Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Yianna vs Abas

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

OK, if what you say is true. I certainly missed it. To me it's hard to imagine that a grabbed shoelace would prevent Yianni from circling. I will go back and watch again.

It doesn't matter if they gain an advantage. It's a rule that you can't grab any part of the opponents singlet, headgear, kneepads or shoes. 

11 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

The error that Grey pointed out was a really stupid call by the ref which was unrelated to the technical violation. Yianni up 2-0 gives up the escape to make it 2-1. Shortly after, there is a scramble and the ref has a brain fart and forgets that the wrestlers are in neutral. He calls Yianni for locked hands. During the scramble, the grabbing of the uniform happened and was not immediately called.

The referees conversed and awarded the point for locked hands making the score 2-2. THAT IS WHEN Grey talked to the ref explaining that they were in neutral so locking hands is OK. 

The refs huddled again and took away the locked hands point making it 2-1 AND gave the point for the grab.

I have no idea what Yianni's cry gesture was about but he may have just been busting Koll's balls. My takeaway from this bout is that Yianni belongs at 141 when Hunter Richard returns. 

Looked to me that the lace grab was for about a second. But you are saying that the penalty was actually something else-- but that they forgot to award the point at the time? I didn't see that. I did see the locked hands call, which, as you say, made no sense.  But reversing that call should have left the score 2-1, not 3-1, unless they also awarded a point for the shoelace grab which came a moment later. And I guess the shoelace call was technically correct, but very ticky tack. That said, it made no difference in the result.

I also did not see Koll say anything to Yianni.

Edited by NJDan

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Looked to me that the lace grab was for about a second. But you are saying that the penalty was actually something else-- but that they forgot to award the point at the time? I didn't see that. I did see the locked hands call, which, as you say, made no sense.  But reversing that call should have left the score 2-1, not 3-1, unless they also awarded a point for the shoelace grab which came a moment later. And I guess the shoelace call was technically correct, but very ticky tack.

This ^

6 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

The error that Grey pointed out was a really stupid call by the ref which was unrelated to the technical violation. Yianni up 2-0 gives up the escape to make it 2-1. Shortly after, there is a scramble and the ref has a brain fart and forgets that the wrestlers are in neutral. He calls Yianni for locked hands. During the scramble, the grabbing of the uniform happened and was not immediately called.

The referees conversed and awarded the point for locked hands making the score 2-2. THAT IS WHEN Grey talked to the ref explaining that they were in neutral so locking hands is OK. 

The refs huddled again and took away the locked hands point making it 2-1 AND gave the point for the grab.

I have no idea what Yianni's cry gesture was about but he may have just been busting Koll's balls. My takeaway from this bout is that Yianni belongs at 141 when Hunter Richard returns. 

That makes sense, thanks!

Agreed about Yianni/Hunter, with no disrespect for Handlovic.  And Yianni did go over and slap Koll's hand after the match.

15 hours ago, DanGerMan said:

My takeaway from this bout is that Yianni belongs at 141 when Hunter Richard returns. 

I agree with you that that is what ultimately happens--Yianni goes back down to 141 when Richard returns.

However, I disagree that YD "belongs" at 141 as opposed to 149.  YD is the the best guy at either 141 or 149; however 149 is less competitive than 141 with O'Connor up at 157, Mauller possibly taking a RS, and Boo retired.  YD had a close match where he beat Abas, who is probably one of the top 5 or so guys at 149 this season.  YD has teched Sasso in free.  Sasso is an easier match-up for YD than Nick Lee or Eierman at 141.  Tariq, Sherman, Ian Parker, and Dylan Duncan all moved up from 141 to 149 like YD.  Mitch Moore, Heil, Parco, Gomez, Lovett, and Bartlett are either smaller 149's or have wrestled at 141/133 in the last couple of years.  That only leaves Yahya and Andonian--who are interesting match-ups but YD would be favored over.  

2 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

I agree with you that that is what ultimately happens--Yianni goes back down to 141 when Richard returns.

However, I disagree that YD "belongs" at 141 as opposed to 149.  YD is the the best guy at either 141 or 149; however 149 is less competitive than 141 with O'Connor up at 157, Mauller possibly taking a RS, and Boo retired.  YD had a close match where he beat Abas, who is probably one of the top 5 or so guys at 149 this season.  YD has teched Sasso in free.  Sasso is an easier match-up for YD than Nick Lee or Eierman at 141.  Tariq, Sherman, Ian Parker, and Dylan Duncan all moved up from 141 to 149 like YD.  Mitch Moore, Heil, Parco, Gomez, Lovett, and Bartlett are either smaller 149's or have wrestled at 141/133 in the last couple of years.  That only leaves Yahya and Andonian--who are interesting match-ups but YD would be favored over.  

I was speaking entirely in terms of his size and Cornell's needs. I wasn't looking for his easiest competition.

21 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

I was speaking entirely in terms of his size and Cornell's needs. I wasn't looking for his easiest competition.

You should....I think he goes 149 because its an easier weight...if his counterpart isn't gonna score a lot of points at NCAAs, why mess with a guy who could have an argument for being the 2nd best NCAA wrestler ever?

Don't confuse this opinion with the "he's good enough to skip the tough matches entirely" drivel that's so common these days. 

34 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

You should....I think he goes 149 because its an easier weight...if his counterpart isn't gonna score a lot of points at NCAAs, why mess with a guy who could have an argument for being the 2nd best NCAA wrestler ever?

Don't confuse this opinion with the "he's good enough to skip the tough matches entirely" drivel that's so common these days. 

His counterpart at 149, should Yianni go back to 141, is Hunter Richard, who was a couple of missed stalling calls away from beating Kolodzik twice (once in the EIWA finals match).  Yianni/Richard would score more points at NCAAs than would Handlovic/Yianni.

Grey genuinely believes that not is Yianni fine at 141 regardless of the immense quality there but that Richard is an AA quality kid 149.  Vito is more of a wash.  I still think he goes 125.  Cardenas is the leader at 197 for the starting spot.  

I will read the thread and maybe this is already answered, but in case it's not: aren't you responsible for securing your laces? If your shoes comes off, I think you get hit for a technical violation, no? Why isn't the penalty point on Yianni then? Maybe that rule is old? Or maybe there  two conflicting rules for the same situation?

50 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I will read the thread and maybe this is already answered, but in case it's not: aren't you responsible for securing your laces? If your shoes comes off, I think you get hit for a technical violation, no? Why isn't the penalty point on Yianni then? Maybe that rule is old? Or maybe there  two conflicting rules for the same situation?

Not if the other guy grabs the laces. You don't have to glue them down.