Sign in to follow this  

Koll's Stanford, Borelli's American

Criss crossing the two coaches this year.

Borelli coached a national champion last season but this season none of his wrestlers are ranked yet.

Koll is at Stanford now. Coming from Cornell, he has two defending AA's to coach. Griffith is a defending champion and Abas wrestled above his seed last year. Stanford looks pretty good,

Mizzous also had wrestles compete and win above their seeds last season during COVID. Coming into the season with 2 Junior world titles. Will need a few wrestlers to win above their seeds to win but the rankers appeared to like that idea early.

I was following you until the Mizzou comment at the end.  Am I missing something as to how they relate to Borelli and Koll?

I watched the American vs George Mason dual meet.  Unfortunately it appeared to be completely empty in the stands, but the quality of the wrestling was decent.  The mid atlantic region around DC is not so bad.  There are a couple of solid teams in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware from which they can source local talent.  I wish Borelli all the best.  

Borelli left Stanford for one very easy to understand reason.  That being he was told - and believed - that the imbeciles in charge at Stanford were serious when they foolishly declared that they were going to eliminate 11 sports including the wrestling program.   He had to take that seriously.  Any reasonable person who was in his position would do what he did.   Can't blame him one bit for doing what he did.   Anyone who does is a nitwit.

He has been at American University (as has Alex Tirapelle - who was also at Stanford) for less than a year.    So I'd say it's extremely premature to be expecting big changes at this point in time.

Edited by Bronco

That all being said -- American University had a rough COVID season; the whole university, not just the wrestling team. I'm hoping Borelli still has the juice to coach, which I'm assuming he does if he found a new spot in the middle of the Stanford debacle. I'm very excited to see them come back into play. As cement said, that region's quietly strong and a lot of folks end up in DC for school & work anyway, so I'd love to see more mid-East Coast wrestlers staying back home.

23 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I was following you until the Mizzou comment at the end.  Am I missing something as to how they relate to Borelli and Koll?

I watched the American vs George Mason dual meet.  Unfortunately it appeared to be completely empty in the stands, but the quality of the wrestling was decent.  The mid atlantic region around DC is not so bad.  There are a couple of solid teams in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware from which they can source local talent.  I wish Borelli all the best.  

Apologies. I live in Missouri. Should be the greatest Elam fan in the world. 

I'll also get confusing over Tirapelle. Who did he beat with a locked hands call in the semifinal? Do you rememebr that happening or did I make it up? I'm talking about his freshman finals appearance for the Illini.

10 minutes ago, 2050 said:

I'll also get confusing over Tirapelle. Who did he beat with a locked hands call in the semifinal? Do you rememebr that happening or did I make it up? I'm talking about his freshman finals appearance for the Illini.

Ah I gotcha now. Thanks for the explanation.  Missouri wrestling fans have a lot to be excited about right now. 

Regarding Tirapelle, would that have been Ryan Bertin maybe?  

As an NIU grad, I remember the Tirapelle/Owen match well.  Tirapelle got a cradle when Owen chose down, that was the difference in the match - not a penalty point.  Owen beat Bertin handily the last time they wrestled, had Owen avoided that cradle I think he would have won the title. 

On 11/30/2021 at 7:41 PM, 2050 said:

Wasn't that Lockhart that got the locked hands call?