hammerlockthree

Underrated Aspects of Prominent wrestlers

Ferrari- Gas Tank. Fast twitch guys (no pun intended) sometime seem to get tired, I don't think I've ever seen him get tired. Also, he put on some ugly rides to control people on NCAAs last year (I don't blame him he wasn't skilled enough to yet), but that type of riding takes a lot of effort.

Fix- Handfight is brutal.

Lee- Neutral. People seem to talk about nothing but top, but he gets to people legs like they are clowns and his finishes are amazing and he's great at going feet to back...

O'Conner- being physcial...a meathead.  

When I watch O’toole, I’m reminded a lot of Askren, not surprisingly. He lacks any discernible physicality, seems almost plodding, and doesn’t even look like he’s breaking much of a sweat. Yet his cradles are becoming lethal, and he just seems to gain the advantage no matter what his opponents try to do. He may very well be just as ridiculously dominant his last 3 years. 

5 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Ferrari- Gas Tank. Fast twitch guys (no pun intended) sometime seem to get tired, I don't think I've ever seen him get tired. Also, he put on some ugly rides to control people on NCAAs last year (I don't blame him he wasn't skilled enough to yet), but that type of riding takes a lot of effort.

Fix- Handfight is brutal.

Lee- Neutral. People seem to talk about nothing but top, but he gets to people legs like they are clowns and his finishes are amazing and he's great at going feet to back...

O'Conner- being physcial...a meathead.  

Also scrambling with Spencer.  Askren had him rated as the best scrambler in NCAA  in 2020, I think.

JB conditioning for a fast twitch guy

Brands brothers- technique.  This is according to Bruce Burnett.  What technique is better than being able to snap a guy down and run behind.  Dennis Hall says Terry's club made him feel like he had been electrically shocked from neck to tailbone... and it was a matter of technique and not brute force.

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

JB conditioning for a fast twitch guy

This is a good one. Burroughs isn't that physical, but keeping the physical guys off you with motion is actually more work than grinding it out in a handfight. My friend who was an 184 and got bumped to HWY said the silver lining was that he never got tired. Reacting and working for reactions constantly is whats tiring.

40 minutes ago, WresFan89 said:

Gable, conditioning, he can take fattys into deep water and drown them. 

Gable Steveson is what happened when we convinced just one good heavyweight to wrestle instead of play football. Absolute animal. America should own this weight but here we are :(

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Gable Steveson is what happened when we convinced just one good heavyweight to wrestle instead of play football. Absolute animal. America should own this weight but here we are :(

Nah, Gable had already been a wrestling phenom for years. He wasn't "just one good heavyweight" in high school. He was already a great, and I mean GREAT, wrestler by then.

I do get what you're saying, and I agree that wrestling does lose a ton of good heavyweights to football. But Gable isn't one of them, he's been something special for a long time.

13 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Nah, Gable had already been a wrestling phenom for years. He wasn't "just one good heavyweight" in high school. He was already a great, and I mean GREAT, wrestler by then.

I do get what you're saying, and I agree that wrestling does lose a ton of good heavyweights to football. But Gable isn't one of them, he's been something special for a long time.

The most impressive merit based thing Steveson has done is acquire the gas tank Wresfan mentioned. When he was a freshmen he didn't really have a third period.

34 minutes ago, LJB said:

uuummmm...

all you old guys...

it is all mental...

everything...

the reason you guys did not make it is not because of your physical genetics...

I'm pretty sure everyone here aside from me has made it, and maybe that just goes further to prove your point.  

I mean he was named after a wrestling great, wrestled since he was old enough, and won the Olympics on a last second miracle comeback.

Convincing "one good heavyweight" (I assume you mean super athletic black guys) to ditch football for wrestling, is one of those "plausible on the surface" arguments. But I'd counter with: maybe he was just groomed to be a wrestler since birth and grew into a dominant bada$$ over time. (Not convincing an athlete to focus on wrestling, letting a kid who's wrestled his whole life keep wrestling)

Any "non-major " sport would be more competitive domestically if they saw an influx of participants (I really do still believe you mean athletic giant black guys).

But it's hard to get to the top without the lifetime of experience.

