Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State is not a threat this season

After watching the PSU-Army dual meet I can confidently say PSU is not a threat for the team title this season.

Even though they are returning 4 champs in RBY, Nick Lee, Starrocci and Brooks they have too many holes in the lineup.

125 - Will it be Hildebrant?  Maybe?  But if not they will likely not qualify this spot for NCAAs.

149 - Beau Bartlett is good but he is a 141.  He may qualify for NCAAs but won't get far wrestling up a weight.

157 - Apparently Barraclough majored Joe Lee, but then got majored 9-0 last night by the 32nd ranked wrestler.  This doesn't bode well for qualifying this spot -- likely to be a major hole

165 - Who is going to man this spot?  Creighton Edsell?  If Facundo goes I think he qualifies but this is also up in the air.

So 4 uncertain spots, at least 2 of them will likely be non-qualifiers.

Compare to Iowa who has 10/10 NCAA qualifiers and will qualify all 10 again.  Unless something drastic happens I think even if PSU has 4 champs again (which is very unlikely) they still fall short of winning the team title this year.

I have Iowa at  up to 10 AAs, probably minimum of 8 even if things go poorly, and up to 4 champs.

Lee - champ

Desanto - 2nd-4th

Eireman - 1st-4th

Murin - AA

Young - AA

Marinelli - 1st-6th

Kemerer - 1st or 2nd

Brands/Assad - AA

Warner - 2nd-4th

Cass - 2nd-4th

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Kinda agree.  The 3 returning champs look super impressive, like perhaps have even leveled up further impressive.

Kerk only weighs 231 and something not great with the eye test last night.  Some fatigue was showing and my biggest fear with Kerk is one of the top guys will be in the top position for extended time on him and his head will be in the mat.

It is early though.  I feel like one big wildcard will be the health of Iowa.  Teams with a lot of 5th year seniors have historically limped through the season and these IA guys are beyond that.

Red Crabs, which are native and exclusive to Australia, are beginning their annual migration across Christmas Island to the ocean.  Millions of crabs flood roads, parking lots, and front yards as they make their little journey.  Residents shut down roads, clear pathways, and even build little bridges to help the Crabs along their way.  It's really quite interesting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/11/18/red-crabs-shut-down-christmas-island-australia/8664418002/

1 minute ago, Class said:

Also -- Brands/Assad AA?  Not sure about that.  Assad lost to a high schooler and Brands last match was a curb stomping by the UNC kid that remains well down in the rankings.  Murin is questionable, a lot of guys is the 4-13 range that he is a coin flip or worse with.

I mean sure Murin and Brands might fizzle, but they will still qualify for NCAAs and at minimum, win two matches each.

7 minutes ago, Class said:

Kinda agree.  The 3 returning champs look super impressive, like perhaps have even leveled up further impressive.

Kerk only weighs 231 and something not great with the eye test last night.  Some fatigue was showing and my biggest fear with Kerk is one of the top guys will be in the top position for extended time on him and his head will be in the mat.

It is early though.  I feel like one big wildcard will be the health of Iowa.  Teams with a lot of 5th year seniors have historically limped through the season and these IA guys are beyond that.

Yeah Kerk is so talented but he's going to get Cassiopi'd by any AA-caliber HWT over 260 pounds.  I see him finishing anywhere from 3rd-7th this year. 

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

After watching the PSU-Army dual meet I can confidently say PSU is not a threat for the team title this season.

Even though they are returning 4 champs in RBY, Nick Lee, Starrocci and Brooks they have too many holes in the lineup.

125 - Will it be Hildebrant?  Maybe?  But if not they will likely not qualify this spot for NCAAs.

149 - Beau Bartlett is good but he is a 141.  He may qualify for NCAAs but won't get far wrestling up a weight.

157 - Apparently Barraclough majored Joe Lee, but then got majored 9-0 last night by the 32nd ranked wrestler.  This doesn't bode well for qualifying this spot -- likely to be a major hole

165 - Who is going to man this spot?  Creighton Edsell?  If Facundo goes I think he qualifies but this is also up in the air.

So 4 uncertain spots, at least 2 of them will likely be non-qualifiers.

Compare to Iowa who has 10/10 NCAA qualifiers and will qualify all 10 again.  Unless something drastic happens I think even if PSU has 4 champs again (which is very unlikely) they still fall short of winning the team title this year.

I have Iowa at  up to 10 AAs, probably minimum of 8 even if things go poorly, and up to 4 champs.

