TFBJR

Coleman Scott - Care to explain??

Why forfeit every close match?  Is UNC and their coach that afraid?  Is it all to avoid any competition in hopes of seeding for 1 tournament?  Those 3 guys who forfeited don't stand a chance at winning.  Is it all to add possible AAs through a great seed?  What could possibly be the rationale?  Why would anyone spend the time and money to attend an event if this is accepted behavior? 

You are asking why the team who has had, BY FAR, the most difficult dual slate thus far this season decided to sit a few of their guys for one dual?  Clarke and Sherman had already been in two fist fights each already that day.

It isn't the Brands Bros coaching UNC so it isn't a duck.

Edited by nhs67

Just now, nhs67 said:

You are asking why the team who has had, BY FAR, the most difficult dual slate thus far this season decided to sit a few of their guys for one dual?  Clarke and Sherman had already been in two fist fights each already.

Harder than Army, who have faced both Penn State and Iowa?

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

You are asking why the team who has had, BY FAR, the most difficult dual slate thus far this season decided to sit a few of their guys for one dual?  Clarke and Sherman had already been in two fist fights each already that day.

The wrestled 4 duals , relax with the most difficult crap…this wasn’t just some quad at Rutgers gym, Goodale put together an event at the prudential center where the devils play…they had youth all star matches, high school and Girls all star matches and had Rutgers vs North Carolina billed as the headline event for the “garden state grapple” or whatever …so for Coleman to throw away the main event dual in a professional sports arena is a slap in the face to Rutgers and everyone who put the event together 

7 minutes ago, klehner said:

Harder than Army, who have faced both Penn State and Iowa?

Who else has had 5 top 25 teams slated so far?  Has anyone even wrestled four yet?

6 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The wrestled 4 duals , relax with the most difficult crap…this wasn’t just some quad at Rutgers gym, Goodale put together an event at the prudential center where the devils play…they had youth all star matches, high school and Girls all star matches and had Rutgers vs North Carolina billed as the headline event for the “garden state grapple” or whatever …so for Coleman to throw away the main event dual in a professional sports arena is a slap in the face to Rutgers and everyone who put the event together 

So you specifically know and would rather assume that a rising coach with a rising program is going to specifically target one dual to duck?  Assuming the worst out there, aren't we?

Having a strong schedule would be a valid excuse if Scott and their leadership team didn't have any insight or control in making up the schedule.  I seriously doubt that to be the case though, so don't like this being explained away due to a tough early season schedule.

54 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

UNC had a dual against Wisconsin earlier in the day and then this was their 2nd scheduled dual.  Clarke and Sherman only wrestled once on Saturday.

For what it’s worth, I was angry about this too. I don’t understand commuting to Rutgers to wrestle and then not wrestling your best guys. Then I found out the team has been dealing with a non-COVID related illness. Sherman and Clarke are still getting their lungs back. 

Coleman has a track record of scheduling tough duals for UNC, and never ducking. I am by far and away the biggest UNC fan on this board and have never seen Coleman duck a match for his wrestlers. If he was doing that (especially for seeding), why wrestle Sherman against Sasso and Josh Heil back to back? 

He gets the benefit of the doubt here. If it happens again I’ll be the first person on this board cursing his name (not really, but I won’t be happy). 

Edited to add: Clarke has iron lungs. His gas tank is really really solid. See his match against Chad Red for an example. After the Wisconsin match, he genuinely looked like he was going to need an oxygen machine. Sometimes illness happens and it’s not ideal. But historically and big picture, UNC and Coleman aren’t a team that ducks.

Edited by goheels1812

I'm not a big C Scott guy, think his behavior in the box does not set a good example for young men--but to invoke "ducking" on the coach that at that point (Army wrestled Iowa the next day) had written and wrestled the toughest schedule in the country, is just hilarious

UNC has wrestled seven duals, four top 20 teams. Nine of the top ten in dual rankings haven't even wrestled four duals yet.

Moore wrestled twice.

Jaime and Heilmann are splitting time so yeah if it's a double dual, one guy is going to start each.

Clarke looked good at the start and bad at the end of his first match, noticeably winded in the 3rd period against an unranked guy. Would you send him out against Rivera two hours later? Also his last match at 141 was at 2018 EIWAs so maybe chill out for a second and let him get down to his new weight.

