hammerlockthree

Underrated Aspects of Prominent wrestlers

9 hours ago, jp157 said:

I always get a kick out of the guys who get mad and do the “ackchually guys, there’s different types of athleticism”

So, there aren't different types? Who is a good example? Or, are you saying that every person has equal winning potentials in all sports?

Related: I assume you think that "will" or  "grit" is not an athletic gift from god but some other quality that every person has, right?

Edited by jackwebster

Russ Weil. 2x IL state champ. Skipped wrestling, made NFL practice squads as an RB and LB. Took out Joe Sapp (4 year D1 starter) and Kyle Williams for his titles. Was blunt when he said he only wrestled to stay in shape and improve his footwork + handfighting.

Grant Miller. 2X IL state champ. Went to Ohio State for football. Fargo champ at least once and 6x+ AA.

Grant Goebel. 2 or 3x IL state champ, top 3 nationally. Skipped wrestling to play football at Ohio State, had a cup of coffee in the NFL as an interior DL. Won a bunch of tourneys considered top-tier at the time.

Tim Roth. 1x IL state champ, skipped wrestling at Iowa U, 6+ year career in the NFL.

They have two things in common and only one is their weight class since you are being obtuse. I wish they followed the wrestling route because they were all fantastic athletes standing over 6 feet and over 200 pounds. That's just one state and guys that were around my time that I recall off the top of my head with national accolades that skipped wrestling after high school. So quit trying to put words in my mouth and associating them to a different ideology than the one I have clearly presented multiple times in multiple manners.

Yeah I get it. You're saying if more guys we lost to college football wrestled they could possibly have won medals.

But instead we've been winning medals....

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah I get it. You're saying if more guys we lost to college football wrestled they could possibly have won medals.

But instead we've been winning medals....

I want gold. I want the top 5 guys on the ladder to all be mortal locks for gold if they break through the domestic ceiling. That has been my point this entire conversation. I want Parris and Kerk and Cass to win senior gold if they make the team. I want the next generation to do the same. I don't want the same old story of a single Tervel or Gwiz or Coon on top of the ladder hoping for a dream draw to luck into a bronze or only getting the medal because three others were popped for PEDs a decade later; I don't want a steep drop from #1 down to Rey and Bradley and Nelson. Quit drawing your own narrative and listen to the point I am trying to make.

I want gold. I want the top 5 guys on the ladder to all be mortal locks for gold if they break through the domestic ceiling. That has been my point this entire conversation. I want Parris and Kerk and Cass to win senior gold if they make the team. I want the next generation to do the same. I don't want the same old story of a single Tervel or Gwiz or Coon on top of the ladder hoping for a dream draw to luck into a bronze or only getting the medal because three others were popped for PEDs a decade later; I don't want a steep drop from #1 down to Rey and Bradley and Nelson. Quit drawing your own narrative and listen to the point I am trying to make.

I think that's where you're flawed.

No country has 3 or 4 guys who could win ANY weight .

Literally not one country, even if Russia re-absorded all their athletes... They wouldn't be 3-4 deep with Gold Medal Contenders at ANY weight.

At 57kg, 61kg, 65kg, 70kg where we aren't losing wrestlers to college football have you noticed we aren't even 1person deep?

Is the allure of NFL the issue ?

Or would those athletes break the mold and figure out some cool new training method equal bodied humans from around the world hadn't yet seen ...

On 12/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, jchapman said:

The proof of concept for the "getting football players to stick to wrestling and we will dominate internationally" is Stephen Neal.

Does Neal prove that the best athletes are wrestlers and if more of them quit wrestling and focused on football we would have much better NFL players?

A guy who was just a good HS football player, can't make the US national team and give the NFL a try and has a long career at the highest level.

Can you imagine an NFL washout, who wrestled some in HS, giving  Freestyle wrestling a try after and placing at senior nationals

Does Neal prove that the best athletes are wrestlers and if more of them quit wrestling and focused on football we would have much better NFL players?
A guy who was just a good HS football player, can't make the US national team and give the NFL a try and has a long career at the highest level.
Can you imagine an NFL washout, who wrestled some in HS, giving  Freestyle wrestling a try after and placing at senior nationals
Makes me happy when people get it.

You see a lot of them freak bodies give MMA a try.

You Don't see a lot of those freak NFL athletes with belts.

You develop your skills around your sport.

#Win

7 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Makes me happy when people get it.

You see a lot of them freak bodies give MMA a try.

You Don't see a lot of those freak NFL athletes with belts.

You develop your skills around your sport.

#Win

MY FREAKING POINT IS THAT I WANT THOSE ATHLETES' SPORT TO BE WRESTLING. JESUS H CHRIST THIS IS NOT A DIFFICULT CONCEPT TO GRASP.

47 minutes ago, Jim L said:

You are trying to make your point by omitting that Neal is a World Champion wrestler and FILA Wrestler of the Year. 

Edit:  If you are describing someone else in your second sentence, then ignore.

Edited by jchapman

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

You are trying to make your point by omitting that Neal is a World Champion wrestler and FILA Wrestler of the Year. 

Edit:  If you are describing someone else in your second sentence, then ignore.

That is my point and yes I mean Stephen Neal. I know he was World  Champ and on his his way to be being one of the best Heavies ever, but he could not beat McCoy.  Based on his results it is much easier to go from the top of the world in wrestling to the NFL than the reverse.  The best wrestling athletes (at least two) have shown they can make it in the NFL.  No NFLers have ever made the switch to compete for US National spots.

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

That is my point and yes I mean Stephen Neal. I know he was World  Champ and on his his way to be being one of the best Heavies ever, but he could not beat McCoy.  Based on his results it is much easier to go from the top of the world in wrestling to the NFL than the reverse.  The best wrestling athletes (at least two) have shown they can make it in the NFL.  No NFLers have ever made the switch to compete for US National spots.

He was on the national team in 2000 however, and he had beaten McCoy.

And why would an ex-NFL player try to make a world team? The money?

Edited by AHamilton