Lee - champ

Desanto - 2nd-4th

Eireman - 1st-4th

Murin - AA

Young - AA

Marinelli - 1st-6th

Kemerer - 1st or 2nd

Brands/Assad - AA

Warner - 2nd-4th

Cass - 2nd-4th

I know you follow all these threads and you know Hildebrandt will be the 125 ,

Barlett isnt very aggressive but his defense is already elite, he can lose to some guys but he can also probably beat anyone other then yianni at 149 …

Warner 2-4? Hitting the bottle early today huh? Warner may be finish lower then 4th in the big ten, Dean, Amos, Brucki, Caffey, Schultz, Bulsak, …I’d favor 4 of them over Warner and wouldn’t be surprised to see the other 2 beat him 

another year another season of Jimmy cinnamon pop tarts trolling 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Barlett isnt very aggressive but his defense is already elite, he can lose to some guys but he can also probably beat anyone other then yianni at 149 …

Warner 2-4? Hitting the bottle early today huh? Warner may be finish lower then 4th in the big ten, Dean, Amos, Brucki, Caffey, Schultz, Bulsak, …I’d favor 4 of them over Warner and wouldn’t be surprised to see the other 2 beat him 

Bartlett is very good, as I said.  He is also a  141 pounder wrestling up a weight.  He looked comically small vs Army last night.  Credit to him for finding a way to win anyway in OT.

Yes, Warner is very good.

You would favor PSU over Iowa for the team title?

26 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Red Crabs, which are native and exclusive to Australia, are beginning their annual migration across Christmas Island to the ocean.  Millions of crabs flood roads, parking lots, and front yards as they make their little journey.  Residents shut down roads, clear pathways, and even build little bridges to help the Crabs along their way.  It's really quite interesting.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/11/18/red-crabs-shut-down-christmas-island-australia/8664418002/

Auzzie, auzzie, auzzie!

Crabs, crabs, crabs!

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

So, Bartlett can beat "anyone" at 149 but Yianni when he didn't even qualify for NCAA's last season.  But, Warner probably loses to at least 6 guys when he has AA'd EVERY time he has wrestled and took 4th last season only losing to Ferrari and Amine?  I give you credit those blue and white glasses have to be permanently attached to your head!

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

So, Bartlett can beat "anyone" at 149 but Yianni when he didn't even qualify for NCAA's last season.  But, Warner probably loses to at least 6 guys when he has AA'd EVERY time he has wrestled and took 4th last season only losing to Ferrari and Amine?  I give you credit those blue and white glasses have to be permanently attached to your head!

People don't seem to realize how good Warner is.  I don't think he wins it all, but he's going to be top 4.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Bartlett is very good, as I said.  He is also a  141 pounder wrestling up a weight.  He looked comically small vs Army last night.  Credit to him for finding a way to win anyway in OT.

Yes, Warner is very good.

You would favor PSU over Iowa for the team title?

No I wouldn’t favor them, but with the points Michigan and Cornell are going to get this year that they didn’t last year I think the team race is going to come down to the wire and penn state always outperforms the competition at ncaas I’d say they have a great chance 

Warner is good but I can name 8-9 guys right now that no one would be surprised if they beat him, he could very lose a quarter and R12 , 197 is deeper then it’s been in a long time

and the guy that Bartlett wrestled is a 5th year senior and one of the bigger 149s in the whole country

Edited by Antitroll2828

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

People don't seem to realize how good Warner is.  I don't think he wins it all, but he's going to be top 4.

Yeah, even his own fans are pretty hard on him.  HR beats up on him pretty good.  A lot of that has do with his style.  He has a tendency to wrestle very defensive and often sat on leads.  However, I think the Reenan scare was the BEST THING to happen to him.  He wrestled his best tournament BY FAR the last 5 minutes of that match and every match thereafter. 

If he wrestles that way this season he should be top 5 and I see no reason why he couldn't be wrestling on Saturday night if things go right. 

The crap being piled on Kerkvliet is plain funny. He beat 3 of Intermat's current top 10 last spring, bonused 2 of them, while wrestling at maybe 2/3 capacity. Healthy this year he has won by TF, F, and last nite 14-3 major with over 5 minutes riding time on a 258.4 lbs Hwt. who outweighed him by 27lbs. 

And Traub doesn't give up 16-0 losses. He has been majored 2x in his career, one by Conan Jennings the other by Gable Steveson. Kerk looks pretty good right now. 

Just now, TBar1977 said:

The crap being piled on Kerkvliet is plain funny. He beat 3 of Intermat's current top 10 last spring, bonused 2 of them, while wrestling at maybe 2/3 capacity. Healthy this year he has won by TF, F, and last nite 14-3 major with over 5 minutes riding time on a 258.4 lbs Hwt. who outweighed him by 27lbs. 

And Traub doesn't give up 16-0 losses. He has been majored 2x in his career, one by Conan Jennings the other by Gable Steveson. Kerk looks pretty good right now. 

What crap is being piled onto him?  Because I don't see ANY.  The only thing I see is people saying that he needs to SHOW he can beat guys who CONVINCINGLY beat him last season, before saying he will.  I mean that is just literal common sense...

