lu_alum

Ranking 165

20 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

That was my first thought.  And after O'Toole, would it be Bull or Wick?

To be fair to the reasoning, Alex only lost to the NCAA Champ last season and his only other loss since 2019 is to Joseph, whom he has beat multiple times.  He also has wins over Recent AA’s Wittlake and Amine and has beat Wick several times in a row. 

I get that he hasn’t got it done at NCAA’s, but a last second Takedown loss to the Champ while breaking ribs isn’t going to drop him down much…

2 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

won't know for sure until sometime tomorrow but I expect the top 5 will go Marinelli > Wick > O'Toole > Griffith > Wentzel.

will be giving it a lot of thought though so am definitely interested in hearing all the arguments. 

How do you decide where the previously-unranked Ramirez fits into the ranking, assuming that he shows up in the ranking?  Who do you now think he can beat who he couldn't previously?

Serious questions, no snark intended.

19 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

To be fair to the reasoning, Alex only lost to the NCAA Champ last season and his only other loss since 2019 is to Joseph, whom he has beat multiple times.  He also has wins over Recent AA’s Wittlake and Amine and has beat Wick several times in a row. 

I get that he hasn’t got it done at NCAA’s, but a last second Takedown loss to the Champ while breaking ribs isn’t going to drop him down much…

Thats fair.  I think Marinelli gets a bad rap sometimes and I can be guilty of perpetuating the theme. 

2 minutes ago, klehner said:

How do you decide where the previously-unranked Ramirez fits into the ranking, assuming that he shows up in the ranking?  Who do you now think he can beat who he couldn't previously?

Serious questions, no snark intended.

With great difficulty! 

This year's results are going to factor in the most. The Griffith win is huge, but Ramirez also lost to Matt Lee at the Kaloust Bearcat Open this year. Lee has a loss to Casella at the same tournament and no ranked wins (from this year or the last two) so that is going keep Ramirez from being ranked to highly. I'm guessing he'll end up somewhere in the low teens. he'll moved up or down quickly depending on how he does against his next ranked opponents. 

8 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

With great difficulty! 

This year's results are going to factor in the most. The Griffith win is huge, but Ramirez also lost to Matt Lee at the Kaloust Bearcat Open this year. Lee has a loss to Casella at the same tournament and no ranked wins (from this year or the last two) so that is going keep Ramirez from being ranked to highly. I'm guessing he'll end up somewhere in the low teens. he'll moved up or down quickly depending on how he does against his next ranked opponents. 

Next unfair question:  has an unranked guy (pick your ranking system) ever beaten a #1?

5 minutes ago, klehner said:

Next unfair question:  has an unranked guy (pick your ranking system) ever beaten a #1?

Pretty sure thats an easy yes.

true fr K Brock pinned defending champ his first match as a starter, pretty sure he was not ranked.  Said defending champ did not do as well that year but think he was prob #1 at the time cause early season.

darn it, nom beat me i typed too much info :(

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Seems like Brian Meyer will get a nice bump after defeating Wentzel.  Lehigh has a nice team this year.

Just watched that match, Wentzel had leverage late in a tie match and whiffed. 

wonder if it’s a different match if Wentzel takes up in the 3rd and tries to ride the whole 3rd period. 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Pretty sure thats an easy yes.

true fr K Brock pinned defending champ his first match as a starter, pretty sure he was not ranked.  Said defending champ did not do as well that year but think he was prob #1 at the time cause early season.

darn it, nom beat me i typed too much info :(

It’s pretty hard to do as well if you don’t win it again, but he was still REALLY good(25-3-his other 2 losses were to Garrett and he wrecked everyone else at NCAA’s), taking 3rd. He just ran into a buzzsaw in Nashon Garret, who had one of the most impressive single season I can remember. 

for reference:  https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/12037/brewer-cody/profile

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/12070/garrett-nahshon/profile

Edited by MSU158

2 minutes ago, SignificantACCBias said:

Here's how the remaining tourneys could look at 165:

CKLV: Wick, Griffith, Romero, Kharchla, Amine, J Ramirez

Niceville: Marinelli, O'Toole, Valencia

Midlands: Marinelli, Wick, Wentzell, Hartman

Scuffle: Griffith, O'Toole, Wittlake

Are Missouri and Iowa in the same pool in the Rofkin Duals?