Sign in to follow this  

Otoguro and Rashidov

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

It's not like the best guys are hidden in Siberia.  If somebody better than Rashidov comes along, that person will get the spot. 

I bet there's some guys in Novosibirsk who are just itching to get away and wrestle.  

On 11/28/2021 at 2:38 PM, 2050 said:

Medaled in TOkyo, sat in October.

Now, what's their status?

Otoguro is young. Like him wrestling into LA '28. Good legacy. He's 29 in 28, basically.

They'll both be back wrestling in 2022.  The Olympics were only a few months ago...let these guys rest up and take a break from training.

22 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

They'll both be back wrestling in 2022.  The Olympics were only a few months ago...let these guys rest up and take a break from training.

If true, I hope Otoguro can stay competing into the 2028 cycle that has already been announced for LA. He can bring quite a legacy into Los Angeles. In fact, I'll order my tickets tonight. ;)

On 11/29/2021 at 8:06 AM, TripNSweep said:

I bet there's some guys in Novosibirsk who are just itching to get away and wrestle.  

Probably, but unless they have a phenom, they usually falter to those from Dagestan and Ossetia.  They can beat Chechens and Ingush though.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:32 PM, Silhouette94 said:

Probably, but unless they have a phenom, they usually falter to those from Dagestan and Ossetia.  They can beat Chechens and Ingush though.

When does the USA win this weight?

I sat next to Otoguro on the flight leaving Kaz after the 19' World Championships. The entire ~5 hour flight he just watched his match with Rashidov and took what seemed like 50 pages of notes. He'd watch the same sequences for 30 minutes and always seemed to find something else to make note of. I was pretty excited when he was able beat him at the Olympics.

On 11/29/2021 at 2:06 AM, TripNSweep said:

Novosibirsk and the East are to Russian Freestyle what Louisiana and Arkansas  are to American Folk.  I don't know this for sure, but I think the last great Freestyler from the Siberia or the Amur developed in the 1960s? 

Wrestling is not popular in all of Russia. The typical slavic Russia youth living Russia has never wrestled in their life and knows very little about wrestling, its much more likely that a random American wrestled.  A Russian guest on a podcast  went over how even though Moscow has a Freestlye training center, almost  none of the wrestlers are from the Moscow region. 

Eastern Russia is more Greco country. And they are no Greco Dagestan by any means. Only one of main Russian GR guys is  from the east, Vlasov.

That is not a lot of wrestlers. Quite poor production from the east recently.  

3 hours ago, cowcards15 said:

I sat next to Otoguro on the flight leaving Kaz after the 19' World Championships. The entire ~5 hour flight he just watched his match with Rashidov and took what seemed like 50 pages of notes. He'd watch the same sequences for 30 minutes and always seemed to find something else to make note of. I was pretty excited when he was able beat him at the Olympics.

That is awesome.

2 hours ago, HawkY said:

Novosibirsk and the East are to Russian Freestyle what Louisiana and Arkansas  are to American Folk.  I don't know this for sure, but I think the last great Freestyler from the Siberia or the Amur developed in the 1960s? 

Wrestling is not popular in all of Russia. The typical slavic Russia youth living Russia has never wrestled in their life and knows very little about wrestling, its much more likely that a random American wrestled.  A Russian guest on a podcast  went over how even though Moscow has a Freestlye training center, almost  none of the wrestlers are from the Moscow region. 

Eastern Russia is more Greco country. And they are no Greco Dagestan by any means. Only one of main Russian GR guys is  from the east, Vlasov.

That is not a lot of wrestlers. Quite poor production from the east recently.  

I know the East isn't as populated, except for Novosibirsk, so that might be why. I don't think that there's really a major city in the East from Novosibirsk until maybe you hit Vladivostok, so that's a lot of territory with not many people. I'm pretty sure Opan Sat was from the East, but yeah it's pretty slim pickings usually. I know there was a very good coach or wrestler from Sakhalin but I can't remember who it was. 

21 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

When Kyle Dake gets younger. 

LOL.

It was 2006 at 66 kg that Zadick won. This weight went down by one kilogram in 2013. If the weights are adjusted soon, one could say the USA never won 65 kilograms. Granted, Stieber did beat Romanov.

9 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I know the East isn't as populated, except for Novosibirsk, so that might be why. I don't think that there's really a major city in the East from Novosibirsk until maybe you hit Vladivostok, so that's a lot of territory with not many people. I'm pretty sure Opan Sat was from the East, but yeah it's pretty slim pickings usually. I know there was a very good coach or wrestler from Sakhalin but I can't remember who it was. 

That would not explain why Western slavic Russia is so terrible at FS. They are densely  populated. 

So many of the Russian Soviet Greco Pantheon are from the east: Karelin, Vlasov, Igumenov, Zubkov, the great trainer Kuznetsov. 

In FS?  Yeah Opan Sat  is a good shout,  Euro medalist. But its rare. The east is not contributing to Senior FS members,  nor are they medaling. And they did not  historically either. The only significant easterner I'm aware of is Yarygin? There might be some obscure low medal count others, but not that important of a figure.  And Yarygin came from a long gone era when hopelessly woeful western slavic Russia could produce a champion or two

This is Otoguro over Stieber. Zadick is coaching it. Gable is in the background at 8:49. I don't mean to offend, however, the USA didn't wrestle this weight at the Tokyo Olympics. If you watched the 2020 Pan Ams, Retherford was pinned by Destribats. It was the same tournament that all the USA women forfeited their final. So there's a lot going on.

But what is going on with winning this weight for the USA? Otoguro, who beats Steiber here, won the 2018 title and was then tech falled in his home country. He lost in 2019 to Rashidov, whom he then defeated in Tokyo in the semifinals. He beat Alyiev in the final.

With the facts here, who can the USA develop for this gold medal?

On 12/26/2021 at 9:51 AM, 2050 said:

This is Otoguro over Stieber. Zadick is coaching it. Gable is in the background at 8:49. I don't mean to offend, however, the USA didn't wrestle this weight at the Tokyo Olympics. If you watched the 2020 Pan Ams, Retherford was pinned by Destribats. It was the same tournament that all the USA women forfeited their final. So there's a lot going on.

But what is going on with winning this weight for the USA? Otoguro, who beats Steiber here, won the 2018 title and was then tech falled in his home country. He lost in 2019 to Rashidov, whom he then defeated in Tokyo in the semifinals. He beat Alyiev in the final.

With the facts here, who can the USA develop for this gold medal?

I heard Bill Zadick is dropping a few pounds to qualify and win the spot at Trials this year. Someone has to show these young bucks at 65kg how to win World gold.

Happy 2022!