Bardamu911

Griffith falls again....

On 12/4/2021 at 6:25 PM, Bardamu911 said:

this time to a fellow Pac 12 guy, Even Wick from Cal Poly. 

everyone understands that Anthony Valencia is finally getting his national title this year, right? 

Is that the same Valencia that got teched by O'Toole at natty's last season?

3 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Is that the same Valencia that got teched by O'Toole at natty's last season?

well yes but he was wrestling with a literally, *literally* destroyed knee. He got injured against Ethan Smith and beat Peyton Hall injured. Not sure where this Valenica isn't tough narrative comes from 

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

This is a pretty stupid comment even for this board 

He can definitely win it again, but I don’t disagree with “he’ll have to wrestle well to AA.”   He’s now lost to 3 different guys in the bracket (Wick, Ramirez and Valencia), and then you still have Marinelli, O’Toole, Wittlake, Kharchla, Wentzel, etc so depending on seeding it’s certainly possible he doesn’t even place.

28 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He can definitely win it again, but I don’t disagree with “he’ll have to wrestle well to AA.”   He’s now lost to 3 different guys in the bracket (Wick, Ramirez and Valencia), and then you still have Marinelli, O’Toole, Wittlake, Kharchla, Wentzel, etc so depending on seeding it’s certainly possible he doesn’t even place.

I agree, but one could make the same comment about anyone at the weight, so it shouldn’t be specifically directed at Griffith. It’s the hardest weight this year. Huge difference from last year. 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I agree, but one could make the same comment about anyone at the weight, so it shouldn’t be specifically directed at Griffith. It’s the hardest weight this year. Huge difference from last year. 

True, but the title of the thread is about Griffith.    National champs always have higher expectations.    And of the guys I listed, Ramirez is the only other one with multiple losses so far.

13 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well, I'm not above stupid comments. But I was never overly awed by Griffith and it's a very tough weight - as others have pointed out he's already lost to multiple guys he has to compete with. Yeah, I think he'll have to wrestle well to AA - as do most guys save Spencer, Gable, Yianni and other clear stand-outs.

Edited by Major Kong

2 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

He has a tougher schedule than he's ever had before. The best guys he wrestled prior to NCAA's the prior two years were Valencia, Wittlake and Shields.

I don't think 9-3 Julian Ramirez should be mentioned with that group.  Has a loss to the #52 wrestler in the nation.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

He was not mentioned. No one was mentioned by name.

Really? Are you sure?  Like REALLY sure?

3 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

He has a tougher schedule than he's ever had before. The best guys he wrestled prior to NCAA's the prior two years were Valencia, Wittlake and Shields.

Looks like Valencia , Wittlake, and Shields were mentioned.  Or am I blind?

Much better than Ramirez up to this point.

Not sure why Marinelli and Wentzel not mentioned in that list, as they are guys he beat under Borelli.

5 hours ago, AHamilton said:

More losses with one month of Koll than two years of Borelli!

The original post btw

Edited by AHamilton

15 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Not sure why Marinelli and Wentzel not mentioned in that list, as they are guys he beat under Borelli.

The original post btw

I didn't mention Marinelli or Wentzel because he didn't beat them prior to NCAA's. We haven't had NCAA's this year so you can't compare that. 

What you can compare is strength of schedule and while you can't control for who each team puts out a quick look at the schedule the prior two years compared to this year it's obviously tougher.

Stanford Schedule Now

Stanford Schedule 2021

Stanford Schedule 2020

2 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

I didn't mention Marinelli or Wentzel because he didn't beat them prior to NCAA's. We haven't had NCAA's this year so you can't compare that. 

What you can compare is strength of schedule and while you can't control for who each team puts out a quick look at the schedule the prior two years compared to this year it's obviously tougher.

Stanford Schedule Now

Stanford Schedule 2021

Stanford Schedule 2020

I'm not talking about strength of schedule.  I am talking about matches wrestled.  It is irrelevant.  The NCAAs is tougher than a Cornell dual in front of 900 fans or even the CKLV.

Over two years with Borelli, Griffith lost one match.  This includes the NCAA tournament, in which Borelli coached him. In less than two weeks, he lost two with Koll.  I'm sorry, but Marinelli and Wentzel are a shade tougher than Ramirez.

Edited by AHamilton

19 hours ago, AHamilton said:

The original post btw

I am sure. You just can't read.

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

I'm not talking about strength of schedule.  I am talking about matches wrestled.  It is irrelevant.  The NCAAs is tougher than a Cornell dual in front of 900 fans or even the CKLV.

Over two years with Borelli, Griffith lost one match.  This includes the NCAA tournament, in which Borelli coached him. In less than two weeks, he lost two with Koll.  I'm sorry, but Marinelli and Wentzel are a shade tougher than Ramirez.

during his redshirt year he lost to a guy from Grand View

On 12/7/2021 at 2:06 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

"Even for this board"? This board is actually where I come for the reasonable wrestling conversation. Have you been on Twitter? In Pat Mineo's The Wrestling Room?

But you're right - the OP's statement could apply to everyone; every NCAA title run requires a series of small miracles. Many a champion has acknowledged that on any other day, the ordering of the AA finishers would be jumbled.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

during his redshirt year he lost to a guy from Grand View

Really?  Also had a close loss to Cenzo.

But I would hope he was getting better as time went on... especially with the all star coaching staff.

Edited by AHamilton

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

"Even for this board"? This board is actually where I come for the reasonable wrestling conversation. Have you been on Twitter? In Pat Mineo's The Wrestling Room?

But you're right - the OP's statement could apply to everyone; every NCAA title run requires a series of small miracles. Many a champion has acknowledged that on any other day, the ordering of the AA finishers would be jumbled.

Not sure about "every NCAA title run." When a #1 seed blitzes the field, that's not a miracle. When a #8 seed wins with some close calls, it's not a miracle either, but it's closer.

47 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Not sure about "every NCAA title run." When a #1 seed blitzes the field, that's not a miracle. When a #8 seed wins with some close calls, it's not a miracle either, but it's closer.

Over the last 30 yrs, how many tech. falls have there been in the NCAA finals?

"Blitzes the field" - give me a break.

5 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Over the last 30 yrs, how many tech. falls have there been in the NCAA finals?

"Blitzes the field" - give me a break.

No idea. There have been some pins. There have been plenty of guys who won w/o a close match.