Jump to content
Elevator

Penn v. PSU Next Friday

Recommended Posts

125       Ryan Miller (UPenn) v Baylor Shunk (PSU)

            Miller is ranked HM by Flo and might have the edge on his feet.  Shunk has had some good moments early and has shown he can be dangerous on top.  Could be one of the most competitive of the night from two underclassmen trying to fight into the rankings.

133        2x Keystone Champ Michael Colaiocco (UPenn) v NCAA Champ Roman Bravo-Young (PSU)

            Bravo-Young probably will not be too intimidated by the Keystone titles.  Is there anyone better from neutral than Bravo-Young?   Flo ranks Colaiocco at #9 and this could be entertaining as he also wrestles at a high pace. 

141        2021 Keystone Champ Carmen Ferrante (UPenn) v. NCAA Champ Nick Lee (PSU)

            Ferrante is bumping up from 133 and Lee does not appear to have any vulnerabilities.

149      Anthony Artalona (UPenn) v. Beau Bartlett (PSU) 

            This would be a good match if it goes.  Anyone know if Artalona is competing?  Artalona is coming down from 157 (the last time he competed in NCAA wrestling two seasons back) and has not yet taken the mat this NCAA season.  If Artalona is not ready, Penn might have Grant Aronoff, Kaya Sement, or CJ Composto bumping up from 141.  Penn's best chance for the upset and some team points are with Artalona.

 157     Doug Zapf (UPenn) v. Terrell Barraclough (PSU)

            This should be close and one of Penn’s best chances to get some team points.

165      Lucas Revano (UPenn) v Creighton Edsell (PSU)

            I predict a good match with many points scored.  Also should be close and one of Penn’s best chances to get some team points.

174      Nick Incontrera (UPenn) v NCAA Champ Carter Starocci (PSU)

            Incontrera is a Flo HM and is off to a quick start this year.  Starocci does not, however, present any vulnerabilities and will be favored. 

184      Neil Antrassian (UPenn) v NCAA Champ Aaron Brooks (PSU)

            Antrassian has had a big gas tank, but tends to give up points. Brooks also has a big gas tank and tends to not give up points while scoring many points.  Brooks is considered very likely to prevail in this match.

 197     2021 Keystone Champ Cole Urbas (UPenn) v #2 Max Dean (PSU)

            Urbas is off to a good start this year and has been dangerous on top.  But not as dangerous as Dean, who seems to be at a higher level and is strongly favored.

 285     2021 Keystone Champ Ben Goldin (UPenn) v #4 Greg Kerkvliet (PSU)

            Goldin is about the same size as Kerkvliet and is fighting to get into the rankings.  Could be a fun match, but probably more fun for Kerkvliet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the names on the UPenn roster jumped out at me as hammers from PIAA AAA wrestling. Colaiocco, Zapf, and Urbas are all names that I have seen appearing in the "big dance" at Hershey, Pa. Is Penn now going to replace Penn State as the team that focuses on recruiting the local Pennsylvania talent? I can see how the school would appeal to wrestlers who are dedicated to getting a high-quality education and thinking about their future after wrestling. Looking at the PSU roster, it seems that only C Star achieved great things at the PIAA AAA tournament.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

Some of the names on the UPenn roster jumped out at me as hammers from PIAA AAA wrestling. Colaiocco, Zapf, and Urbas are all names that I have seen appearing in the "big dance" at Hershey, Pa. Is Penn now going to replace Penn State as the team that focuses on recruiting the local Pennsylvania talent? I can see how the school would appeal to wrestlers who are dedicated to getting a high-quality education and thinking about their future after wrestling. Looking at the PSU roster, it seems that only C Star achieved great things at the PIAA AAA tournament.  

Michael Colaiocco is from NJ and went to blair 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After looking at the U Penn roster, I guess I can see my mistake. The roster features more Blair Academy than PIAA AAA wrestlers, and most of the starters are from Prep schools, including Bergen Catholic, Lake Highland Prep, Camden Catholic, as well as Blair. I guess that's not surprising, as the strong academic programs at prep schools make these wrestlers well prepared for the rigorous programs at Ivy League Schools like UPenn. I also see that they snagged both of the Urbas brothers, hammers from the State College area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

After looking at the U Penn roster, I guess I can see my mistake. The roster features more Blair Academy than PIAA AAA wrestlers, and most of the starters are from Prep schools, including Bergen Catholic, Lake Highland Prep, Camden Catholic, as well as Blair. I guess that's not surprising, as the strong academic programs at prep schools make these wrestlers well prepared for the rigorous programs at Ivy League Schools like UPenn. I also see that they snagged both of the Urbas brothers, hammers from the State College area. 

I think penn is set up to make some big jumps in the near future , finally getting guys from the top prep and private high schools like you said, Bergan, blair Etc, and the RTC is pretty stacked with senior level talent, a lot of which from NJ which should help with recruiting and on top of that you have a 2x Ncaa champ as the athletic director so obviously you know he’s 100 percent invested 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2021 at 6:34 PM, pa in taiwan said:

Some of the names on the UPenn roster jumped out at me as hammers from PIAA AAA wrestling. Colaiocco, Zapf, and Urbas are all names that I have seen appearing in the "big dance" at Hershey, Pa. Is Penn now going to replace Penn State as the team that focuses on recruiting the local Pennsylvania talent? I can see how the school would appeal to wrestlers who are dedicated to getting a high-quality education and thinking about their future after wrestling. Looking at the PSU roster, it seems that only C Star achieved great things at the PIAA AAA tournament.  

