nhs67

Jesse Dellevechia (sp?)

If you're talking about the NCAA finalist from Rider, I thought he was finished with college wrestling. He's listed as a coach for Army. He could just be wrestling as a graduate like others used to in the Midlands.

Edited by Jrr277

2 minutes ago, Elevator said:

I assume - perhaps in error - that when a wrestler joins a coaching staff it is a statement that their NCAA career has come to a close.  

If he is a volunteer assistant, meaning unpaid, perhaps not?

If he is a volunteer assistant, meaning unpaid, perhaps not?

Huh? Volunteer assistants are definitely paid.

They can’t participate in recruiting and a couple of other things. The name is an old holdover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Le duke said:

They can’t participate in recruiting and a couple of other things. The name is an old holdover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then in that case I think he has to be done.

25 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Not paid by the school. Hence the name.

The bigger, more highly funded programs generally have a semi-associated club from which they are paid to coach/train.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:17 AM, Elevator said:

I assume - perhaps in error - that when a wrestler joins a coaching staff it is a statement that their NCAA career has come to a close.  

I think you're right.  But JD's decision to forgo his last year of eligibility to become a volunteer coach makes little sense to me.  That Army volunteer assistant job would still be waiting for him next year.

12 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

That Army volunteer assistant job would still be waiting for him next year.

How do you know that?  Surely they would have had to hire someone else for this season.

Dellavechia is from NY.    If he wanted to stay close to home (no idea), not really many options  in the vicinity with Army being one of the better teams in the area.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

How do you know that?  Surely they would have had to hire someone else for this season.

Dellavechia is from NY.    If he wanted to stay close to home (no idea), not really many options  in the vicinity with Army being one of the better teams in the area.

You don't think it would be fairly easy for a multiple-time Div. 1 AA to get a "volunteer assistant" coaching position?

53 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

You don't think it would be fairly easy for a multiple-time Div. 1 AA to get a "volunteer assistant" coaching position?

At a good program within a 2 hour drive from Long Island that is presumably actually offering a decent salary via the RTC, probably not.

Edited by 1032004