gobraves101905

ASU vs Oklahoma

ASU is going to have to pull Cael’s redshirt 
I agree. Zane gassed early and didn't look good at all. He and Nummer looked like they spent the year lifting weights instead of wrestling.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Surprised Norfleet lost. He stood around too much and waited instead of making something happen. Schultz doesn't take a shot the whole match and Oklahoma gets deducted a team point for their heavyweight taking a pop at Schultz out of bounds after the whistle. Schultz wins 5-1. He's a true heavy, but to contend with guys like Gable, Cass and Parris he needs to shoot. 

6 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Surprised Norfleet lost. He stood around too much and waited instead of making something happen. Schultz doesn't take a shot the whole match and Oklahoma gets deducted a team point for their heavyweight taking a pop at Schultz out of bounds after the whistle. Schultz wins 5-1. He's a true heavy, but to contend with guys like Gable, Cass and Parris he needs to shoot. 

You do realize he is a Greco guy, right? “Shooting” isn’t going to happen. 

I heard the former ASU wrestler announcer (Kraus) say that Cael Valencia is going to be redshirted this season.  That's probably the best thing to do but I have to wonder how bad things have to become for ASU at 174 lbs before they change their mind about that decision.   If Coleman is the answer then....................(I won't finish that thought).

Too bad for ASU that Trey Munoz chose to transfer to Oregon State after last season.   ASU - team wise - would have been MUCH better off last night with Munoz at 174 lbs.

Kordell Norfleet - to me - looks like the passion he USED to have for wrestling is no longer there.  He just simply does not look like the guy he used to be in years past.

Yeah, all he did last season was place 4th as a Freshman at the 2021 NCAA tournament - with a 5-2 record at the NCAA tournament.  With both losses to Iowa's Cassioppi (4-1 and 5-0).  With his 5 NCAA tournament wins coming vs # 13 Harris of Oklahoma State (MD 9-0), # 15 Andrews of Wyoming (by DQ), # 16 Traxler of Stanford (by FALL in 0:44), #8 Kerkvliet of Penn State (14-8) and #10 Gremmel of Iowa State (3-1 in SV OT #1 )

9 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Yeah, all he did last season was place 4th as a Freshman at the 2021 NCAA tournament - with a 5-2 record at the NCAA tournament.  With both losses to Iowa's Cassioppi (4-1 and 5-0).  With his 5 NCAA tournament wins coming vs # 13 Harris of Oklahoma State (MD 9-0), # 15 Andrews of Wyoming (by DQ), # 16 Traxler of Stanford (by FALL in 0:44), #8 Kerkvliet of Penn State (14-8) and #10 Gremmel of Iowa State (3-1 in SV OT #1 )

Apparently 4th at NCAAs is not one of the better guys.  

As long as he is taking real estate from these guys, he can go the rest of his life without taking a shot.

Shultz is big...he's hard to get out of position... and he has solid upper body position. It is enough to put him at the top of the second tier of heavyweights right now. However, he will need a lot more to his game to beat the top level guys this season. I would not pick him in a rematch with Kerk. I can easily seem him finishing the same or lower this season. When the top tier guys are gone after this season he will contend for a title - but he will still have to up his offensive game to beat Kerk and other more athletic heavies coming up. He is definitely the future of greco for the US. 

21 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Apparently 4th at NCAAs is not one of the better guys.  

As long as he is taking real estate from these guys, he can go the rest of his life without taking a shot.

He's not going to score points against the better heavyweights in college like that. The guy he beat last night wasn't that good comparatively and he should have beaten him by a lot more than 3 points. Standing in front of Steveson, Cass, Parris or Kerk is just asking for problems. I don't even think he threw in a level change or fake once. Once better guys figure out there's no leg attack coming, it's going to have guys wrestling with a lot less fear. 

26 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

He's not going to score points against the better heavyweights in college like that. The guy he beat last night wasn't that good comparatively and he should have beaten him by a lot more than 3 points. Standing in front of Steveson, Cass, Parris or Kerk is just asking for problems. I don't even think he threw in a level change or fake once. Once better guys figure out there's no leg attack coming, it's going to have guys wrestling with a lot less fear. 

Guys don’t miraculously change their style at the DI level. Especially big heavyweights. It’s taken nearly all of them years and years of hard work to develop the skill set that got them there in the 1st place. Now many continue to refine those skills as the level of opponent t increases, but a guy like Schultz doesn’t all of a sudden start hitting sweep singles and it is pretty much ridiculous to expect otherwise. On top of that, if he started trying it he would probably actually lose more because it would open him up to Counters and wrestling positions he has next to no experience in.