12 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Bartlett didn’t qualify bc he lost 7-5 in OT to Thomas who went on to take 3rd in the country, since then he’s added strength and won a world bronze so yea I stand by my statement , he also dropped a 1 point match to Sasso last year in his first match 

so are we going to pretend that Warner should’ve been decked 1st round but the ref had to battle a bout of temporary blindness? Now 197 has Ferrari, Amos, Dean, Caffey, Schultz, Bonocorsi, Woodley, Elam , Brucki, Norfleet, Sloan , Darmstadt/ Cardenas and Lou Deprez, but no Its not a brutal weight I just must be biased 

Edited by Antitroll2828

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I doubt that. He got 4th last year but that field didn't include Darmstadt, Max Dean, Patrick Brucki, and Braxton Amos just off the top of my head. Then you have the other guys who are back all of whom can beat him like Bonnacorsi, an improving Rocky Elam, an improving  Jay Aiello, Kordell Norfleet, Tanner Sloan, and guys who are very close with him just in the Big10 like Shultz and Caffey.

Warner has slow feet. I think he finishes lower than 4th.  

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Lets bet then , if Jacob Warner doesn’t take 4th this year, you retire Jimmy Cinnabon , if he takes 4th or better I’ll pay off your debt that the one guy on here always brings up

Wasn't meaning to be overly critical of Kerk.  Dude is crazy impressive but there are such clear levels to the heavyweight class.  Think he will pile up a lot of bonus and look good all year and if healthy will continue to progress for a few more years, but right now concerned that at where he is weighing in those guys in the top tier will pose a challenge, particularly with mat wrestling and fatigue in the latter minutes dealing with a weight deficit.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yeah Kerk is so talented but he's going to get Cassiopi'd by any AA-caliber HWT over 260 pounds.  I see him finishing anywhere from 3rd-7th this year. 

9 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

What crap is being piled onto him?  Because I don't see ANY.  The only thing I see is people saying that he needs to SHOW he can beat guys who CONVINCINGLY beat him last season, before saying he will.  I mean that is just literal common sense...

Witness the post above yours. 

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Lets bet then , if Jacob Warner doesn’t take 4th this year, you retire Jimmy Cinnabon , if he takes 4th or better I’ll pay off your debt that the one guy on here always brings up

Ok.  If Warner places 1-4th this year, I win.  If he places 5th or lower you win.  If for some reason he doesn't qualify for NCAAs or can't participate at all it's a push.

Also, if I win you have to wear a sig that says something to the effect of "Jimmy Cinnabon knows more about wrestling than I ever will" for 1 year.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

12 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

and the guy that Bartlett wrestled is a 5th year senior and one of the bigger 149s in the whole country

True - but the size disparity was similar in his match against Oregon State.  Credit to him for finding a way to overcome.

As to the overall strength of PSU to challenge Iowa in a tournament, it will take some development/improvement at the noted weights, but PSU has been good at this.  As to Kerk, is his size much different than Cassar's when he won it?   On the bright side for PSU, Dean and Beard provide great depth and quaility at 197 that may catch and pass Warner (50/50) - both with impressive wins over a pretty tough Army wrestler.  

2 minutes ago, Class said:

Wasn't meaning to be overly critical of Kerk.  Dude is crazy impressive but there are such clear levels to the heavyweight class.  Think he will pile up a lot of bonus and look good all year and if healthy will continue to progress for a few more years, but right now concerned that at where he is weighing in those guys in the top tier will pose a challenge, particularly with mat wrestling and fatigue in the latter minutes dealing with a weight deficit.

Let me just say something here. Even before he got hurt last year when he was destroying senior guys in those rokfin freestyle match ups he was basically using only one TD, a far leg cross ankle pick. I have seen him this year, admittedly against lesser competition, using all kinds of TDs. Inside and outside single legs, doubles from space and with near level changes, go behinds. He has improved offense this year. Who knows if that beats Cassioppi or not, but it isn't going to be easy for those other guys like it was last year. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Ok.  If Warner places 1-4th this year, I win.  If he places 5th or lower you win.  If for some reason he doesn't qualify for NCAAs or can't participate at all it's a push.

Also, if I win you have to wear a sig that says something to the effect of "Jimmy Cinnabon knows more about wrestling than I ever will" for 1 year.

He won't honor his side of this bet, Antitroll. Don't do it. 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Bartlett didn’t qualify bc he lost 7-5 in OT to Thomas who went on to take 3rd in the country, since then he’s added strength and won a world bronze so yea I stand by my statement 

so are we going to pretend that Warner should’ve been decked 1st round but the ref had to battle a bout of temporary blindness? Now 197 has Ferrari, Amos, Dean, Caffey, Schultz, Bonocorsi, Woodley, Elam , Brucki, Norfleet, Sloan , Darmstadt/ Cardenas and Lou Deprez, but no Its not a brutal weight I just must be biased 

There is NOTHING worse in wrestling than whining about a pin not being called like it should have been.  It wasn't get over it.  The part of that situation that is considerably more telling is that he CAME BACK from that deficit to win the match and 4 more after that.

To be clear, he beat Caffey and Woodley in that tournament.  On top of that he has beaten Schultz and Brucki and placed above Elam, Norfleet and Sloan in that same tournament.  197 also had Amine in it whom I would put ahead of anyone you added to the group.

Now, my issue isn't so much saying Warner is beatable, it is calling for it when he has done as well as he has while calling for Bartlett to win matches over guys he HAS yet to beat.  Do you not see the bias?