Most large highschool wrestlers play football and the majority of the accomplished wrestlers go on to wrestle in college and the majority of good college wrestlers don't make worlds/Olympics or the NFL

Yes if we never had basketball or football there would be a ton more athletes (black people) to develop. However just being giant and black doesn't assure you're going to become this wrestling phenom over somebody who's don't it for 14+.years.

Feel like we'd see any other country ever... With muscle house NFL looking athletes crushing the heavy weights...

But here we are.

51 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I mean he was named after a wrestling great, wrestled since he was old enough, and won the Olympics on a last second miracle comeback.

Convincing "one good heavyweight" (I assume you mean super athletic black guys) to ditch football for wrestling, is one of those "plausible on the surface" arguments. But I'd counter with: maybe he was just groomed to be a wrestler since birth and grew into a dominant bada$$ over time. (Not convincing an athlete to focus on wrestling, letting a kid who's wrestled his whole life keep wrestling)

Any "non-major " sport would be more competitive domestically if they saw an influx of participants (I really do still believe you mean athletic giant black guys).

But it's hard to get to the top without the lifetime of experience.

Most large highschool wrestlers play football and the majority of the accomplished wrestlers go on to wrestle in college and the majority of good college wrestlers don't make worlds/Olympics or the NFL

Yes if we never had basketball or football there would be a ton more athletes (black people) to develop. However just being giant and black doesn't assure you're going to become this wrestling phenom over somebody who's don't it for 14+.years.

Feel like we'd see any other country ever... With muscle house NFL looking athletes crushing the heavy weights...

But here we are.

That's uhh, pretty far off from what I meant. Especially your second sentence. Yikes.

That's uhh, pretty far off from what I meant. Especially your second sentence. Yikes.

Just that in general athletes (especially giant black people ) lean towards the sports with the most recognition and financial gain for being talented. ?

It's ok to comment on race in a non-derogatory sense.

If youre uncomfortable with it we can just call them "athletic people" and wink at each other

@bnwtwg I'll drop it

But just so you. It wasn't attacking you, I just assumed you meant if we had more giant black people wed be better at heavyweight. When in reality. We've always been pretty solid, and using Gable as an example.of guiding an athlete away from football as some proof of concept just isn't reality.
(Note I'm a black person and honestly wasn't meant to be offensive)

But my favorite part was your reply of "no I didn't mean black people, yikes how dare you imply that " (essentially)
"I didn't mean that but I will not expound on what I actually meant, but I'm not racist " is how that read.
And nobody thinks your racist, just say black people if you mean black people, you don't have to describe their athleticism.

6 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

@bnwtwg I'll drop it

But just so you. It wasn't attacking you, I just assumed you meant if we had more giant black people wed be better at heavyweight. When in reality. We've always been pretty solid, and using Gable as an example.of guiding an athlete away from football as some proof of concept just isn't reality.
(Note I'm a black person and honestly wasn't meant to be offensive)

But my favorite part was your reply of "no I didn't mean black people, yikes how dare you imply that " (essentially)
"I didn't mean that but I will not expound on what I actually meant, but I'm not racist " is how that read.
And nobody thinks your racist, just say black people if you mean black people, you don't have to describe their athleticism.

Not many professional athletes in the US are under 200 pounds. That's what I meant, and I apologize for unintentionally opening this can of worms. Big yikes on my part too.

Not many professional athletes in the US are under 200 pounds. That's what I meant, and I apologize for unintentionally opening this can of worms. Big yikes on my part too.

No "yikes" man. Just implied meaning

Personally I don't believe you can pick up any major sport and compete at a level higher than those already doing it full time, years removed from Highschool athletics.(Nobody hit me with UFC NONSENSE all those guys were levels of athletic prior to fighting and may never reach the top.

You're correct a lot of our heavyweight athletes could've made a splash in football had they put the same time into it. And I'm sure some football players could've done well in wrestling.

Running fast, being explosive, jumping high, are all traits they work on in their development as NFL players, wrestling requires different strengths. There's only so many body types and they kind of develop to their sport.

7 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Well... not many football players.  Probably 1/3 of the NBA is under 200, 1/2 the MLB, 1/2 the NHL. 

Outside of the big 4 sports, most professional athletes are < 200.  Soccer, tennis, golf, boxing, etc.