Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Gonzo

Dake Endorsement Deal

Dake signed a very lucrative deal with CF. Look for the Dake shoes soon!! I know Scribe and I, at least, will have a pair!

P.S.-Dake will get well over six figures annually. Nice to see at least the very best get compensated in wrestling.

Dake will get well over six figures annually.

I don't know Cage Fighter's revenues, but the only way this makes sense is if CF believes having Dake as an endorser will net them several times their investment in him in sales they would not otherwise have had. In addition, who would they be bidding against that would require such a high number? While I understand the desire to sign Dake, he is currently at the height of his notoriety thanks to his unprecedented accomplishment, but he is unlikely to make a world or Olympic team until Burroughs decides to be finished. Speaking of Burroughs, why isn't he the one getting this deal?

Here is the post from Cage Fighter announcing this:

Good for Dake, but I'm not sure I see the logic in this from CF's perspective. Was there a big bidding war that required them to make an unprecedented deal that surely dwarfs every other wrestler endorsement contract? Are they at all worried that one of their other endorsers (Burroughs) is set to drive down the value of the Dake endorsement every time he makes a world team ahead of Dake for the next four years? I will be interested to see the full press release next week.

Dake signed a very lucrative deal with CF. Look for the Dake shoes soon!! I know Scribe and I, at least, will have a pair!

P.S.-Dake will get well over six figures annually. Nice to see at least the very best get compensated in wrestling.

I'm very happy for the guy. Good for him.

For all you young readers out there, be forewarned that almost anything wrestling-related -- such as freestyle or college coaching -- is a horrible career choice. If you wrestle because you love it, and do it before you begin a career in a completely field, great. But don't get into wrestling thinking it's something that you can make a living with. The only caveat is if you want to be a high school coach, and you don't care where you end up living, you can probably make that happen.

It's not even smart to think of wrestling as a career option if you're hoping for a career as a mixed martial artist. Being a great wrestler does not assure you'll make it as a fighter. Of the five current UFC champs who wrestled (including Cruz), only Velasquez competed in Division 1. And even he began as a JUCO wrestler. Two wrestled in high school only (Johnson, Cruz); one was an NAIA wrestler (Henderson); and one was a JUCO wrestler (Jones). Going on probabilities alone, it is most likely that training wrestling and MMA will not lead to anything.

Good for Dake, but I'm not sure I see the logic in this from CF's perspective.

I think it is pretty simple. They want to break in to the amateur wrestling market and Dake is their avenue to make that happen. Right now Cage Fighter isn't a brand people think of when they think of wrestling. Dake will change that. So from a business perspective it makes sense for them.

zeeb,

I understand what they are trying to do, I'm just questioning the wisdom of the investment. I also suspect that it's a bit of hyperbole on the announced amount to increase publicity. Maybe something like an NFL contract with an enormous total value but less in guaranteed money.

I think that it is great that Dake is able to monetize his accomplishment. He has been a great role model winning four titles at an Ivy League school. I am curious to see the economics of the deal. I wonder if it is heavily loaded with incentives for making world and Olympic teams, etc.

So from a business perspective it makes sense for them.

It would make more sense, from a business perspective, to make sure that a team that orders from you in early November gets their stuff before the season ends in March. It also wouldn't be a bad idea if the stuff was at least all the same color when they finally get it.

Wow 6 figures annually, thats incredible! It is well deserved for someone who has accomplished what he has. Outstanding. Does anyone know the length of the contract?

That sure takes a load off Dakes back financially so he can focus on his FS career. How it SHOULD be for our top tier guys. Too bad our top olympian hopefulls couldnt ALL get backed financially so they could just focus on training and not have to worry about supporting themselves and their families.

Wow 6 figures annually, thats incredible! It is well deserved for someone who has accomplished what he has. Outstanding. Does anyone know the length of the contract?

That sure takes a load off Dakes back financially so he can focus on his FS career. How it SHOULD be for our top tier guys. Too bad our top olympian hopefulls couldnt ALL get backed financially so they could just focus on training and not have to worry about supporting themselves and their families.

just because they say 6 figures does not necessarily mean anything.......could mean that its royalty driven which requires a certain $$ amount of sales. Anyway I hope Dake did not lock himself into any long term deals without getting paid a certain guaranteed amount.