Katie

Which American has the greatest wrestling mind?

13 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

It's nationalistic and xenophobic to ask which American is the best at anything. The starter of this topic must be a Trump supporter.

No one else who reacted understood your intended silliness. I feel you.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:08 PM, Plasmodium said:

Dan Gable has succeeded more as a coach than anybody else.  That is interesting because he isn't known as a person of nuance and has a reputation for knowing only the one strategy.

You clearly know nothing about Gable and how he ran his practice room if you think he only had one strategy and applied it to everyone equally.

31 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

You clearly know nothing about Gable and how he ran his practice room if you think he only had one strategy and applied it to everyone equally.

I think the brands brothers are what people think of with Iowa irregulardless of whether or not it matches reality 

On 11/26/2021 at 4:04 PM, jp157 said:

I think the brands brothers are what people think of with Iowa irregulardless of whether or not it matches reality 

Either way, they are excellent coaches with more strategy and skill than they get credit for because of their aggressive personalities 

Past and present included, I go with Dave Shultz as truly having a brilliant wrestling mind. The sad thing is, that he had much more to give to the wrestling world than we'll ever know. Dave was very protective of his immense knowledge. At a training camp for the Worlds, I came by to observe the team working out, and at one moment when there was a break in the action I asked him to show me how Olsen did his funky (crush the head and flip them over, now illegal in college) move. He pulled me into the next room, which was empty, to show me, clearly not wanting to share this move to others. And mind you, he was still competing when Dupont killed him. Many wrestlers are like this though while they're still competing. Sergia Beloglazov was the same way, for years even after finishing. My point is that if Dave were still alive he could have shared a wealth of knowledge that he was holding back until retirement. footnote:think of wrestlers/coaches who wouldn't/won't let you video them (Sammy Henson, Gray Simons, etc)

Bruce Burnett would be my next choice, master of preparing wrestlers for a match. While at Navy, he coached a backup wrestler preparing for his match with Army rival and 3x AA Phillip Simpson. Normally you don't spend a lot of time preparing a backup for the inevitable, and Phillip was a prolific pinner. But Burnett prepared his athlete mentally and technically to pull the incredible upset. I know Kolat is a hugh Burnett fan as well. Kenny Monday gives Burnett a shoutout in the Rudis documentary.

50 minutes ago, fullnelson said:

Past and present included, I go with Dave Shultz as truly having a brilliant wrestling mind. The sad thing is, that he had much more to give to the wrestling world than we'll ever know. Dave was very protective of his immense knowledge. At a training camp for the Worlds, I came by to observe the team working out, and at one moment when there was a break in the action I asked him to show me how Olsen did his funky (crush the head and flip them over, now illegal in college) move. He pulled me into the next room, which was empty, to show me, clearly not wanting to share this move to others. And mind you, he was still competing when Dupont killed him. Many wrestlers are like this though while they're still competing. Sergia Beloglazov was the same way, for years even after finishing. My point is that if Dave were still alive he could have shared a wealth of knowledge that he was holding back until retirement. footnote:think of wrestlers/coaches who wouldn't/won't let you video them (Sammy Henson, Gray Simons, etc)

Bruce Burnett would be my next choice, master of preparing wrestlers for a match. While at Navy, he coached a backup wrestler preparing for his match with Army rival and 3x AA Phillip Simpson. Normally you don't spend a lot of time preparing a backup for the inevitable, and Phillip was a prolific pinner. But Burnett prepared his athlete mentally and technically to pull the incredible upset. I know Kolat is a hugh Burnett fan as well. Kenny Monday gives Burnett a shoutout in the Rudis documentary.

I've always been a huge Burnett fan.  I was at a clinic for high school wrestlers and coaches.  Some senior national team members were in the vicinity loosening up.  Burnett was showing something to the high schoolers and coaches, and a world medalist came up to ask Bruce about some of that techniques intricacies.  That says a lot about the world medalist, but also about the esteem that our national team held him in.

33 minutes ago, 77again said:

Bobby Douglas.

For many reasons including

1. Coaching ASU to PAC 12s only  NCAA team title.

2. Brought ISU back to prominence.

3. Coached Cael Sanderson to only undefeated college career.

#3 is not correct

On 11/27/2021 at 5:40 AM, CA_Wrestler said:

For me, Dave Schultz.

Dan Gable.

Notice Gable in the background of the Stieber-Otoguro match. Otoguron wins. Stieber retires. Let's ask Dan about the weight. He looks good on film.

Wish Stieber was still in it. man he was good.

27 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

And now Brands' philosophy broke Cael's.  Therefore he must have the greatest mind in US wrestling.  

Having a year where Brands line up is 6th year seniors vs a bunch of PSU freshmen isn't breaking anything, it is a hiccup. 

The long term trend will start back up soon.

14 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Sort of a moot point when 2020 was taken from them.  

Doesn't change the larger point at all. Iowa has only won in the post Cael PSU era when they had a huge disparity in experience. The other year when this happened, Ohio State won.

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Doesn't change the larger point at all. Iowa has only won in the post Cael PSU era when they had a huge disparity in experience. The other year when this happened, Ohio State won.

I'm not really sure what your point is.  You're making excuses that aren't really relevant.  Almost everyone in the country could have said the same thing with regard to Penn State's lineup in 2019, and it wouldn't have been valid then either. 

Not to mention, any program that regularly utilizes grey shirts doesn't have a leg to stand on when trying to complain about the age of their competition.  

Just say "you can't win every year," or "PSU will be back on top starting in 2023," and move on.