nom

JB has declared himself the GOAT (for US)

Instagram post.  Of course he did it in a very tactful way.  And I think I agree with him.  Is it the way now to declare yourself the GOAT or to leave it to the masses and or pundits?

Edited by nom

I think you guys are misreading the post. The first paragraph is not referring to himself as the GOAT. It’s referring only to John Smith. Pretty much the whole post is an ode to Smith, which makes the context of that first paragraph more clear.

He only brings himself into it at the end, but only in the context of finally catching Smith’s 6. He doesn’t try to claim he surpassed him (though JB’s bronzes give him fodder for the argument), and makes a point to mention that Smith’s were consecutive. 

“onto7” he says at the end, as if to drive home the point that is is pausing with a nod to Smith, who he finally caught, as he tries to move ahead with 7. 

The last paragraph makes it clear that while John set the bar, JB has surpassed it.  Now to see who will surpass the bars they each set.  He is being tactful, but he is getting across that he has reached the bar.

46 minutes ago, nom said:

The last paragraph makes it clear that while John set the bar, JB has surpassed it.  Now to see who will surpass the bars they each set.  He is being tactful, but he is getting across that he has reached the bar.

Your first sentence says he thinks he “surpassed” the bar but your second sentence says he thinks he “reached” it. Those are different. I agree he is saying the latter, but not the former. Where does he say he surpassed Smith?

Yes he says “I” in the last couple sentences but the context of the post is all about Smith as GOAT, and a smattering of JB’s effort to match his 6 golds. At most JB is considering himself a co-GOAT with 6 golds. Or maybe he isn’t going to GOAT-land at all, and just referring to himself as joining Smith at the 6-gold-medal perch. Neither is the same as declaring himself the “new” GOAT.

Either way, your  original comment and titling of the thread are pretty accusatory, and I would have thought you would base that on more than just a very cynical spin on one of his IG posts.

Edited by BAC

1 hour ago, BAC said:

I think you guys are misreading the post. The first paragraph is not referring to himself as the GOAT. It’s referring only to John Smith. Pretty much the whole post is an ode to Smith, which makes the context of that first paragraph more clear.

He only brings himself into it at the end, but only in the context of finally catching Smith’s 6. He doesn’t try to claim he surpassed him (though JB’s bronzes give him fodder for the argument), and makes a point to mention that Smith’s were consecutive. 

“onto7” he says at the end, as if to drive home the point that is is pausing with a nod to Smith, who he finally caught, as he tries to move ahead with 7. 

I think you're the one misreading it.  He says the bar isn't standing.  He also says there may be another 4 year old who will pass him (like he passed the previous GOAT).  

You can argue for or against JB as the GOAT.  I think he's got a great argument.  You can argue for or against a social media post declaring yourself the greatest.  

But if you are reading that post and arguing that he isn't saying he is the greatest, then you are trying hard to convince yourself of something.

7 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I think you're the one misreading it.  He says the bar isn't standing.  He also says there may be another 4 year old who will pass him (like he passed the previous GOAT).  

You can argue for or against JB as the GOAT.  I think he's got a great argument.  You can argue for or against a social media post declaring yourself the greatest.  

But if you are reading that post and arguing that he isn't saying he is the greatest, then you are trying hard to convince yourself of something.

Lol now you are misreading MY post. Clearly he is saying he equaled Smith, at least his 6 golds. 

And yes, he says the bar isn’t standing, as in he plans to get 7 (and some kid may pass them both). But he isn’t saying he passed the bar now, only that he arrived at it.

You guys really need to reread it.

I’m literally the biggest JB fan of all time. I was telling people he was special before he won his first world title. But this post seems like he’s just trying to come up with content for his Instagram feed. Which is fine. It helps pay the bills, I assume. 

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, BTC said:

An example of recency bias if there ever was one. Without that second olympic  gold he will never surpass Smith. 

Or is your need for a second Olympic gold confirmation bias since you value olympic gold over world gold even though worlds has more participants and the post USSR world has changed the landscape entirely.

If Burroughs had won in 16, would you say Smith is better anyway since they were consecutive?

24 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

Or is your need for a second Olympic gold confirmation bias since you value olympic gold over world gold even though worlds has more participants and the post USSR world has changed the landscape entirely.

If Burroughs had won in 16, would you say Smith is better anyway since they were consecutive?

Almost everyone in the wrestling world places an olympic gold over a world gold. Shoot, everyone in the sports world values an Olympic gold over a world gold. Worlds may have more participants but they don't always have the best guys competing. The Olympics always draw the top talent. 

Smith won his last oly gold in 92 which was after the USSR was disbanded.

If Burroughs won in 16 then that would imo be enough to place him over Smith. However something has to be said for being the absolute best in the world for 6 years straight. You can't say the same for JB.

Edited by BTC

1 hour ago, BTC said:

Smith won his last oly gold in 92 which was after the USSR was disbanded.

You are either being disingenuous with this statement or aren't very knowledgeable about wrestling in the 92 Olympics.   Yes the USSR had disbanded prior to 1992 but the team competed as one Unified team.  The separate teams from the ex Soviet republics did not compete separately until the 1996 Olympics.  

14 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

JB had way deeper competition and Smith lost a match in there. JB has just as many golds and additional medals. I know Bruce has more medals but there just aren’t that many big dudes wrestling. The depth is substantially lower than 74kg.  Great argument, love them all!

Smith did lose a match in there.  

JB lost 5 in there.

A beautiful woman doesn't have to inform others that she is beautiful.

A supremely talented artist, a great writer or poet, a gifted musician, and a scientist or mathematician in possession (and display) of genius generally don't need to proclaim their worth to the world.

And yet it often seems the fragile egos of high-achieving athletes are in constant need of preening, massaging, and self-promotion, especially sprinters, boxers, and basketball players, among multiple others.

We might each draw our conclusions from these broad truths.

(Sometimes: alliseeisego)