Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Yianna vs Abas

40 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Unless you are gonna make an accusation, pertaining to Koll leaving cornell for reasons of being fired imminently....what are you talking about?  

Koll had no obligation to help Stanford. I have no doubt that the move benefited Koll and that's fine. But Yianni might be a bit annoyed that he left.

2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

What? He couldn't leave cause it might annoy yianni?

What was your point?

Never suggested that he could not leave. But it's possible that Koll choosing to leave annoyed Yianni. I don't think so since Yianni is a cool dude. But it's possible. Otherwise, I don't understand the crying gesture.

12 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Never suggested that he could not leave. But it's possible that Koll choosing to leave annoyed Yianni. I don't think so since Yianni is a cool dude. But it's possible. Otherwise, I don't understand the crying gesture.

If you go back and look when the officials were discussing the penalty (the shoe-lace grab?) it looked like Koll actually came onto the mat at one point to say something to Yianni; it may be that someone on the bench was also jawing at Yianni (you couldn't see who, but it appeared Yianni was looking that way).  That may have been what the crying gesture at the end was about.  That said - I just think Yianni was getting frustrated by Abbas's social distancing policy.

6 minutes ago, red blades said:

If you go back and look when the officials were discussing the penalty (the shoe-lace grab?) it looked like Koll actually came onto the mat at one point to say something to Yianni; it may be that someone on the bench was also jawing at Yianni (you couldn't see who, but it appeared Yianni was looking that way).  That may have been what the crying gesture at the end was about.  That said - I just think Yianni was getting frustrated by Abbas's social distancing policy.

I have never seen a penalty for grabbing a shoelace. As for Abas stalling, I thought he was the aggressor late in the match. If Koll came onto the mat to jaw at Yianni, that's not cool at all.

Edited by NJDan

1 minute ago, klehner said:

Did anyone notice that, contrary to past tradition at Cornell, none of the lightweights went to shake the Stanford coaches hands after their individual matches?

Actually, I saw Yianni did.  I didn't really notice the others. 

Just now, red blades said:

Can't grab any part of clothing.

I believe it's a penalty, just seems very rare, very unintentional and very inconsequential. Yianni got two points on penalties, IIRC, the shoelace and a stall. Not a resounding win.

24 minutes ago, red blades said:

Looking at it again, it appeared that Koll was pointing to Yianni's shoelace.  Possibly saying it was Yianni's fault, and that *he* should have been penalized.  Koll apparently thought the mistake by the ref in awarding the technical penalty to Abas was correct, and sorta lost it when Grey talked to the ref and pointed out the error and it was reversed.  I thought that the ref threw Koll out (no sure what that arm motion by the ref indicated), but he didn't.

10 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I believe it's a penalty, just seems very rare, very unintentional and very inconsequential. 

I seem to recall someone losing a national championship on a similar call.  Inconsequential?

13 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Yianni got two points on penalties, IIRC, the shoelace and a stall. Not a resounding win.

Perhaps Yianni's crying gesture was directed at NJ Dan.

17 minutes ago, red blades said:

I seem to recall someone losing a national championship on a similar call.  Inconsequential?

Perhaps Yianni's crying gesture was directed at NJ Dan.

Who lost a national championship on a "similar" call. What was the call? By "inconsequential" I mean that it leads to no advantage unlike, say, grabbing a singlet. Of course, Yianni would have won w/o that point.

7 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Who lost a national championship on a "similar" call. What was the call? By "inconsequential" I mean that it leads to no advantage unlike, say, grabbing a singlet.

Not true in this case.  Grabbing the shoelaces prevented Yianni from circling around and getting a takedown.  Kind of "consequential" at that point in the match.

1 minute ago, klehner said:

Not true in this case.  Grabbing the shoelaces prevented Yianni from circling around and getting a takedown.  Kind of "consequential" at that point in the match.

OK, if what you say is true. I certainly missed it. To me it's hard to imagine that a grabbed shoelace would prevent Yianni from circling. I will go back and watch again.

29 minutes ago, klehner said:

Looking at it again, it appeared that Koll was pointing to Yianni's shoelace.  Possibly saying it was Yianni's fault, and that *he* should have been penalized.  Koll apparently thought the mistake by the ref in awarding the technical penalty to Abas was correct, and sorta lost it when Grey talked to the ref and pointed out the error and it was reversed.  I thought that the ref threw Koll out (no sure what that arm motion by the ref indicated), but he didn't.

The error that Grey pointed out was a really stupid call by the ref which was unrelated to the technical violation. Yianni up 2-0 gives up the escape to make it 2-1. Shortly after, there is a scramble and the ref has a brain fart and forgets that the wrestlers are in neutral. He calls Yianni for locked hands. During the scramble, the grabbing of the uniform happened and was not immediately called.

The referees conversed and awarded the point for locked hands making the score 2-2. THAT IS WHEN Grey talked to the ref explaining that they were in neutral so locking hands is OK. 

The refs huddled again and took away the locked hands point making it 2-1 AND gave the point for the grab.

I have no idea what Yianni's cry gesture was about but he may have just been busting Koll's balls. My takeaway from this bout is that Yianni belongs at 141 when Hunter Richard returns.