Why so worried about PIAA AAA?  Penn State has other starters from PA, and in the past has seen great success from AA wrestlers.  3X champs Nolf and Retherford are some recent standouts from PIAA AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Penn State and Penn have more matches. Philly is a silently strong D1 base that could really serve local wrestlers that want to compete at the highest level of the sport, but are put off by the PSU dynasty. Would be really cool to see more wrestlers from the tristate going to Drexel and Penn, and maybe even nearby Lehigh and D2 East Stroudsburg.

Would also love to see the full Quaker lineup in these shirts: 

image.png.e514b5582b6cf1f553692882fb607c43.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

recruits "put off by the PSU dynasty" 

I doubt this is much of thing among recruits from the pool of PIAA butt-kickers.  Seems that PSU's NCAA success and international style success of NLWC is much more of a magnet than a put-off to top PIAA recruits.  I'd guess PSU loses PIAA recruits far more often to other reasons such as: (i) more comfort that there is room on the roster to compete early; (ii) scholarship $$ (PSU has only 9.9); and (iii) for certain recruits, they may get more in financial aid and lower net cost than even in-state tuition at PSU.  For some, they might genuinely love the overall culture and experience (academic, wrestling, career opportunities) offered by another school, without any negatives toward Penn State.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2021 at 8:36 AM, Elevator said:

recruits "put off by the PSU dynasty" 

I doubt this is much of thing among recruits from the pool of PIAA butt-kickers.  Seems that PSU's NCAA success and international style success of NLWC is much more of a magnet than a put-off to top PIAA recruits.  I'd guess PSU loses PIAA recruits far more often to other reasons such as: (i) more comfort that there is room on the roster to compete early; (ii) scholarship $$ (PSU has only 9.9); and (iii) for certain recruits, they may get more in financial aid and lower net cost than even in-state tuition at PSU.  For some, they might genuinely love the overall culture and experience (academic, wrestling, career opportunities) offered by another school, without any negatives toward Penn State.    

I guess I'm not particularly interested in the Top-25 recruits that could wrestle at ostensibly any school they want -- I'm thinking about the PIAA Regional qualifiers that move up 2 weights in the offseason and tech Maryland state champs. Drexel and Penn will likely never be fighting for NCAA trophies, but they can definitely fight for EIWA trophies and All-Americans with kids right up the street. I'm sure they could make a stacked team just recruiting at a MAWA tournament in April. It's moneyball.

Having the chance to get a bunch of free Nike gear and go to school on scholarship in a big city a couple hours from home has got to be a nice consolation to Happy Valley, which is only fun to live in for about 3 months of the year, tbf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are on the $$ as to a big part of the formula for success being pursued at Penn and Drexel (similar to all the EIWA schools chasing Cornell's recent more consistent blue chip national recruiting).  I suspect there is quite a bit of overlap in recruiting among Ivy and Patriot league schools.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How many matches do you guys have UPenn winning in this dual?  3?  4?

The only match where they have a very clear favorite is 157, but if Joe Lee is healthy and ready, or BearClaw is fully recovered from the flu, that might not matter.

 

165 looks like a pure tossup. 149 appears to be a tossup, but I’d favor BB all day. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see UPenn win 125, but that could go either way.

 

Winning all four seems unlikely; I’d guess three.

 

The back half will be…ugly.

 

But, I’m viewing this dual through navy and white tinted, standard issue Penn State homer glasses.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over/under probably 3 if Artalona wrestles.  I think the point of many of PSU's first semester matches are to get a good variety of competition and not arranged with an expectation of close team score battles.  If Penn wins 4 matches that is a very good day, but equally important is chance for individuals to measure themselves against top ranked guys.   

Of course the last time the Lions wrestled Penn in a dual @ the Palestra nobody thought Penn could win.   

Edited by Elevator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, moodybooty said:

Having the chance to get a bunch of free Nike gear and go to school on scholarship in a big city a couple hours from home has got to be a nice consolation to Happy Valley, which is only fun to live in for about 3 months of the year, tbf.

Here lies W.C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted above that "Goldin is about the same size as Kerkvliet" 

I should have posted that they are about the same weight.  I do not know their specific heights, but my impression is that Kerk is taller and has a longer reach.  Goldin is not short though and is athletic for a big man.  Kerk's wrestle-style and match tactics seem to use his length and impressive footspeed and agility to generate points in an very effective manner.  

There are signs that Goldin is having a break-out year, wrestling at a high pace and generating points.  But he has not faced an NCAA opponent of the level of Kerk yet this year.  I assume Goldin trains with Cole Urbas, who also is a tall wrestler and uses his length and reach somewhat like Kerk.  Maybe this preparation will pay dividends. 

This could be a fun match and I am looking forward to it more than the average matchup at 285.  Of course, this is also true for the Kerk v. Wood match back at PSU.   Should be some very good action in both matches. We are living in the golden era of Hwt collegiate wrestling!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Le duke said:

The only match where they have a very clear favorite is 157, but if Joe Lee is healthy and ready, or BearClaw is fully recovered from the flu, that might not matter.

 

165 looks like a pure tossup. 149 appears to be a tossup, but I’d favor BB all day. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see UPenn win 125, but that could go either way.

 

Winning all four seems unlikely; I’d guess three.

 

The back half will be…ugly.

 

But, I’m viewing this dual through navy and white tinted, standard issue Penn State homer glasses.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have UPenn winning 125, 157, and 165.  I think Artalona sits this one out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ionel said:

Its early in the season and he did just go 10 minutes, correct?

He was wrestling a smaller guy, who didn't exactly put it on him either, didn't have the confidence to attempt a ride in the 30/30 after he had riding time in the match(didn't hold it), and he couldn't hold his stance the last few minutes. Lost on shape, thats it. 

So unless you didn't mean that post as an objection I don't know what you mean. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...