Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State barely beat Penn tonight (20-16)

15 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

Nick Lee only winning 6-3 surprised me. Also why didn't Kerk wrestle? Duck?

It seemed from how it went down that Kerk was ready and that Cael made that decision.  Penn's coach actually went to speak with Cael about it while Goldin was on the mat (presumbly to try to have the match - a large Palestra crowd wanted more wrestling).  I respect Cael's decision to do what apparently was right for Kerk.  I was hoping he could put out someone else - I think a Beard-Goldin match would have been fun.

It is possible that Nick Lee was still recovering, but he wrestled well.  Ferrante deserves credit for avoiding the major - he wrestled well with intense hand fighting and defense and a tough and pesky ride in the 3rd. 

It would have been fun to watch Bravo-Young wrestle, but the 133 match with Meredith was a good match as well with lots of good action.   

I do not know this with any inside info or certainty, but I wonder if Penn too had some flu issues.  Martinez wrestled at 184, but was not listed as a probable (Neil Antrassian and Max Hale) and from the public wrestle-offs a few weeks back I read on twitter Martinez was not in the top 3 for Penn (though there may have been wrestle-offs since).  Martinez was fun to watch and tried some big moves in the nature of an elevator.  He was close a few times and wrestled hard to the end - scoring to avoid giving up the major.  

1 hour ago, Elevator said:

It seemed from how it went down that Kerk was ready and that Cael made that decision.  Penn's coach actually went to speak with Cael about it while Goldin was on the mat (presumbly to try to have the match - a large Palestra crowd wanted more wrestling).  I respect Cael's decision to do what apparently was right for Kerk.  I was hoping he could put out someone else - I think a Beard-Goldin match would have been fun.

It is possible that Nick Lee was still recovering, but he wrestled well.  Ferrante deserves credit for avoiding the major - he wrestled well with intense hand fighting and defense and a tough and pesky ride in the 3rd. 

It would have been fun to watch Bravo-Young wrestle, but the 133 match with Meredith was a good match as well with lots of good action.   

Did they weigh in anyone else at heavyweight?

I often feel like Cael doesn't give away nonconference dual meets all their due sometimes...at home, sure, with the home crowd, he wants to put on a show, he wholeheartedly thinks duals are the best way to promote the program (those are exact words from Cody, on the record, BTW). On the road, he's not promoting those teams, which is why I sometimes feel like he holds back (forfeiting to Ty Walz at the Virginia Tech dual, forfeiting to Zahid at the Arizona State dual several years ago, forfeiting to Penn's heavyweight last night, although he isn't on the same level as the other two guys).

Not a knock on Cael, because he has a philosophy, and he very much knows what he's doing (and has the hardware to prove it), but it's not always helpful for the sport.

1 minute ago, SetonHallPirate said:

I often feel like Cael doesn't give away nonconference dual meets all their due sometimes...at home, sure, with the home crowd, he wants to put on a show, he wholeheartedly thinks duals are the best way to promote the program (those are exact words from Cody, on the record, BTW). On the road, he's not promoting those teams, which is why I sometimes feel like he holds back (forfeiting to Ty Walz at the Virginia Tech dual, forfeiting to Zahid at the Arizona State dual several years ago, forfeiting to Penn's heavyweight last night, although he isn't on the same level as the other two guys).

Not a knock on Cael, because he has a philosophy, and he very much knows what he's doing (and has the hardware to prove it), but it's not always helpful for the sport.

He forfeited to Zahid bc Shakur wasn’t cleared to wrestle and Edsel failed skin check at weigh ins and was not aloud to compete, and that was a dual penn state lost by 1 point so I would think cael would’ve preferred putting someone out there …and the penn state radio guy said Kerk has the flu like the other guys and the plan was he was only going to wrestle  if the dual was in the balance 

28 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He forfeited to Zahid bc Shakur wasn’t cleared to wrestle and Edsel failed skin check at weigh ins and was not aloud to compete, and that was a dual penn state lost by 1 point so I would think cael would’ve preferred putting someone out there …and the penn state radio guy said Kerk has the flu like the other guys and the plan was he was only going to wrestle  if the dual was in the balance 

Am fairly certain Edsell passed skin check, and was pulled from the scale by Cael.

One way to look at it is that Cael manges his lineup options in some duals to give other guys in the PSU room opportunities for good matches while also promoting the sport.  It is good for team building and mojo for more than 10 wrestlers to get chances to wear the singlet and compete for the team.   

53 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Then why not bring someone else to wrestle 285 if he wasn’t sure if he wanted Kerk to?

Then why not bring someone else to wrestle 285 if he wasn’t sure if he wanted Kerk to?

Choices are Beard or Hoopes. And there’s no guarantee that either of them are healthy, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Also known as a duck.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Forfeiting should be illegal unless you can prove you had no one who could wrestle the match. Not sure what the penalty should be. Maybe an additional 6 points or maybe a monetary fine.

Might be interesting to make it 7 team points, but 12 is too much.  

On 12/3/2021 at 7:10 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

20-16 PSU wins.  PSU had a few guys out with the flu, but this further solidifies my point that PSU is not a title threat this year. 

125 is still a hole.  157 and 165 look to be holes too.  Barraclough doesn't appear to be the answer, neither does Joe Lee.

Iowa and Michigan look to be favorites at this point.

I recollect that my first exploit in squirrel-shooting was in a grove of tall walnut-trees that shades one side of the valley. I had wandered into it at noontime, when all nature is peculiarly quiet, and was startled by the roar of my own gun, as it broke the Sabbath stillness around and was prolonged and reverberated by the angry echoes.

13 hours ago, flyingcement said:

In reality they have Hilldebrandt coming in for Shunk pretty soon I believe so 125 goes from hole to AA possibility.  Wonder if we will see any Facundo

I will not be surprised to see Facundo, but this semester is a good time to assess whether it is worthwhile to burn his redshirt.  I have heard some talk of wrestle-offs (i.e. Bearclaw over Joe Lee), but have not heard if/how Facundo fared in wrestle-offs or does in the room against his teammates.  

blah blah blah there's a whole lot of excuse making in this thread. If Cael holds out a wrestler it is because maybe that wrestler is sick, or it's good for "mojo" or promoting the sport or some other silliness. If it's Tom Brands or Tom Ryan doing the same, then it is an affront to athletics and both the coaches and athletes need to retire

6 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

blah blah blah there's a whole lot of excuse making in this thread. If Cael holds out a wrestler it is because it's funmaybe that wrestler is sick, or it's good for "mojo" or promoting the sport or some other silliness. If it's Tom Brands or Tom Ryan doing the same, then it is an affront to athletics and both the coaches and athletes need to retire

Folks love to be outraged.

blah blah blah there's a whole lot of excuse making in this thread. If Cael holds out a wrestler it is because maybe that wrestler is sick, or it's good for "mojo" or promoting the sport or some other silliness. If it's Tom Brands or Tom Ryan doing the same, then it is an affront to athletics and both the coaches and athletes need to retire

20 hours ago, NJDan said:

Forfeiting should be illegal unless you can prove you had no one who could wrestle the match. Not sure what the penalty should be. Maybe an additional 6 points or maybe a monetary fine.

Maybe prison?