrari).  Both could conceivably be 5-time champs ... though highly (!) unlikely. 

There aren't many "true" or even "untrue" freshman with a chance of winning. 

Keegan O'Toole at 165 might be the most likely ... yes?

Isn't Starocci technically a freshman (first year) since last year didn't count as time against his eligibility?
Same with Ford Pinto (Ferrari).  Both could conceivably be 5-time champs ... though highly (!) unlikely. 
There aren't many "true" or even "untrue" freshman with a chance of winning. 
Keegan O'Toole at 165 might be the most likely ... yes?
Yeah I was more counting the unknowns (first time on the scene type guys )

And I don't think outside of Amos we have any

On 11/26/2021 at 4:27 AM, spladle08 said:

Yeah I was more counting the unknowns (first time on the scene type guys )

And I don't think outside of Amos we have any

I may be overreacting a bit, but I was more impressed with Hamiti than Amos from the UNC match alone (I made this judgment before hearing about the Hofstra results).  Very long and agile - extremely active and flexible.  Fun to watch.  

I may be overreacting a bit, but I was more impressed with Hamiti than Amos from the UNC match alone (I made this judgment before hearing about the Hofstra results).  Very long and agile - extremely active and flexible.  Fun to watch.  
Yeah Folkstyle dominance may not be Amos's bag.
Least we know/hope we will have a tough international guy for awhile

Going from 97kg to 197lbs might take a little time for his body to adjust. 

Personally, I wish the NCAA would do some minor shifting of the upper weights (an 11th weight class ain't happening) to get a weight class a little closer to 97kg for our NCAA guys so people like Amos, Moore, etc don't have to cut back down after freestyle szn. 

2 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Personally, I wish the NCAA would do some minor shifting of the upper weights (an 11th weight class ain't happening) to get a weight class a little closer to 97kg for our NCAA guys so people like Amos, Moore, etc don't have to cut back down after freestyle szn. 

So much this. I wish the NCAA would just mirror senior freestyle (except the dancing bears - they can keep the extra ten pounds)

Kilos Pounds
57 126
61 135
65 144
70 155
74 164
79 175
86 190
92 203
97 214
125 285

3 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

He doesn't have to cut much for 197.  He went on record saying he didn't cut for his 205lb match against Dudley.  205lbs < 97kg.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:37 AM, flyingcement said:

I agree with this. Hamiti has looked tough, high attack rate, very dynamic and fun to watch.

12 minutes ago, ERBPAC said:

I agree with this. Hamiti has looked tough, high attack rate, very dynamic and fun to watch.

It might be a good thing there aren't any local betting shops here that would take a bet from me on Hamiti AAing this year, because I believe it.  The guy is truly phenomenal unless the matches I watched were unusual for him.  He might take a little seasoning before he wins the title, but at least one title is firmly within his grasp.  Something unique about his combination of length, pace, and ferocity.