Class

Terry Brands

26 minutes ago, Class said:

Can we just say it now.  The guy is a POS.  Pretty much the worst possible person to have around DeSanto guiding him, and look how that turned out.

Storms the ISU bench at last whistle and proceeds to talk S&$!@.  Mayhem ensues, what a leader.

Great guy.  Athletes love him.  Administration loves him.  How does one storm a bench?

36 minutes ago, Class said:

Can we just say it now.  The guy is a POS.  Pretty much the worst possible person to have around DeSanto guiding him, and look how that turned out.

Storms the ISU bench at last whistle and proceeds to talk S&$!@.  Mayhem ensues, what a leader.

You are a cry baby lol

1 minute ago, Class said:

At last whistle it is actually Terry with DeSanto right behind him running over to the ISU bench.

I guess I am a cry baby, but it is just humorous to me that people defend Terry. 

Idk man, looked like some of the ISU wrestlers were wrestling dirty. 

Brands and Stoops brothers crossed over at Iowa at same time.  Folks there will tell you Mark & Terry similar.  There's a reason OU moved Mark from the sidelines upstairs to the box, it was a bad look for the program and the university.  Wrestling gets away with more crap cause few are watching. 

5 hours ago, Class said:

And what dual is everyone talking about now?

Say what you want about them but they can pack the stands.

The first time I saw the Brands wrestle was at the National/Virginia duals in 89/90 (?). Tom wrestled Cross, lost, and proceeded to trash everything in his way as he ran off to cry/run sprints/curse the gods (?). He was followed by a guy in a newsboy cap who -- to my suprise -- had no interest in calming him down.

I remember that every time the Brands --usually Terry -- and their athletes freak out. I also wonder who that dude with the newsboy cap was.

Edited by jackwebster

7 hours ago, jackwebster said:

The first time I saw the Brands wrestle was at the National/Virginia duals in 89/90 (?). Tom wrestled Cross, lost, and proceeded to trash everything in his way as he ran off to cry/run sprints/curse the gods (?). He was followed by a guy in a newsboy cap who -- to my suprise -- had no interest in calming him down.

I remember that every time the Brands --usually Terry -- and their athletes freak out. I also wonder who that dude with the newsboy cap was.

I'm not so sure if your memory serves you well in this instance.  Tom Brands had one loss as a sophomore, that was the Dave Zungia of Minnesota.  He went on the win the national title at 134 lbs.  Cross, who had won nationals in 1989, finished 3rd at 126 lbs.  Terry Brands was the 126 lbs. champion that season.  Tom did lose to Cross in the semi's of the 1989 NCAA tournament, after soundly beating Cross in the dual meet earlier that year. 

Iowa and OSU did wrestle in a dual that year, abut I believe it was Terry who wrestled Cross and Terry won that match.  That being said, it's possible the two teams wrestled twice that year, and the behavior you describe is probable, so you may just be a case of having  the location and brothers confused. 

22 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

I'm not so sure if your memory serves you well in this instance.  Tom Brands had one loss as a sophomore, that was the Dave Zungia of Minnesota.  He went on the win the national title at 134 lbs.  Cross, who had won nationals in 1989, finished 3rd at 126 lbs.  Terry Brands was the 126 lbs. champion that season.  Tom did lose to Cross in the semi's of the 1989 NCAA tournament, after soundly beating Cross in the dual meet earlier that year. 

Iowa and OSU did wrestle in a dual that year, abut I believe it was Terry who wrestled Cross and Terry won that match.  That being said, it's possible the two teams wrestled twice that year, and the behavior you describe is probable, so you may just be a case of having  the location and brothers confused. 

You are probably right. Where was this?

Edit: what I am certain of is that

1. It was at the VA Duals.

2. Brands threw a tantrum and tore down these blue curtains.

3. A dude with a newsboy cap chased him.

4. Corey Baze wrestled in the previous match.

5. Pat Smith and Chris Barnes won. Chesbro ... ehhhh ... won?

Just goes to show that eye witness/memory testimony is pretty unreliable (e.g Jordan, Minnesota)

Edited by jackwebster

33 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

You are probably right. Where was this?

Edit: what I am certain of is that

1. It was at the VA Duals.

2. Brands threw a tantrum and tore down these blue curtains.

3. A dude with a newsboy cap chased him.

4. Corey Baze wrestled in the previous match.

5. Pat Smith and Chris Barnes won. Chesbro ... ehhhh ... won?

Just goes to show that eye witness/memory testimony is pretty unreliable (e.g Jordan, Minnesota)

That is at the 1989 NCAA Tournament.  Cross is wrestling Tom here.  I want to say Tom had beat Cross in the dual that year by 10. 

6 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

That is at the 1989 NCAA Tournament.  Cross is wrestling Tom here.  I want to say Tom had beat Cross in the dual that year by 10. 

Thanks. I have photos of the match I'm thinking of. If you wouldn't mind, could I send you one so that you could help me id it?

1 hour ago, smsu150 said:

Tom Brands took 4th his freshman year at 126.  He beat Cross in the dual 19-9.  Cross beat Brands 1-0 in the semis of the NCAA. Cross went on to win the title. The videos are on Youtube. 

On 12/5/2021 at 10:26 PM, AHamilton said:

Great guy.  Athletes love him.  Administration loves him.  How does one storm a bench?

the answer you seek may be found here 

Edited by gromit

5 hours ago, AHamilton said:

At no point is there any storming by Terry mentioned.  NLWC wrestler Gilman is mentioned in one, and ASU assistant Mark Perry is angry in the other.

Gilman was an Iowa Hawkeye and was being coached by the Brands Bros. at the time. Let's not let your homerism cloud the facts now. 

To the best of my knowledge he has had no such incidents in a NLWC singlet. He has won a World Title though. 

58 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Gilman was an Iowa Hawkeye and was being coached by the Brands Bros. at the time. Let's not let your homerism cloud the facts now. 

To the best of my knowledge he has had no such incidents in a NLWC singlet. He has won a World Title though. 

I'm very happy for him and the USA! It is amazing that he can run from a guy with one ACL and end up World Champ.  Pretty impressive.

I still have no idea what Gilman's behavior during a Minnesota dual has to do with the Iowa State dual.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5848636-furious-cael-sanderson-throws-cube-towel-and-chair-and-is-ejected-from-world-team-trials

https://www.tribdem.com/news/local_news/ex-psu-wrestler-pleads-in-sex-assault-case/article_762f5943-9f32-52fd-89eb-2ed7e1fff8d7.html

On 12/5/2021 at 9:59 PM, Class said:

I would think that ex-Iowa State and PSU wrestler Andrew Long would be a worse mentor than upstanding citizen Terry Brands.

But that's just me.

Edited by AHamilton

High comedy here. Is the same guy who said Desanto would be locked up within 18 months of his collegiate career ending? As of there's ever been single report of any bad behavior outside of a wrestling competition? You guys are the best.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk