Jump to content
hammerlockthree

Explain this Steveson Tweet

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, DanGerMan said:

Bout at the Ballpark. Iran vs USA.

Thanks, Flo shouldn't give him a cent if he isn't competing. Much funner to see if parrish can dump him again.

Can he take money to wrestle and still compete at NCAAs? You can sell t-shirts but no pay to play.

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon now. Flo stands to make big money in this event - should the wrestlers be expected to promote it free-of-charge?

Neither Gable, nor any other wrestler, should be giving away potential income from a group that is 100% for-profit and has a record of being far too stingy for their own good.

The use of Gables name/photos/image for promotion (which is well advised) of the event should be tied to adequate compensation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

C'mon now. Flo stands to make big money in this event - should the wrestlers be expected to promote it free-of-charge?

Neither Gable, nor any other wrestler, should be giving away potential income from a group that is 100% for-profit and has a record of being far too stingy for their own good.

The use of Gables name/photos/image for promotion (which is well advised) of the event should be tied to adequate compensation.

 

I'm not saying he shouldn't ask for money, I'm saying they shouldn't pay him. I don't care if he can beat Zare if he isn't gonna wrestle him at worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Thanks, Flo shouldn't give him a cent if he isn't competing. Much funner to see if parrish can dump him again.

Can he take money to wrestle and still compete at NCAAs? You can sell t-shirts but no pay to play.

This wouldn't be pay to play. Pay to play is an NCAA concept where the school cannot "pay him to play" outside of well understood boundries. This would be professionalism, and I have no idea what, if any, restrictions the NCAA would currently place on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This wouldn't be pay to play. Pay to play is an NCAA concept where the school cannot "pay him to play" outside of well understood boundries. This would be professionalism, and I have no idea what, if any, restrictions the NCAA would currently place on that.

didn't quite clear it up but thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think it’s because it’s not an NCAA match he can be paid for it?

Depends what being paid means. Can't be paid to wrestle beyond reasonable expenses. Doesn't matter NCAA or not. I'm not sure here- but money can be placed in escrow sometimes. I think only from NGB. Plus getting paid could be NIL rather than work performed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Do NCAA rules allow for him to compete in this during the college season, regardless of whether or not he gets paid?

Outside of the payment aspect, wouldn’t it be similar to the guys that competed in Sr Nationals during the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't ask for money, I'm saying they shouldn't pay him. I don't care if he can beat Zare if he isn't gonna wrestle him at worlds.

Then Flo shouldn’t use his image to promote this event either. That’s how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Did I miss something?

I believe he’s saying he needs $50k from Flo if Flo wants him to wrestle on 2/12.

Now, there could be a lot of back story involved that we’re not getting.

Such as, has Flo made an offer already? If so; what are the terms of the offer? Is Gable’s agent involved? What are the relevant NCAA rules?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Proposal: Flo should pay Gable to show up on 2/12 and trash talk in order to promote a King of the World event involving Sadulaev, Petriashvili, Gable, and Zare, to be contested in May or something.  

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like he can participate. Unclear if he can get paid, as NIL rules still prohibit pay for play

17.33.1.8 Competition as Individual/Not Representing Institution. It is permissible for a student-athlete to participate in outside competition as an individual during the academic year in the student-athlete's sport, as long as the student-athlete represents only the student-athlete in the competition and does not engage in such competition as a member of or receive expenses from an outside team.

17.33.1.8.1 Exception -- No Competition Before November 1 -- Wrestling. In wrestling, a student-athlete shall not participate in outside competition as an individual between the beginning of the institution's academic year and November 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Looks like he can participate. Unclear if he can get paid, as NIL rules still prohibit pay for play

17.33.1.8 Competition as Individual/Not Representing Institution. It is permissible for a student-athlete to participate in outside competition as an individual during the academic year in the student-athlete's sport, as long as the student-athlete represents only the student-athlete in the competition and does not engage in such competition as a member of or receive expenses from an outside team.

17.33.1.8.1 Exception -- No Competition Before November 1 -- Wrestling. In wrestling, a student-athlete shall not participate in outside competition as an individual between the beginning of the institution's academic year and November 1.

Are folkstyle and freestyle the same sport?

Also, the rule also says the student-athlete shall not receive expenses from an outside team. Does that mean he cannot receive payment from Flo? (That is, assuming folkstyle and freestyle are the same sport.)

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Katie said:

I believe he’s saying he needs $50k from Flo if Flo wants him to wrestle on 2/12.

Now, there could be a lot of back story involved that we’re not getting.

Such as, has Flo made an offer already? If so; what are the terms of the offer? Is Gable’s agent involved? What are the relevant NCAA rules?

Thought The Gable was done with freestyle? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...