Sign in to follow this  
nom

A simple poll - tourny and dual

As best as you can, reflect on the following and provide your honest answer.

At tournaments, which do you think gets more attention:

- Individual results

- Team results

At team duals, which do you think gets more attention

- Individual results

- Team results

Do your best to simply keep this thread to answering the poll vs getting dragged down.

I'm curious. Recognizing this is unscientific to the max, still curious.

When I run a team scoring individual tourney, obviously fans at home and at the site are more in tune with the individual results but at the site I get far more questions about Team Scores from the coaches.

In the three major tournaments that had team scoring this year I would say that more attention was paid to the individual achievments, but team scores were a factor in both the media and discussions.

Duals are real similar, with the individual match ups outweighing the team results, but probably not by much in some cases.

My signature suggests Q might disagree with me though.

Generally speaking individuals. Specifically :if your team is in the running it is teams otherwise who cares about 22nd or 23rd place. Duals are one of the biggest reasons the sport is bastardized. When the groan(no sp.) ups are in charge they give clear directions. Stall . run out of bounds, gouge, bite, 5 on 1 whatever it takes to not give up bonus. Now tell me I'm lying. If the sport is contested as it was intended and the "team" aspect was eliminated, as a way of keeping score, there would be a whole lot more risk taking leading to excitement, and enjoyment. As it is now many coaches are actually teaching non aggression based on their own assessment of possible outcomes, "for the good of the team" rather than telling a kid, and they are kids, go for it you have nothing to lose. Go for the headlock it is the only chance you have.Lol

"Duals are one of the biggest reasons the sport is bastardized."

Could it be argued that duals were responsible for the growth of the sport at the high school level?

It could be argued but it would be incorrect.

For the first 6-8 years of a wrestler's (and family's) career it is tournaments only and the participation on the youth level is on a massive scale. When you go to "open" tournaments where all ages are welcome many times the kids outnumber the high school brackets significantly. There are a lot of reasons for this of course, but I believe part of it is in Jr High when the transition from tournaments to duals prevents the mid-level kids from participating in any meaningful matches. They get discouraged and quit. If we focused more on tournaments and eliminated the dual aspect entirely many more of those kids would stick around and some would get pretty good.

Interesting.

To take Ohio as an example, growth among high schools happened in the (late) 50s and 60s. I've never heard it posited that that would have been attributable to youth tournaments. Perhaps. Beyond my knowledge, except hearing that open mats were readily available in many places.

I can only speak to this from a high school coach's perpective where we have IMO the best format for wrestling, tournaments are more about the individuals. Duals are all about the teams. Yes the individual match ups are fun, but you do whatever you have to do as a team to get more points on the board.