Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Strongest wrestlers

By strongest, I mean actual physical strength.

Danny Hodge without a doubt. I haven't witnessed much, as it's hard to find,but from the little I have seen it's like watching a grown man roll around with a child. He easily overpowered his opponents. I've had the privilege of meeting him a few times in my life. Every time I shake his hand, I can easily tell that if he wanted to, he'd break every bone in my hand.

Others?

From what I've seen the Banach brothers at Iowa, Ed and Lou had Hulk type strength. I've seen video clips of them on the mat, and they just seem to be able to manhandle about everyone they're up against. Granted they had trouble with some guys, but others, they just seem to have no problem overpowering.

In my recent years, I was always impressed with Troy Letter's brute strength. He seemed to get himself in bad positioning during matches sometimes, but always seemed to manage his way out of those situations with brute strength.

Jesse Jantzen is another that I've heard was stronger than a Brahma Bull.

I have seen Lesnar and Shelton Benjamin manhandle opponents. However, I recall Lesnar saying that Neal was incredibly strong.

I also saw Heskett stick Donnie P in a cradle--impressive strength there.

From my humble experience in high school, some guys that don't look strong are very strong indeed.

I believe there is a youtube vid of Frank Molinaro deadlifting like 500+ ....that along with his hulkish build and how he made lifting guys off their feet from a double seem effortless. He wasnt the most graceful or technically sound wrestler, but his brute strength and quickness carried him to ncaa champ status.

I have seen Lesnar and Shelton Benjamin manhandle opponents. However, I recall Lesnar saying that Neal was incredibly strong.

I also saw Heskett stick Donnie P in a cradle--impressive strength there.

From my humble experience in high school, some guys that don't look strong are very strong indeed.

I have to agree with you on your last statement, as well as saying that sometimes guys that are absolutely ripped aren't very strong at all. Usually it isn't that way, but sometimes it is.

Forgot all about meys. And missed that video the first time around. We've been missing out on seeing that kid wrestle in college:

So...what ever happened to Meys ? I must have missed something ? Or don't recall ?

I dont buy this bullcrap that Hodge was the strongest wrestler of all time. Its a myth that gets perpetuated, based on no evidence other than him squeezing pieces of fruit. The guy didnt even lift weights. The same people who think Hodge was the strongest wrestler also think Babe Ruth was the best home run hitter and Rocky Marciano was the hardest puncher. The fact is, Hodge would be outgunned by JC guys in todays era.

I know that there must be some photo/vid out there, somewhere, of Joe James ? The Oklahoma State Hwt, NCAA champ, from back in the day. I have seen some photo evidence that clearly sets him apart -and- demonstrates his massive upper-body physique...as well as his mind boggling strength.

The guy gave the original meaning to the term....'beast'.

Can one of our photo computer folks help us out on this one ?

Like Hershal Walker...Joe did this with the (back in the day) standard routine of:

push-ups

chin ups

sit ups

lot of cardio

genetics ?

Gotta put Karelin among the strongest; I witnessed his opponents (one a World Champ) just roll over and get pinned before allowing him to do his patented reverse body lift. Mark Schultz was the strongest American I saw compete. OD, you and I agree on most stuff, but I gotta put a plug in on Dan Hodge, who I never saw compete, my understanding is that he had double tendons in his hands which gave him his extraordinary strength in his grip. Just an interesting side note, years ago I learned that a man's grip strength peaks at age 42, so imagine how strong Hodge's grip was 30-40 years ago. Also, and JMO, I believe strength is the best 'move' in wrestling. What great wrestler can you name that didn't have a least modest strength? Before you respond with John Smith, I've heard he is deceivingly strong.

Forgot all about meys. And missed that video the first time around. We've been missing out on seeing that kid wrestle in college:

So...what ever happened to Meys ? I must have missed something ? Or don't recall ?

Out for the last two seasons battling effects of Guillain-Barré Syndrome, which was diagnosed around the time of the 2011 NCAA tourney (his RS Frosh season). It is my understanding that he was in the room this past season, with many projecting him to be the starter at 174 next year.

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/wres ... yerid=8419

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain%E ... 9_syndrome

Out for the last two seasons battling effects of Guillain-Barré Syndrome, which was diagnosed around the time of the 2011 NCAA tourney (his RS Frosh season). It is my understanding that he was in the room this past season, with many projecting him to be the starter at 174 next year.

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/wres ... yerid=8419

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain%E ... 9_syndrome

Thanks. I am glad to hear that he is on the mend.

I dont buy this bullcrap that Hodge was the strongest wrestler of all time. Its a myth that gets perpetuated, based on no evidence other than him squeezing pieces of fruit. The guy didnt even lift weights. The same people who think Hodge was the strongest wrestler also think Babe Ruth was the best home run hitter and Rocky Marciano was the hardest puncher. The fact is, Hodge would be outgunned by JC guys in todays era.

Hodge pinned 11 of 13 in winning 3 NCAA's. (and got screwed out of Olympic gold)

Hodge broke plyers and 3/4" end wrenches with his hands.

Hershel Walker didn't lift. Would he be out gunned by JC kids?

You wrote that as a joke, right?

I think a more interesting topic would be the weakest successful wrestler you know.

There many successful super-studs. It's the successful average-body kids that impress me. They do it with stealth, timing and moves.

I had a friend who never lost weight; never lifted weights; never ran laps; practiced about 45 minutes a day; was a member of a party fraternity; didn't wrestle in the off season; looked like they pulled him off of the street and pointed him toward the mat. Yet in duals he trashed everyone from 147 to 191 - wherever the coach needed him. And he was a two-time NCAA Division 1 finalist while wrestling for a Division 2 school.

He lost one NCAA final by a ref's decision in OT against a kid from Iowa State, who was exactly the kind of moose this thread is about - super strong.

So I guess I'm saying - the strong kids you expect to excel. It's the average Joe who can get by on pure talent or brains or something - that I really respect.

I the consensus on Dan Hodge has to be in regards to his grip. Most here have probably heard the stories of him snapping pairs or pliers, twisting off shower knobs, and making "instant applesauce."

Karelin certainly was one of the strongest overall. The story of him buying a refrigerator, carrying it home, and then up several flights of stairs carries some muscle!

Mark Schultz was up there in the pound-for-pound category. A former gymnast, I heard that he could do 35-40 chin-ups.

Logan Stieber....wasn't it said that he could do chin-ups using only one finger from each hand?

Wonder if that is harder to do than crushing an apple with one hand. I tried each one, and I can't tell.

Hodge pinned 11 of 13 in winning 3 NCAA's. (and got screwed out of Olympic gold)

Hodge broke plyers and 3/4" end wrenches with his hands.

Hershel Walker didn't lift. Would he be out gunned by JC kids?

You wrote that as a joke, right?

Hodge beat kids who trained 2 months a year when the most sophisticated weight lifting routine was milking cows and throwing hay.

Hodge broke plyers? Samson killed a lion with his bare hands. Show me some proof other than stories by old timers.

Yes, JC wrestlers would throw Hershel Walker around the mat without problem.