freefolkfan

Alrosa Cup Video [Russia]

Taking this all with a grain of salt, but was just listening to today's FRL and I totally disagree with Ben and J.D. (if they were really serious) saying they would rather see Sadulaev and Snyder hate each other. Not that my opinion means anything, but I think it's awesome that Kyle and Abdulrashid are friends and show each other respect and excellent sportsmanship. Loved it even more when Kyle and Jason displayed huge respect to the Dagestani people and hosts.

Perhaps Ben and J.D. were just playing around with this because Ben was sort of laughing when he said it. Just my opinion, but I like to see athletes show respect and sportsmanship towards each other........but when the whistle blows, then turn it on and turn into the super competitive athlete that they trained so hard to be. (Taylor-Yazdani, another good example, imo)

Again, maybe Ben was just having fun with this but after watching all these videos from Russia, how can you want Sadulaev and Snyder hate each other? 

Flo (or anyone else), how about a nice interview with Kyle or Jason, or both on this trip to Russia?

Anyone notice these Americans talking simple, slow, and loud.  It doesn't help guys.  Either the Russians understand you or they don't.  Talk normal :). 

Looks like they enjoyed their trip.  The amount of Russian respect paid to Kyle is unreal.  They announced him at the tournament, clapped for him, etc. on multiple occasions.  That plus the meals and events is next level wrestling celebrity.  We need to that Russia and Iran wrestling fandom in the USA.

23 minutes ago, jross said:

Anyone notice these Americans talking simple, slow, and loud.  It doesn't help guys.  Either the Russians understand you or they don't.  Talk normal :). 

Looks like they enjoyed their trip.  The amount of Russian respect paid to Kyle is unreal.  They announced him at the tournament, clapped for him, etc. on multiple occasions.  That plus the meals and events is next level wrestling celebrity.  We need to that Russia and Iran wrestling fandom in the USA.

I subconsciously find myself speaking loud, broken English to to foreigners that have limited English.  

He will be wrestling at the Umakahnov tournament, and the 97kg class starts on Friday. He is not wrestling Gadisov, they actually asked Gadisov and he said he is not in shape and doesn't train much. Gadisov btw, is a very cool guy, very articulate and he said in 1 interview, he thinks of himself as an average wrestler.

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

I subconsciously find myself speaking loud, broken English to to foreigners that have limited English.  

1 hour ago, jross said:

This is false.  Slowing rate of speech and careful enunciation is critical for locals to overcome the accent of foreigners.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

This is false.  Slowing rate of speech and careful enunciation is critical for locals to overcome the accent of foreigners.

Yes AND... you need to be careful. Loud, slow, directed speech, especially if combined with gestures, can come off as extremely condescending and rude, and gives the impression that you think the listener is stupid.
https://www.quora.com/If-you-talk-louder-to-a-foreigner-are-they-more-likely-to-understand

25 minutes ago, jross said:

Yes AND... you need to be careful. Loud, slow, directed speech, especially if combined with gestures, can come off as extremely condescending and rude, and gives the impression that you think the listener is stupid.
https://www.quora.com/If-you-talk-louder-to-a-foreigner-are-they-more-likely-to-understand

Agreed, but don't sweat the etiquette.  The blank stare of someone who is separated from you by a common language will set those rules.  I got the impression he was only communicating directly with a couple of people and they were in a happy place.

this is so amazing for these young men, to be treated like royalty. Anyone who can beat Sadulaev (once and done more than likely) can be put on a pedestal over there. and they seem to be forming genuine life long friendships. The looks of those young men listening to Snyder are priceless as well. true ambassadors.

1 hour ago, 2td3nf said:

Here's another one. (Gosh, I love this stuff.) Kyle speaks to the Dagestanis towards the end of the video. What a class act!

Wow!  Sadulaev treated them better than royalty. Snyder and Nolf will cherish this trip for the rest of their lives. 

On 12/8/2021 at 7:41 PM, jross said:

Thanks for the link. I've wondered about this before as a (pretty typical) American, single-language speaker who travels, enjoys international visitors in the US, and has international students.

I've always trusted the non-verbals, glances, affirming nods or the opposite, leaning inward or backward, etc. Their replies in English also demonstrate plenty. 

On 12/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, 2td3nf said:

Taking this all with a grain of salt, but was just listening to today's FRL and I totally disagree with Ben and J.D. (if they were really serious) saying they would rather see Sadulaev and Snyder hate each other. Not that my opinion means anything, but I think it's awesome that Kyle and Abdulrashid are friends and show each other respect and excellent sportsmanship. Loved it even more when Kyle and Jason displayed huge respect to the Dagestani people and hosts.

Perhaps Ben and J.D. were just playing around with this because Ben was sort of laughing when he said it. Just my opinion, but I like to see athletes show respect and sportsmanship towards each other........but when the whistle blows, then turn it on and turn into the super competitive athlete that they trained so hard to be. (Taylor-Yazdani, another good example, imo)

Again, maybe Ben was just having fun with this but after watching all these videos from Russia, how can you want Sadulaev and Snyder hate each other? 

Flo (or anyone else), how about a nice interview with Kyle or Jason, or both on this trip to Russia?

I agree with you. Its great to see Snyder and Sadulaev having such a friendship. I saw lot of videos of this trip and my god, Snyder was treated royally through out the visit. At the same time, Snyder the way he involved and integrated was great, he even using some russian words here and there. This whole visit can be a good documentary film

On 12/12/2021 at 12:29 AM, freestyle_fan said:

I agree with you. Its great to see Snyder and Sadulaev having such a friendship. I saw lot of videos of this trip and my god, Snyder was treated royally through out the visit. At the same time, Snyder the way he involved and integrated was great, he even using some russian words here and there. This whole visit can be a good documentary film

Looks like you might be right as far as the documentary, or at least I hope so.   

Seeing more and more videos of Snyder and Nolf in Dagestan and some of them are just fantastic.