Jump to content
gowrestle

Forfeits

Recommended Posts

So let’s assume first and second string quarterbacks are hurt and number 3 has the flu. Would the coach play the game without a QB or would he challenge another team member to step up?

You guys get the point. This is not a good look for wrestling. The pressure to pay players on teams that generate revenue, will cause non revenue sports to disappear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference is that wrestling is a pseudo team sport where one athlete has no ability to directly impact the performance of another athlete. Any time a "team" score is a simple sum of individual scores, you will get this dynamic. By calling it a team score we try to simulate the team dynamic, but like all simulations, it is never the same as the real thing. All that is my way of saying, meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gowrestle said:

So let’s assume first and second string quarterbacks are hurt and number 3 has the flu. Would the coach play the game without a QB or would he challenge another team member to step up?

You guys get the point. This is not a good look for wrestling. The pressure to pay players on teams that generate revenue, will cause non revenue sports to disappear. 

I agree - coaches should work hard to avoid.  But there are pandemic, flu, and of course skin check exceptions where there are no good alternatives.  For the fans, coaches shoud find another exhibition match even if it is not part of the team score.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So to the original posters point PSU had no healthy 285's that could have wrestled? Even if he is a 3rd or 4th string roster guy?

Gives a career backup a chance to wrestle, gives the fans what they want and it is not like you have to have a guy out there sucking down to be on weight, we are talking heavies here.

To me that move smells of "we would rather say we just don't care we are going to win anyway so we gave up 6 points, big deal", versus seeing one of their backup guys potentially lose and give up 3-6 points.....and I completely agree that is not good for the sport.......

Edited by Spladle88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So to the original posters point PSU had no healthy 285's that could have wrestled? Even if he is a 3rd or 4th string roster guy?
Gives a career backup a chance to wrestle, gives the fans what they want and it is not like you have to have a guy out there sucking down to be on weight, we are talking heavies here.
To me that move smells of "we would rather say we just don't care we are going to win anyway so we gave up 6 points, big deal", versus seeing one of their backup guys potentially lose and give up 3-6 points.....and I completely agree that is not good for the sport.......

Nevills is still on football duty and there’s a chance Hoopes was sick, too.

Apparently the PSU women’s soccer team had a bad stretch with the flu as well, recently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Kerk would have wrestled if the meet wasn't already in hand?  Warmed up and everything.

Massive duck!

If you are good enough to go if the team "needs" you, you're good enough to go.  If it was about his "health," they wouldn't have brought him or had him warm up. The only other answer is that PSU thought there was a realistic chance that he would lose.

Edited by AHamilton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

In the NHL,if both goalies are injured, they pay the Zamboni driver $500 and dinner to play emergency goaltender.

Actually, in the NHL they have stand-by goalies they can call up if a squad loses both its goalies.  Usually some local guy with some experience.

Yes, I know you were joking.  I gather this is what you were referring to:
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Le duke said:


Nevills is still on football duty and there’s a chance Hoopes was sick, too.

Apparently the PSU women’s soccer team had a bad stretch with the flu as well, recently.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have 2 other 285’s on the roster in addition to Kerk and Nevills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Do teams travel with forty wrestlers?

No, but I’d bet Cael knew he may not wrestle Kerk when he left.  It’s also not like they were flying across the country like the Zahid situation…it was a 3.5 hour drive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AHamilton said:

So Kerk would have wrestled if the meet wasn't already in hand?  Warmed up and everything.

Massive duck!

If you are good enough to go if the team "needs" you, you're good enough to go.  If it was about his "health," they wouldn't have brought him or had him warm up. The only other answer is that PSU thought there was a realistic chance that he would lose.

The ONLY other answer? Not even you believe that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it’s a bad look but I don’t think you can really penalize it. Problem is most of the college coaches don’t really care about duals. They just want to do what is best for that individual for the post season even if it means forfeiting. In HS, many coaches ask kids to bump up to fill holes in the lineup or to get better matches. It’s almost unheard of in college, but I’d like to see more of it.


If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask@ShakaAloha because he knows more than me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2021 at 5:10 PM, 1032004 said:

They have 2 other 285’s on the roster in addition to Kerk and Nevills

Don’t need a 285.  Can wrestle one of their 197, 184, or some guys a little heavy from 174.  
 

They simply chose to only compete in 9 weights.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...