nom

JB has declared himself the GOAT (for US)

1 hour ago, dmm53 said:

A beautiful woman doesn't have to inform others that she is beautiful.

A supremely talented artist, a great writer or poet, a gifted musician, and a scientist or mathematician in possession (and display) of genius generally don't need to proclaim their worth to the world.

And yet it often seems the fragile egos of high-achieving athletes are in constant need of preening, massaging, and self-promotion, especially sprinters, boxers, and basketball players, among multiple others.

We might each draw our conclusions from these broad truths.

(Sometimes: alliseeisego)

Did you really just type that athletes need more attention than musicians?  

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Lest we forget these guys are making $$ based on how much interaction they get on social media. I really don’t think JB’s ego needs any Twitter nurturing. Relax folks. 

Whats the point of this post? We shouldn't talk about it because it's on social media? We are only allowed to say nice things? JB can say whatever he wants as long as its in the vein of self-promotion?

5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Whats the point of this post? We shouldn't talk about it because it's on social media? We are only allowed to say nice things? JB can say whatever he wants as long as its in the vein of self-promotion?

Incorrect. None of that was the point of the post. 

42 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Social media… it’s 2021. If Dan Gable or John Smith’s supporting cast could’ve tweeted or instagrammed something egotistical in their era they would have.

Agreed.

In fact, I’d argue that this happens in every sport. When a new person believes himself or herself to have equaled or surpassed a legend, lots of people get upset and say he or she is being egotistical.

I think it just comes with the territory.  In order to make yourself into a legend, you have to believe in yourself absolutely.  There’s no other way it can be done. 

Edited by Katie

52 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Social media… it’s 2021. If Dan Gable or John Smith’s supporting cast could’ve tweeted or instagrammed something egotistical in their era they would have.

Again....does that mean we shouldn't have opinions? A core tenant of social media is that "there's no such thing as bad press," so not talking about it is the biggest crime of all. 

6 hours ago, boconnell said:

Did you really just type that athletes need more attention than musicians?  

Yes, I'm not talking about the great swath of pop musicians who are really mostly just flash-in-the-pan self-involved celebrities or wanna-bes.  I'm speaking about serious and ground-breaking musicians—composers, classical figures, some influential  jazz and blues artists, and the like. (America frequently finds it poets through music ... sometimes because it doesn't have patience, perspective, or a deep sense of history.)  Rock, rap, and all the recent iterations will likely vanish soon enough.  But, okay, there are many narcissistic musicians.  I prefaced my words with both "gifted" and "generally".   

“Who knows himself a braggart, let him fear this, for it will come to pass that every braggart shall be found an ass.” —Shakespeare

“I know words. I have the best words.” —D. J. T.

Ergo: _______________

14 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Well what was the point? 

Reads like you were trying to smugly take a dump on the topic by saying something everyone already knew and adding "relax".

You had to go back two hours later to edit and add to your response?  Wow. That must have really been working ya. 

Ok, big time JB fan @Katie acknowledges that Burroughs is self proclaiming GOAT status and is ok with it.  @BAC - please debate with Katie or are you done tying yourself in knots to avoid agreeing?

I’m not upset by it all.  I am a bit surprised since I think it is a little off theme for JB who I’ve always found to be kinda humble given his greatness.  Not completely humble, and that is fine.  I’m picturing him getting asked this question live on TV and giving props to John Smith and big Bruce, saying he is aiming to be, but letting the fans and the pundits decide.  Vs doing the same except at the end and instead saying - yes, I am the GOAT.

1 hour ago, nom said:

Ok, big time JB fan @Katie acknowledges that Burroughs is self proclaiming GOAT status and is ok with it.  @BAC - please debate with Katie or are you done tying yourself in knots to avoid agreeing?

I’m not upset by it all.  I am a bit surprised since I think it is a little off theme for JB who I’ve always found to be kinda humble given his greatness.  Not completely humble, and that is fine.  I’m picturing him getting asked this question live on TV and giving props to John Smith and big Bruce, saying he is aiming to be, but letting the fans and the pundits decide.  Vs doing the same except at the end and instead saying - yes, I am the GOAT.

I think JB’s post was mostly intended to draw interactions.  His message is sort of ambiguous, and reasonably leads people to disagree as to what exactly he’s saying.

I think JB stops short of saying he’s the GOAT.  As far as I can tell, he merely says he’s arrived at the bar of six world and Olympic golds.

But again, I think JB’s post was meant to spark the discussion as to who the GOAT is, so I don’t have a problem with people interpreting his post differently.

As an aside, if JB thought he was the American GOAT, I think that would be completely natural and expected for someone who has worked as hard as he has, and who has achieved what he has. 

Edited by Katie

It's amazing how people can read the same thing and take vastly different things away from it.  The way I read it, he was giving MAJOR props to John Smith and how is striving to surpass him; thus, essentially announcing he is making another run at Olympic gold.  Period.  I in no way took from the article that everything he wrote was about declaring himself the GOAT.

This is indisputable: he is tied for #1 for the most World-level Golds in US history. He is, by definition, one of the GOATs of our sport.

Everything after that is nuance -- we look at contemporaries, era of competition, style, impact on the sport, etc... typical GOAT talk. Every sport has it. Lebron vs Michael; Mayweather vs Cassius; John vs Jordan. It's what sport is made for.

We're lucky to not have any real standouts in our wrestling history in the ways that Russia has Karelin and Saitiev as their unanimous greats, because otherwise, how would the International board on TheMat get any attention??

He is so clearly proclaiming GOAT status.  Come on folks. He is enjoying the view from there!  You think he’d be enjoying the view from the second row?  Too funny how hard people can’t believe he is doing that.  

As wrestling becomes more of a professional  career and competition periods start spanning  decades regularly, I expect a lot of the under-inflated medal counts of past US wrestlers to be  overtaken.

Wrestling in prior US eras was typically something you did for an Olympic cycle.  It was a temporary scene and more of an experience than even a short term career.  And you were on your own. It wasn't a fun position to be in.  If an athlete  went longer than two cycles , you were a Maverick. If a coaching opportunity arose and you could get it,  most people would take it over competing.  

Same thing was true for other countries during certain times.  For the Eastern Bloc athletes when the Soviet Union fell, a  two time World and Euro champion like Rostorotzky was forced to leave wrestling  because of the terrible economic conditions whereas today (or at the height of the soviet union) he'd be a full time athlete. 

4 hours ago, moodybooty said:

and Saitiev as their unanimous greats, because otherwise, how would the International board on TheMat get any attention??

Why is Saitiev clearly above Medved? He is not more decorated. 

4 hours ago, nom said:

He is so clearly proclaiming GOAT status.  Come on folks. He is enjoying the view from there!  You think he’d be enjoying the view from the second row?  Too funny how hard people can’t believe he is doing that.  

This.

And JB is not the GOAT.  The GOAT is still John Smith.  6/6.