Sherman slumping hard, lost a fourth straight match in a row and probably one he believed he would win. Who knows where his head was at afterwards. Phillips was listed along with Sherman as probable starters. Everyone who made the trip and was listed as a possible starter wrestled, except Queen at 197.

O'Connor wrestled twice.

Santiago and Mazzara are splitting time. Santiago looks rough at 165, btw. That does not seem like his weight

Lautt wrestled twice.

Kane wrestled once and this is the only one I don't get, because Chaid is getting just pantsed every time they send him out there. Not sure what that's about

Max Shaw wrestled twice against Amos and Bulsak

Whitman wrestled twice.

This is dumb

Also, tough crowd around here. Marking a thread “ACC weakness” when it’s not even December and UNC has already traveled to wrestle Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Rutgers. Rutgers is the only match where UNC didn’t field it’s best lineup (again due to Illness), unless you want to be angry that Max Shaw couldn’t wrestle against Ohio State or Nebraska due to an injury he sustained in their first match of the season.

The more I think about it, this is a goofy thread made by those who don’t watch UNC wrestle much. The ACC is doing pretty well for itself. 

17 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Also, tough crowd around here. Marking a thread “ACC weakness” when it’s not even December and UNC has already traveled to wrestle Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Rutgers. Rutgers is the only match where UNC didn’t field it’s best lineup (again due to Illness), unless you want to be angry that Max Shaw couldn’t wrestle against Ohio State or Nebraska due to an injury he sustained in their first match of the season.

The more I think about it, this is a goofy thread made by those who don’t watch UNC wrestle much. The ACC is doing pretty well for itself. 

Ran out of reacts.  Sorry.

31 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

"Traveled to wrestle" - is that a thing?   They went to Jersey but did not wrestle any of the the challenging matches. They had 3 guys sit the back end of a tri-meet, one to a forfeit. 

Illness - in between meets at a tri - really?  What he did was sit anyone within 10 ranking spots either way.  I expect that is so they can coast through the ACC and press for a seed, that is why I asked the question.  You hope that the coaches take this nonsense into account.  

To say they have had the hardest schedule is just homerism.   This wasn't some back water Chapel Hill gym with 200 spectators, it was a full day of wrestling in the biggest venue in one of the best wrestling states in the country. 

By the looks of their home attendance - no one watches UNC wrestle much. 

8 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

"Traveled to wrestle" - is that a thing?   They went to Jersey but did not wrestle any of the the challenging matches. They had 3 guys sit the back end of a tri-meet, one to a forfeit. 

Illness - in between meets at a tri - really?  What he did was sit anyone within 10 ranking spots either way.  I expect that is so they can coast through the ACC and press for a seed, that is why I asked the question.  You hope that the coaches take this nonsense into account.  

To say they have had the hardest schedule is just homerism.   This wasn't some back water Chapel Hill gym with 200 spectators, it was a full day of wrestling in the biggest venue in one of the best wrestling states in the country. 

By the looks of their home attendance - no one watches UNC wrestle much. 

I can tell reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. Probably a Jersey thing. Enjoy the rest of your Monday and remember that life does exist outside of a wrestling match :) 

6 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I can tell reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. Probably a Jersey thing. Enjoy the rest of your Monday and remember that life does exist outside of a wrestling match :) 

Repartee is clearly yours.   Just another reminder to not waste pearls

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Yeah but they have gotten their ass kicked by every team you named. Sounds kind of weak to me. 

Haven’t we learned many of the duals are being treated like another form of practice since many AD have been convened to only look at the end of season finish.  Until that changes coaches are going to use some to rest and recoup some athletes or even avoid problematic competition   

I mean, listen, we're talking about a dual. Not the Midland Title. Not the Conference Championship. Not the NCAA Championship. We're talking about a dual. Not the Championship. . Not the tournament that they go out there and die for and wrestle every  match like it's their last. Not the NCAAs. We're talking about a dual, man.

I mean how silly is that. And we're talking about a dual. I know they are supposed to be there. I know they are supposed to lead by example. I know that and they aren’t shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know duals are important. I do, I honestly do. But we're talking about a dual, man. What are we talking about? A Dual? We're talking about dual, man?

We're talking about a dual. We're talking about a dual. We ain't talking about the NCAA Tournament. We're talking about a dual man.

Edited by MadMardigain