CoachWrestling

Jordan Burroughs: Participation trophies are a good thing

This kind of attitude is eggsactly why he will never win another medal. Complacency is the killer of ambition. 

Back in my day, if you weren't first, you were last and 2nd place was called "first loser". Brings rage to my heart to see how far we've fallen.

But actually, I like what he says and wholeheartedly agree

I don't feel strongly about it either way.  Any medals from winning tournaments meant a lot than the ones I received for just participating in an event.  I think its less about the trophy and more about what it represents for you.  I'm sure everyone here has a medal that makes you cringe with regret about losing a match you shouldn't have.  A silver medal can be good or bad depending on your expectations for yourself. 

Participation in any sporting event takes bravery, courage, and most importantly effort.

It takes bravery, courage and effort to be a poster on these here boards and if any posters are saying they don't appreciate the participation awards I'm gonna call you a liar.  :)

52 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

image.png.16b6aa521132d4dfbbef2237d17194d8.png

OK, that's a different tweet than the OP. 

Anyway, participation is good and can be done with or without trophies. When I coached kids' soccer I didn't get the feeling that the trophies were critical. I don't think they are bad, but you don't need them to get the kids to play.

There’s nothing wrong with giving a 5 year old a participation trophy. In fact, high stakes competition at that age is pointless, so participation in athletics is the main important thing.

There is something wrong with giving a 14 year old a participation trophy. 

At what age participation trophies should stop, I don’t know. Maybe 10. 

13 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

There’s nothing wrong with giving a 5 year old a participation trophy. In fact, high stakes competition at that age is pointless, so participation in athletics is the main important thing.

Probably once kids hit middle school age like 11/12 , the whole participation thing should go out the window 

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Probably once kids hit middle school age like 11/12 , the whole participation thing should go out the window 

I agree. I would also say a parent/coach being intense about competition between elementary school kids (making sports about winning rather than fun) is just as pathetic as participation trophies for high school athletes. 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

The 14 year old doesn't want the participation trophy any more than you want to give it. The problem with the discourse is that the debate doesn't take on what is really happening. In my kid's little league they phase them out at around 10 or 11. That said, as a coach, at the end of the season I've always given out "superlatives" over postgame pizza because EVERYONE has accomplished something over the course of the year. You don't congratulate for the act of participation but you encourage by showing that you noticed effort and improvement from everyone on the team.

Edited by ugarte