Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bardamu911

was Todd Beckerman good?

Recommended Posts

Just now, hammerlockthree said:

where does he go for family holidays?

Would assume Orem, where Kyle is the head coach of the UVU soccer team (hmmm…if Greg Williams ever retires there, will he take over?)…or maybe Kyle goes to Providence. Would assume something or another happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Would assume Orem, where Kyle is the head coach of the UVU soccer team (hmmm…if Greg Williams ever retires there, will he take over?)…or maybe Kyle goes to Providence. Would assume something or another happens.

or maybe home to Maryland where they grew up and, I assume, their folks still live?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Would assume Orem, where Kyle is the head coach of the UVU soccer team (hmmm…if Greg Williams ever retires there, will he take over?)…or maybe Kyle goes to Providence. Would assume something or another happens.

Greg Williams needs to be replaced at UVU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

beast in hs. tough bugger in college.

his brother was on Team USA in soccer for a while. 

 

Word. Super stud lightweight (3-19) in hs @ DeMatha (4x prep champ and a bunch of USAW AAs) w/ a crazy dad coach a la Manville. Goes to Nebraska, bulks up, and wrestles tough; but, he seemed to lack the frame to carry the weight (bulky at 33, bulkier than Fix, not enough length). His match at Gallagher vs Guerrerro (sr. year?) highlighted his limitations. Still ... a one-of-one wrestling mind/talent/will. 

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Isn't the more relevant question why his such a failure as a coach. Granted RI is not a wrestling state, but i would think that without some success the team could get eliminated.

Brown is a strange bird. Ivy but the other other Ivies look down on them. What's the Harvard chant? ("What's the color of sh*t? Brown! What's the color of sh*t? Brown!) Then there's the the Providence stuff: arty, lefty, anarchy-y, Rhode Island School of Designy. Tough to get blue- collar rough necks there. Tough to get over-achievers to choose Brown over Harvard, Penn, or Stanford.

***Edit*** or maybe he isn't as good a coach as he was a wrestler? It's a cliche, but sometimes phenoms have a hard time communicating with normal folks 

 

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Brown is a strange bird. Ivy but the other other Ivies look down on them. What's the Harvard chant? ("What's the color of sh*t? Brown! What's the color of sh*t? Brown!) Then there's the the Providence stuff: arty, lefty, anarchy-y, Rhode Island School of Designy. Tough to get blue- collar rough necks there. Tough to get over-achievers to choose Brown over Harvard, Penn, or Stanford.

***Edit*** or maybe he isn't as good a coach as he was a wrestler? It's a cliche, but sometimes phenoms have a hard time communicating with normal folks 

 

Yes, Brown has some disadvantages when it comes to wrestling. But it is a top school even if it's not Harvard. RI lacks the high school talent of NJ or NY. I don't know if it's more successful in other sports. I don't know if it cares about wrestling. But if it cares at all, it should do better at least occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Brown is a strange bird. Ivy but the other other Ivies look down on them. What's the Harvard chant? ("What's the color of sh*t? Brown! What's the color of sh*t? Brown!) Then there's the the Providence stuff: arty, lefty, anarchy-y, Rhode Island School of Designy. Tough to get blue- collar rough necks there. Tough to get over-achievers to choose Brown over Harvard, Penn, or Stanford.

***Edit*** or maybe he isn't as good a coach as he was a wrestler? It's a cliche, but sometimes phenoms have a hard time communicating with normal folks 

 

How is Harvard doing in wrestling and if talking academics why would any pick Penn over say a U of Illinois if your area of interest is a department where IL ranked top 5 or 10 and Penn is not?  Things change except yeah Brown is still brown.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ionel said:

How is Harvard doing in wrestling and if talking academics why would any pick Penn over say a U of Illinois if your area of interest is a department where IL ranked top 5 or 10 and Penn is not?  Things change except yeah Brown is still brown.  

Harvard is way better than Brown. It has had national champs and its Belarus-born heavyweight just made the Cliff Keen finals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

How is Harvard doing in wrestling and if talking academics why would any pick Penn over say a U of Illinois if your area of interest is a department where IL ranked top 5 or 10 and Penn is not?  Things change except yeah Brown is still brown.  

I hear you, e.g. why would anyone pick University of Chicago over OSU if they wanted to be an agronomist? I think the argument goes something like: "Over-achievers" in the aggregate will choose UPenn over U. Of Illinois bc UPenn is a more prestigious school in the aggregate, right?

Re Harvard wrestling: Like Brown, it is doing what it always does. I think it was Jesse Jantzen who said something like "Harvard is a place full of self-starters, in the classroom and on the mat. If you want to be an AA you have to make it happen. It's on you to train, find partners, etc." 

Edit: i over estimated Harvards AA output.

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...