lu1979

PSU vs Cornell

It appears that PSU and Cornell are in the same pool (Pool C) next week and will wrestle at College Duals  at the end of December (this was discussed in detail in the ranking 165 thread)  If both teams use the lineups they had in their season openers (Army & Stanford) it should be a very close match.  I would say that Cornell is favored at 4 weights and PSU at 5 with 133 a pick em match.  

125 - Shunk vs Greg D - Favors Cornell

133 - RBY vs Vito -  I call this a toss up - RBY is defending Champ and legitimately ranked # 1 but Vito has won their only meeting (in FS)

141 - Nick Lee vs Handlovic - Strongly favors PSU - bonus opportunity

149 - Bartlett vs Yianni D - Strongly favors Cornell - bonus opportunity

157 - Barraclough vs Yapoujian - Favors Cornell

165 - Edsell vs Rameriz - Favors Cornell

174 - C Star vs Foca - Favors PSU

184 - A Brooks vs Loew - Favors PSU - Possible bonus but Loew is pretty tough

197 - Dean vs Cardenas - Favors PSU but it is closer than ranking make it appear - I was thinking of calling this a toss up but JC has to prove he is on that level 1st.

285 - Kerk vs Fernandes - Strongly favors PSU - bonus opportunity

So that is my take on the dual with those lineups - either team could come up with some variations to their lineup.  I think it would be pretty amazing if the match came down to the winner at 197.

Edited by lu1979

9 minutes ago, Spladle88 said:

Aren't the ROKFIN (not ROFKIN for those easily confused) Collegiate Duals the Mon/Tuesday before Christmas (Dec 20/21)?

Yes I am sorry - they are Dec 20 -21st - I will correct my post

No problem and I mostly agree with the breakdown, in my opinion sets up to be one of the 2 or 3 most interesting duals of the year if both teams are healthy AND if both coaches wrestle their best lineup (not always a given unfortunately).

45 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

It appears that PSU and Cornell are in the same pool (Pool C) next week and will wrestle at College Duals  at the end of December (this was discussed in detail in the ranking 165 thread)  If both teams use the lineups they had in their season openers (Army & Stanford) it should be a very close match.  I would say that Cornell is favored at 4 weights and PSU at 5 with 133 a pick em match.  

133 - RBY vs Vito -  I call this a toss up - RBY is defending Champ and legitimately ranked # 1 but Vito has won their only meeting (in FS)

197 - Dean vs Cardenas - Favors PSU but it is closer than ranking make it appear - I was thinking of calling this a toss up but JC has to prove he is on that level 1st.

So that is my take on the dual with those lineups - either team could come up with some variations to their lineup.  I think it would be pretty amazing if the match came down to the winner at 197.

Fernandes looked like he hurt his knee pretty bad the other night, unfortunately I don’t think we see him  , and last time Starocci and Foca wrestled it was 10-3 their redshirt seasons and the match wasn’t even that close , I’ve been watching Foca for years and I’m a big fan but with the levels starocci jumped since then I wouldn’t be shocked to see bonus at 174 

51 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

where can we see the pools?

26 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Fernandes looked like he hurt his knee pretty bad the other night, unfortunately I don’t think we see him  , and last time Starocci and Foca wrestled it was 10-3 their redshirt seasons and the match wasn’t even that close , I’ve been watching Foca for years and I’m a big fan but with the levels starocci jumped since then I wouldn’t be shocked to see bonus at 174 

Fernandes walked off under his own power (albeit with a limp).  We'll see if he shows at CKLV, which will tell us quite a bit about who wrestles where at National Duals.

Nobody mentions Darmstadt any more...

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Joe Lee got beat down against Bearclaw in the wrestleoff.

Beat down? At 100 percent good health for Lee? 

Barraclaw himself got punished recently in one match. This leads me to believe we will see Joe Lee, just not sure when.

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

Kind of wild to think that over the course of 6 days Julian Ramirez loses to RSF Matt Lee and then beats returning champ Shane Griffith.

29 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Or so we are told.

It's not like PSU wrestle offs are streamed or anything. It has just been repeated enough that it is taken for gospel.

It was a Major Decision loss.

I am all for up to three Lee brothers wrestling as starters for the season.  I also believe we will see Facundo rather soon too.  If Penn State wants to win a Natty Title they won't do it without him as their 165lber.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I am all for up to three Lee brothers wrestling as starters for the season.  I also believe we will see Facundo rather soon too.  If Penn State wants to win a Natty Title they won't do it without him as their 165lber.

Again. You say it like you have some first hand knowledge. Which I doubt.

36 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Or so we are told.

It's not like PSU wrestle offs are streamed or anything. It has just been repeated enough that it is taken for gospel.

Bo Nickal got beat in a wrestleoff too. 

And nobody is claiming Joe Lee is the same caliber wrestler as Bo Nickal. 

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Yeah, the rumor mill said that too, so it must be true and need no context added, in other words a true beatdown. Right? 

3 minutes ago, CoachWrestling said:

Who beat Bo Nickal?

David Taylor.  OTT.  Missed it?

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

There is a reason he is still a minnow and a reason you still feel like quoting him. 

Obviously I am being a ponce.  Geesh.