Sign in to follow this  
College_Coach_4

Time for new leadership at the NWCA...

I have been saying this for years, but Wade Schalles makes a great point on his blog....

"Don’t hire wrestlers in executive positions. The challenge we face is wrestling has too much baggage. It’s been doing so many things wrong for so many years that anyone who comes from the sport already carries a pre-conditioned mindset that’s primed for failure. Instead, the sport needs individuals who aren’t encumbered by what has been, but rather what could be. Wrestling needs successful businessmen and if they came with law degrees and MBA’s from prestigious institutions that wouldn’t hurt either. The point I’m trying to make is David Stern stands 5’ 6” and never played basketball, Gary Bettman, the Commissioner of the National Hockey League never skated but during his tenure took the leagues revenues from $400 million to over $3 billion. Bud Selig never played organized baseball. Roger Goodell only played football in high school. These are the types of leaders wrestling needs."

Couldn't agree more!!!!

Moyer and current leadership need to be replaced by businessmen who will treat this as a business and raise money for new Division I programs, and other divisions as well.....do the right thing Moyer and go.

Moyer failed with his national duals at the Division I level. It's his final nail in the coffin.

Mike Moyer works incredibly hard for wrestling and never looks for anyone to pat him on the back. It's my understanding that the NWCA played a critical role in getting a full time, professional coach and better administration support at Sacred Heart, and there's a thread not far below this one showing the fruit of that labor.

I think it is important to recognize the limits of the association. Much different then the NBA, or any of the professional groups. Not at all a fair comparison. The NWCA has no ability to rule, fine, fire or hire. No governance at all. As for the Nat Dual endeavor? Understand that majority of the coaches support it, but not 100% or some of the top ranked programs. The NCAA thought it had value proposition.

The NCAA individual tourney stands alone. It does not compete with any other wrestling events. With the Nat Duals occurring in February it competes with HS. There are more HS fans then college fans. I don't believe it ever would have the same attendance when in competition with HS. That said, there were about 18K fans who attended the Nat Duals events. Most of those don't make it to the NCAA individual tourney.

Lastly, the majority of the membership comes from HS. There are about 10K members, of which 77 comes from D1 colleges.

Mike Moyer works incredibly hard for wrestling and never looks for anyone to pat him on the back. It's my understanding that the NWCA played a critical role in getting a full time, professional coach and better administration support at Sacred Heart, and there's a thread not far below this one showing the fruit of that labor.

To expound upon that, it is my understanding having conversations with people close to SHU that the administration had recommended the program be dropped TWICE in the last ten years and it was the NWCA that convinced the school to reverse course both times. The NWCA then put extensive man hours into an effort to try to guide the school and help them understand what was needed while working to direct donors their way.

Very few people are aware of these instances, and I only bring them up because it is pretty clear Sacred Heart is in a much better place now. But the reality is that the NWCA does a lot for wrestling that isn't known because if it were talked about it would further hurt the sport and those programs.

It is easy to sit back and complain but you have to realize that the NWCA has absolutely no power--all schools operate independent of the NWCA--they are not the NCAA and even the NCAA has limited powers. (Mobile)

So we'd need someone like David Stern to pitch how much wrestling is important to people, their kids, history, etc. --- you won't find that in someone who doesn't have any tie to wrestling.

I think having some wrestling background is almost a must for that position. It's an intangible that a non-wrestling businessman (or woman) not having can lose the hook.

Mike's saved more wrestling programs than anyone in the country. He's also been instrumental in saving more programs than anyone realizes, but if you want him to get the boot because coaches don't want to compete in an NWCA-run event, that's your opinion.

As far as Wade talking about not hiring wrestlers in executive positions, in some cases, I agree. But in that case, it's pot meeting kettle.

Wrestling people rarely let outsiders into our circle. We would not do well with a non-wrestler in the position of NWCA el Presidente.

I agree. I often think many wrestlers like to wear the 'no one understands us' badge.

I'll admit wrestling is essentially a closed circle. I've made ardent fans of some parents who never wrestled. Not just of high school wrestling when their sons were competing. I got them to attend clinics at a college and attend the NCAA tournament. They got to meet some of the tops in the sport because I knew them.

I've know Wade Schalles since 1973 his opinions are always something I've listened too with interest. We probably need someone who has been in private business who understands wrestling, to be the head man at USA Wrestling and the NWCA. Most wrestlers are introverts, Wade isn't. We need someone who has the drive and verbal skills to keep wrestling in the forefront.

