Sign in to follow this  
MPC

Who has the Oldest starting lineup?

It is amazing people's obsession with age, and what THEY think others should and shouldn't do with their life. 

How someone can possibly think it is a "bad thing" that a young adult stays in college going to class, while participating in the toughest college sport, is mind boggling.

Edited by dman115
terrible spelling

20 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

At least he didn't carry it out to 9 decimal places.  I've seen that, depending on the calculator.

Well played.  2 decimal places implies an accuracy of .005 years, a little less than 2 days.  At least where I went to school...

The actual birthdates were used so my figures reveal more information about their age than a single decimal point, all while maintaining 100% accuracy.  

I don't have their birthdays, so I can only go by what age they will turn this year:  what I see as their final lineup has Cornell at 22.4.  And that's without Old Man Max (who turns 24 this season with two years eligibility left).

Years of eligibility left (including this year):  as little as 21 and as much as 27 across the ten starters.  Only two of them absolutely are in their last year
of eligibility (unless the Ivy League starts accepting grad student eligibility).

55 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Do you take in to account the time of day they were born?  

In addition to my smart ass answer, as im sure you know, that partial days are beyond a rounding error when we are speaking in hundredths of of a year.  To repeat for emphasis as it seems like some folks needed a reminder: two decimals for age, gives you the maximum information while maintaining 100% accuracy when working off birthdates

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

The actual birthdates were used so my figures reveal more information about their age than a single decimal point, all while maintaining 100% accuracy.  

100% accuracy.  Woohoo!

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"  -Alexander Pope

In the immortal words of Steve Martin:  Well, excuuuuse me!

Just now, BerniePragle said:

100% accuracy.  Woohoo!

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"  -Alexander Pope

In the immortal words of Steve Martin:  Well, excuuuuse me!

Was it you or someone else who suggested two decimals might be two far?  Who stop there?  I think we can safely say most teams have an average age in the 20s and therefore are all the same ;)

12 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Was it you or someone else who suggested two decimals might be two far?  Who stop there?  I think we can safely say most teams have an average age in the 20s and therefore are all the same ;)

I like numbers.  Give me as many as you want and I'll do what I please with them.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

I like numbers.  Give me as many as you want and I'll do what I please with them.

I'm gonna guess you've never worked in a big company or the govt.  Otherwise you would know that you don't do what you want with the numbers, but what the person that gave them to you wants done with them.  My nephew is in IT (ultimately reporting to finance) for a large mfg company.  When someone comes to him asking how much a product costs to make, he always says "How much do you want it to cost?".

There are exceptions.  I made a career doing mathematical analysis on physical systems...jet engines, antennas, etc, etc.  The gods of Physics are not susceptible to being BS'd.

2 hours ago, flyingcement said:

In addition to my smart ass answer, as im sure you know, that partial days are beyond a rounding error when we are speaking in hundredths of of a year.  To repeat for emphasis as it seems like some folks needed a reminder: two decimals for age, gives you the maximum information while maintaining 100% accuracy when working off birthdates

Please tell me you factored in Leap Day for 1996 and 2000!

25 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

I'm gonna guess you've never worked in a big company or the govt.  Otherwise you would know that you don't do what you want with the numbers, but what the person that gave them to you wants done with them.  My nephew is in IT (ultimately reporting to finance) for a large mfg company.  When someone comes to him asking how much a product costs to make, he always says "How much do you want it to cost?".

There are exceptions.  I made a career doing mathematical analysis on physical systems...jet engines, antennas, etc, etc.  The gods of Physics are not susceptible to being BS'd.

I am an engineer.  I use numbers to evaluate countless things.  Statistics were created for personal narratives.  Statistics are like bikinis - what they show is great, but they always cover up the best parts.

This is a message board where some guy is probably plugging dates into excel and finding differences.  Excel is spitting some numbers out. They are accurate enough for our purposes.   I imagine it would take considerable effort to output a format that satisfies your needs :)

17 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I am an engineer.  I use numbers to evaluate countless things.  Statistics were created for personal narratives.  Statistics are like bikinis - what they show is great, but they always cover up the best parts.

This is a message board where some guy is probably plugging dates into excel and finding differences.  Excel is spitting some numbers out. They are accurate enough for our purposes.   I imagine it would take considerable effort to output a format that satisfies your needs :)

This is exactly what I did in this case, re: entering in excel. I think @BerniePraglewas trying to signal to another poster that he is smart in order to address some of his feelings regarding self worth and social acceptance.  

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

I like the bikini simile.  I'm gonna steal that one.  In my moments of worst incoherence, I've also referred to myself as an engineer.

An excellent book if you really want to understand the stastical BS you're getting fed from wherever...."How Not to Be Wrong, the Power of Mathematical Thinking" by Jordan Ellenberg.  I bet you'd like it.

No need for Excel.  There are $50 calculators that can make a monkee an expert in stats.

5 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

I like the bikini simile.  I'm gonna steal that one.  In my moments of worst incoherence, I've also referred to myself as an engineer.

An excellent book if you really want to understand the stastical BS you're getting fed from wherever...."How Not to Be Wrong, the Power of Mathematical Thinking" by Jordan Ellenberg.  I bet you'd like it.

No need for Excel.  There are $50 calculators that can make a monkee an expert in stats.

I have a BAII Plus among several other calculators which I have grown past.  You can do so much more in excel if you know how to use it.  

11 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I think I saw Joe Namath pitching one of those Medicare Aadvantage Plans on deep cable and he said the plan came with a 1/10th  Iowa wrestling schollie. It was him or that guy from Star Trek. 

I saw that same commercial religious missionaries are still exempt from the plan and apparently criticism. Your bleeding blue again old Tbar

11 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I think I saw Joe Namath pitching one of those Medicare Aadvantage Plans on deep cable and he said the plan came with a 1/10th  Iowa wrestling schollie. It was him or that guy from Star Trek. 

I saw that same commercial religious missionaries are still exempt from the plan and apparently criticism. Your bleeding blue again old Tbar