Bardamu911

Griffith falls again....

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Actually the amount of effort, community support, luck etc that goes into something like that makes it a bit of a miracle. 

You mean it's a miracle that gets the guy to the #1 seed. OK. I still wouldn't use the word miracle. But it's certainly long odds. But from the day before the tournament to the finals, that's no miracle in any sense.

17 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Over the last 30 yrs, how many tech. falls have there been in the NCAA finals?

"Blitzes the field" - give me a break.

In the last 10 years there have been 14 bonus point wins in the finals ….9 majors ( Ringer 1, Steibler 1, Zain 1, Ed Ruth 2, Nolf 2, Imar 1, Cassar…2 techs Zain and David Taylor and 3 pins, Nickel, Gadson , Cenzo …plenty of these guys blitzed the field these years 

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

In the last 10 years there have been 14 bonus point wins in the finals ….9 majors ( Ringer 1, Steibler 1, Zain 1, Ed Ruth 2, Nolf 2, Imar 1, Cassar…2 techs Zain and David Taylor and 3 pins, Nickel, Gadson , Cenzo …plenty of these guys blitzed the field these years 

I still always laugh at this.

16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Cassar beat Steveson 4-3 in the semis. IMar won 3-2 in the semis. I don't have time to dig deeper, but you're helping me prove the point that almost nobody "blitzes the field."

9 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Cassar beat Steveson 4-3 in the semis. IMar won 3-2 in the semis. I don't have time to dig deeper, but you're helping me prove the point that almost nobody "blitzes the field."

Except for the fact that DT, Ruth 2x , Zain 2X, Nolf 2x , Nickel, Logan and Ringer did in fact blitz through the field and that’s just over the course of the last 10 years ( 9 ncaa tournaments ) 

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Except for the fact that DT, Ruth 2x , Zain 2X, Nolf 2x , Nickel, Logan and Ringer did in fact blitz through the field and that’s just over the course of the last 10 years ( 9 ncaa tournaments ) 

Even if I give you the PSU guys (Steiber and Ringer had close matches), that's 5 guys over the last 10 yrs - proves my point that "blitzing the field" is rare. The vast majority of NCAA champs have tourneys like Griffith, not DT or Ed Ruth.

1 minute ago, Fletcher said:

Do most NCAA champs win like Griffith (close matches and lots of luck) or by blitzing the field?

Not really. It's about whether most NCAA championships are miracles. I say it's only a miracle-- if ever-- when a low seed wins. When a #1 seed wins, can't call that a miracle. This is especially true when they win easily. But I'd say a top seed winning is no miracle no matter how he wins. 

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

"Even for this board"? This board is actually where I come for the reasonable wrestling conversation. Have you been on Twitter? In Pat Mineo's The Wrestling Room?

But you're right - the OP's statement could apply to everyone; every NCAA title run requires a series of small miracles. Many a champion has acknowledged that on any other day, the ordering of the AA finishers would be jumbled.

I don't think he called my comment "stupid" because he thought it was, as you imply, obvious - i.e. everyone has to wrestle well to AA. I think he thought is was dismissive of Griffith, and therefore "stupid". But Griffith will, like most, have to wrestle well for him. That was my point. Yet I don't think everyone has to wrestle well (for them) to AA. Yianni doesn't. Spencer Lee doesn't. Gable doesn't. Suriano doesn't. David Carr and Deakin don't (Deakin wrestled like crap -for him-  and was third last year). Nick lee and Daton Fix don't. Mason Parrish doesn't. So I have to defend my original comment. It's not so universal that you have to wrestle well (by your own established standard) to AA. And it's not stupid to say Griffith will have to wrestle well to AA. He likely will.

39 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

I don't think he called my comment "stupid" because he thought it was, as you imply, obvious - i.e. everyone has to wrestle well to AA. I think he thought is was dismissive of Griffith, and therefore "stupid". But Griffith will, like most, have to wrestle well for him. That was my point. Yet I don't think everyone has to wrestle well (for them) to AA. Yianni doesn't. Spencer Lee doesn't. Gable doesn't. Suriano doesn't. David Carr and Deakin don't (Deakin wrestled like crap -for him-  and was third last year). Nick lee and Daton Fix don't. Mason Parrish doesn't. So I have to defend my original comment. It's not so universal that you have to wrestle well (by your own established standard) to AA. And it's not stupid to say Griffith will have to wrestle well to AA. He likely will.

You said Griffith had a magical run at NCAAs - implication being that he had some luck. True - this is the case for many NCAA champs.

AntiTroll said this was stupid - presumably because it downplays the hard work Griffith had to put in to win his title (if I can put words in his mouth). Also true - there's not an NCAA champ out there who hasn't put in extraordinary amounts of hard work.

In conclusion, everybody's right.

5 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

You said Griffith had a magical run at NCAAs - implication being that he had some luck. True - this is the case for many NCAA champs.

AntiTroll said this was stupid - presumably because it downplays the hard work Griffith had to put in to win his title (if I can put words in his mouth). Also true - there's not an NCAA champ out there who hasn't put in extraordinary amounts of hard work.

In conclusion, everybody's right.

I thought he was responding to the "wrestle well to AA" assertion. In any case you ought to be a mediator!