I'm old enough to remember when the NBA wasn't a really big deal. I can remember when the NIT was bigger than the NCAA tournament. Wrestling has made strides as a junior in high school I was able to walk up to the ticket office and buy tickets for the 1962 NCAA finals in Gallagher Hall. That doesn't happen today. I find Mike Moyers will listen to ideas.

The problem is USA Wrestling and more specifically FILA. We need a vocal spokesperson in charge who is a good interview. Reagan wasn't a great administrator, he delegated what he wanted done, but his strength was selling his point of view to the American public. I don't agree with many things Obama has done and wants done, but I have to admit he is an eloquent speaker. Wrestling doesn't have an eloquent speaker in charge, and I think that is what is needed especially at FILA. You can hire qualified administrators. There is a reason why salesman are paid more than administrative personnel. Salesmen sell the product that is being made or offered. Wrestling doesn't have a great salesman right now.

Wrestling people rarely let outsiders into our circle. We would not do well with a non-wrestler in the position of NWCA el Presidente.

Not NWCA related but speaks to your point. The verbiage below is from the keepwrestlingintheolympics website for "Become a team captain:"

We need our best people to help in the fight to keep wrestling in the Olympics. If you are a former Olympian, current or former wrestling coach (college or high school), or former college All-America wrestler, we need you to serve as an “Olympic Team Captain.” As an Olympic Team Captain, you can help lead the fight to reverse the IOC’s decision to remove wrestling from the Olympics.

The verbiage certainly is limiting to a small group to get designated as a "team captain."

My grandma could have led the nba to success.

Says someone with an obvious lack of knowledge about the history of the NBA.

The finals were on tape delay before Stern. What hes done to globalize, market players is awesome and why NBA is wildly popular worldwide.

If you think it was always like that youre simply wrong.

The thread starter just said nothing is wrong with wrestling in the national duals dead string. He cites some sort of notion that wrestling is actually growing at the youth level as evidence.

You aren't a very bright mind or you have trouble reading.

You said wrestling is dying, I say its not dying and I cite evidence.

I didnt say nothing was wrong with wrestling, I said it was ok and could be doing better in some aspects, such as having new leadership in the NWCA with Wade Scahlles suggestion.

Learn to read, or reason, and have some interesting things to add, or stay off the boards. Making stupid statements like wrestling is dying clearly shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Wade Schalles is a blow hard.

He told me back when Dave Shultz was murdered "it was good for wrestling" couldn't buy that media attention wrestling received on major media outlets. Wade said it was like when Tayna Harding's goon hit Nance Kerrigan with the pipe - everyone was talking about it. Figureskating needed the contraversy.

Wade likes to hear himself talk.

Wade Schalles is a blow hard.

He told me back when Dave Shultz was murdered "it was good for wrestling" couldn't buy that media attention wrestling received on major media outlets. Wade said it was like when Tayna Harding's goon hit Nance Kerrigan with the pipe - everyone was talking about it. Figureskating needed the contraversy.

Wade likes to hear himself talk.

Well they are making a major motion picture about his life, so maybe he had a point.

I've just checked in to this thread, which is one of the best I've seen here in some time.

I've had the opportunity to work with Mike Moyer on several projects over the years, including National Duals. While National Duals cab be described as a failure, most of his projects were successful, He gets credit for saving numerous college programs, an for encouraging the addition of many more. The NWCA, led by Moyer, was behind the Weight Management Program now installed in most State HS associations. He is creative, and a good fund raiser. He gets a lot done with limited resources.

Could someone else do it better? Probably. Could the NWCA afford to pay the price? Maybe.

To condemn someone for the failure of one program initiative is like throwing the baby out with the bath watr, JJH

That's where she lived! Closer to laotto

My guess is she frequented the Sit 'N Bull.

I went there ONE time. It was prime hour, 10pm Saturday night and they were so not busy, they were re-shellacking the bar. Shellac being dissolvable with alcohol, I was amazed they were using it. I always meant to lookup if that was a totally crazy idea.

That's where she lived! Closer to laotto

My guess is she frequented the Sit 'N Bull.

I went there ONE time. It was prime hour, 10pm Saturday night and they were so not busy, they were re-shellacking the bar. Shellac being dissolvable with alcohol, I was amazed they were using it. I always meant to lookup if that was a totally crazy idea.

You need to go on wing night or Coney night. Their food is outstanding, best in Laotto.