Sign in to follow this  
Bardamu911

was Todd Beckerman good?

14 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

I think they’ve had 2 almost 70 years apart.  Granted I don’t believe Brown has had one, but I don’t know if I’d say “way better.”

They had one in the last decade. You can look at the EIWA standings for any year and you will see.

21 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

I hear you, e.g. why would anyone pick University of Chicago over OSU if they wanted to be an agronomist? I think the argument goes something like: "Over-achievers" in the aggregate will choose UPenn over U. Of Illinois bc UPenn is a more prestigious school in the aggregate, right?

Re Harvard wrestling: Like Brown, it is doing what it always does. I think it was Jesse Jantzen who said something like "Harvard is a place full of self-starters, in the classroom and on the mat. If you want to be an AA you have to make it happen. It's on you to train, find partners, etc." 

Edit: i over estimated Harvards AA output.

"..why would anyone pick University of Chicago over OSU if they wanted to be an agronomist?" Well, maybe they want a fantastic general education in history, political science, literature, etc. before going on to grad school at OSU to study agronomy. 

43 minutes ago, ionel said:

How is Harvard doing in wrestling and if talking academics why would any pick Penn over say a U of Illinois if your area of interest is a department where IL ranked top 5 or 10 and Penn is not?  Things change except yeah Brown is still brown.  

Agreed

Brown is an excellent school and they have had many strong Ivy teams and from time to time wrestlers competitive at NCAAs. Ivy wrestling has never been better.   If I understand the landscape, Brown may be the only Ivy without an RTC providing training and recruiting mojo.   Also a lttle tougher to convince PA, NJ, OH kids to go to Providence, RI -- but is it not a bad town and the campus is nice! 

Does anyone remember the Harvard wrestler from like 96-97 or something Daniel DeVivo? he and Beckerman were THE STUDS outta Maryland in the mid 90s. Devivo got injured freshman or sophomore yeaerI believe and left wrestling entirely to pursue arty stuff. But I remember Beckerman and DeVivo were the dudes in Maryland in the early/mid 90s

edit: also remember the sad and ulitmately tragic tale of the Kusick twins, the 2 other killers from Maryland from that time. 

Edited by Bardamu911

13 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

"..why would anyone pick University of Chicago over OSU if they wanted to be an agronomist?" Well, maybe they want a fantastic general education in history, political science, literature, etc. before going on to grad school at OSU to study agronomy. 

Bet

4 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

Does anyone remember the Harvard wrestler from like 96-97 or something Daniel DeVivo? he and Beckerman were THE STUDS outta Maryland in the mid 90s. Devivo got injured freshman or sophomore yeaerI believe and left wrestling entirely to pursue arty stuff. But I remember Beckerman and DeVivo were the dudes in Maryland in the early/mid 90s

edit: also remember the sad and ulitmately tragic tale of the Kusick twins, the 2 other killers from Maryland from that time. 

Scrapped with Mike..as he was a teammate on the LHU team for a shrt period of time..different kind of motor there..great guy to have had on your side

R.I.P.

Edited by Phantom

10 hours ago, Phantom said:

Scrapped with Mike..as he was a teammate on the LHU team for a shrt period of time..different kind of motor there..great guy to have had on your side

was he hard to get along with? like, could you chill w him or was he too intense? 

20 minutes ago, FrankPiss said:

He was my coach under Santoro back at UMD. He was pretty essential for turning some good but not blue chip guys into multiple AAs like Alex Krom and Steve Bell. Not sure what the situation is at Brown but he was a very good coach, technically and personally.

were you there when Jason Nagle was on the staff?

On 12/5/2021 at 11:01 AM, Bardamu911 said:

What is the story with the Kusick twins, if you dont mind me asking?

7 minutes ago, snapspinscore said:

What is the story with the Kusick twins, if you dont mind me asking?

Martin and Michael Kusick, absolute lightweight studs from Northeast high school in the early/mid 90s. Blue chip as you could possibly get, in fact one of them, I can never remember which, was responsible for the 1 in Todd Beckerman's 208-1 career record. They had D1 National Champ multiple time AA talent but off the mat they were just a little bit too, ehhhh, what's the word I'm looking for here??? rough around the edges? unrefined? they each ended up doing prison time and, sadly, tragically, each ended up succumbing to opiate overdose. Marty was a marginally successful fighter in the regional MMA scene before he passed. 

think Ziggy Sobotka from the Wire season 2 if Ziggy had world class athletic ability. 

Brown used to be more competitive. The had a stretch in the early 90s where the placed high in the EIWAs had AA and won the Ivy league and regularly beat Lehigh in  duals.

Fun trivial fact is that Steve Mocco's brother wrestled there

2 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

Regularly beat lehigh?

any evidence to that?

i find that very hard to believe. 

Four times in 26 tries...March 5, 1921, January 18, 1991, January 18, 1992, and January 23, 1993. I guess three straight years is worth something, even if those are the only time in the last 100 years (literally) they've beaten Lehigh.

7 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Four times in 26 tries...March 5, 1921

I was at this dual and trust me, Lehigh was robbed. One of the Brown chap's cows wandered onto the mat during the third period and pulled the wool over the Lehigh fellow's eyes resulting to a fall.  

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Four times in 26 tries...March 5, 1921, January 18, 1991, January 18, 1992, and January 23, 1993. I guess three straight years is worth something, even if those are the only time in the last 100 years (literally) they've beaten Lehigh.

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

Regularly beat lehigh?

any evidence to that?

i find that very hard to believe. 

It was just a vague memory of moving to the Lehigh Valley and actual being able to watch wrestling on TV and then seeing Lehigh lose to Brown. This was the era when Lehigh briefly decided it was possible to compete at D1 without scholarships

I glad that my memory is validated. Thanks SHP!

Sad story/outcome for the Kusick twins...one that is becoming much too common these days.  Both were very tough.  Pretty sure Mike was an EWL champ at 125 for Lock Haven and 2x NCAA qualifier in the late 90s.  Marty qualified for NCAAs (for Coppin State) in '99.

Edited by gromit

9 minutes ago, gromit said:

Sad story/outcome for the Kusick twins...one that is becoming much too common these days.  Both were very tough.  Pretty sure Mike was an EWL champ at 125 for Lock Haven and 2x NCAA qualifier in the mid/late 90s.  Marty qualified for NCAAs (for Coppin State) in '99.

oh damn, i knew they each had a cup of coffee at D1 schools but didn't realize they'd achieved even that much success. Just a sad sad story.