Katie

Which American has the greatest wrestling mind?

Which American has the greatest wrestling mind?

Of course, I’m not talking about who had the greatest success on the mat— although that would be a sign of a great wrestling mind.

What I’m talking about is, who understands techniques, nuances, strategies, etc better than anyone else?

Ben Askren must have a good mind for wrestling.  Lots of success and a whole bunch of physical deficiency.

Dan Gable has succeeded more as a coach than anybody else.  That is interesting because he isn't known as a person of nuance and has a reputation for knowing only the one strategy.

48 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Dake

Greetings, friends. Do you wish to look as happy as me? Well, you've got the power inside you right now. So, use it, and send one dollar to Happy Dude, 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield. Don't delay, eternal happiness is just a dollar away.

Mike eirman and roper are too of the better ones today. Don’t know if best but they’re good.

Mike Mal uses them to sound more expert than what I’ve been told he actually is 

15 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Most of the above answers are good.....I'll add the late great Dave Schultz......super technician and mat strategist.

His death may be another reason why USA dropped off in the early 2000s.

13 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Love him.

I'm old enough to remember where I was when I heard President Kennedy had been shot.  Similarly, in my mind, I will always remember where I was when I found out Dave had been shot.  Some of my favorite technique videos are of Dave teaching leg wrestling, hip tips/tilts, par terre and more.  

6 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

His death may be another reason why USA dropped off in the early 2000s.

Just imagine if he was still around.....he would definitely be at an RTC and or on the USA coaching staff.

3 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I'm old enough to remember where I was when I heard President Kennedy had been shot.  Similarly, in my mind, I will always remember where I was when I found out Dave had been shot.  Some of my favorite technique videos are of Dave teaching leg wrestling, hip tips/tilts, par terre and more.  

I was in a restaurant waiting for a takeout order when I glanced at a section of a newspaper lying on a chair with the story title saying that a wrestler had been shot earlier that day.  I initially thought it was some local incident, but my blood froze when my eyes locked onto the phrases "Dave Schultz" and "pronounced dead" in the article.  I had to read it several times before it sunk in.  

I have to go with Sanderson, particularly if this is an all encompassing thing.  He's at the very very top of short list for each and every aspect: organizer, ceo, fundraiser, recruiting, technician, game planning, development, keeping a very strong contributing staff, olympic medals, olympic champs.  When you add in a competition resume that may never be matched... it's hard to argue against, no matter what one may think of him on a personal level.

7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Ben Askren must have a good mind for wrestling.  Lots of success and a whole bunch of physical deficiency.

I’m not sure if 2 brothers both winning NCAA titles qualifies as “physically deficient”