Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Facilities if starting youth club (wrong board - I know)

Nobody goes on the youth board so posting here - sorry. I'm considering starting a youth club in a few yrs. in an urban, under-resourced community once my youngest is off to college. Will pick an area that is a "wrestling desert" & use it to build up the local high school program. Plan to make it free - I will pay for everything (mats, uniforms, shoes, tourney fees, etc.) - my only concern is space.

Anyone on here who's been involved with a youth club - what can I expect to pay for a facility or strip mall storefront? I feel like this is the most costly part of this endeavor - paying a monthly lease without having monthly club dues coming in. Would appreciate any thoughts on this if anyone has done this sort of thing before. I know cost is highly dependent on location, but let's assume in an under-resourced community property values will be low regardless. I realize I can talk to local schools to set up some sort of arrangement and that may make more fiscal sense - just trying to get a handle on all my options for now. Thanks!

That's great that you're doing that.  I am a quasi-member of an adult wrestling club that wrestles out of a strip mall.  In our case, the club doesn't own the space, but they rent the time at a Jui Jitsu gym.  There may be MMA, karate, or BJJ gyms near you that could have open time slots where you could provide them a sliver of additional revenue for a time the gym wasn't being used anyway.  

13 hours ago, flyingcement said:

That's great that you're doing that.  I am a quasi-member of an adult wrestling club that wrestles out of a strip mall.  In our case, the club doesn't own the space, but they rent the time at a Jui Jitsu gym.  There may be MMA, karate, or BJJ gyms near you that could have open time slots where you could provide them a sliver of additional revenue for a time the gym wasn't being used anyway.  

That's a good option too. Will need to work out an arrangement where I can keep my bourbon collection there for my video review sessions. 

Urban setting?

Get space in the basement of a church.   Roll up the mats when the church needs the space.  

The church is also often well connected to members of the community. 

When it works open other sites and you rotate between them so you can cover different parts of the community without needing the kids without means yo travel.