TripNSweep

Anthony Valencia to rep new country

If neither of us have lost a sig bet by the time they are scheduled to meet in a best of three, I will sig bet.

I don't think they ever meet in a best of three.

You don't think it's for the world's spot next year?

Admittedly, neither do I.

I am 100% more confident in Zahid being more prepared than anyone for that match.... However ...

I'm 25% confident he navigates the challenge tournament.

If it's Ringer or any other top 6 guy.... I'll just have to sigh and say damnit...

7 hours ago, spladle08 said:

You don't think it's for the world's spot next year?

Admittedly, neither do I.

I am 100% more confident in Zahid being more prepared than anyone for that match.... However ...

I'm 25% confident he navigates the challenge tournament.

If it's Ringer or any other top 6 guy.... I'll just have to sigh and say damnit...

Ringer is back down at 79.

Zahid, I think, has a better shot at making the Mexican Team than the US.  With or without Magic Man.

Ringer is back down at 79.
Zahid, I think, has a better shot at making the Mexican Team than the US.  With or without Magic Man.
Ohhhh wow, I'd tied a few on last night but re-reading this I still feel solid about it.

To your point though
Clearly he'd be 100% on the Mexican team which at least let's him start earning medals, and endorsements and everything else .... There really is no benefit in trying to navigate the USA Nationals. Well maybe support right ? I wonder what kind of support these "defectors" get from the nation they are repping. Travel, stipends, etc etc etc . Hmmmmm

11 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Ohhhh wow, I'd tied a few on last night but re-reading this I still feel solid about it.

To your point though
Clearly he'd be 100% on the Mexican team which at least let's him start earning medals, and endorsements and everything else .... There really is no benefit in trying to navigate the USA Nationals. Well maybe support right ? I wonder what kind of support these "defectors" get from the nation they are repping. Travel, stipends, etc etc etc . Hmmmmm

I believe in one of their blogs or podcasts(maybe Malik's) he goes over it.  I don't remember the details on it specifically, but I am sure it varies country to country.  I do recall him saying that travel was entirely on them, including hotels.  San Marino helped out in other ways, though.

I am not sure what Mexico would pay for much.  Mexico puts a focus on many other things, I believe.  Especially before wrestling.

Did you not watch the match with G. Dean?

Taylor didn’t give up a single point in the only domestic matches that actually mattered.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/opentournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&TIM=1639337223797&pageName=BracketViewer.jsp%3FTIM%3D1639337225886%26twSessionId%3Ddatoqllzsd&twSessionId=datoqllzsd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/10/2021 at 12:08 PM, nhs67 said:

Not a fart's chance in a turd storm I am putting Sam Brooks ahead of anyone in that group. 

Also Aaron Brooks has a PPO out on Downey still after Downey made him his son.

My order:

Tier 1: D.Taylor

Tier 2: EMPTY

Tier 3: G.Dean, B.Nickal, A.Dieringer, Z.Valencia

Tier 4: M. Amine, A. Brooks, P.Downey III, D.Foster, M.Hall, N.Jackson, T.Hidlay, M.Martin

Tier 5: S.Brooks, B.Pfarr

I think the only one Amine loses to 50/50 in that group is Hidlay.  Amine is just flat out better than everyone else in that group.

Zahid and Bo should be in tier 2.

Hall is 5-0 against Amine in folkstyle, so he has at least a 50/50 shot of beating him in freestyle.  I think Aaron Brooks will beat Amine at NCAA's this year, and will beat him in freestyle at some point this quad.  Agree with you on the rest--Amine is better than PD3, Foster, Jackson, and MyMar.

36 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Zahid and Bo should be in tier 2.

Hall is 5-0 against Amine in folkstyle, so he has at least a 50/50 shot of beating him in freestyle.  I think Aaron Brooks will beat Amine at NCAA's this year, and will beat him in freestyle at some point this quad.  Agree with you on the rest--Amine is better than PD3, Foster, Jackson, and MyMar.

I disagree, however I understand and respect your opinion for that.  There is nothing that Zahid nor Bo have done that has indicated that they would beat DT.

I think Hall would beat him as well more times than not, so I mis-spoke there.  I think Amine beats Hidlay more times than not, just happened to catch a haymaker last time.  That won't happen again so... ignorantly.

Foster and Jackson both hold wins over Hall within the last calendar year, yeah?

It's all a styles make matches sort of thing.  I do believe PD3 is better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.  He absolutely THRASHED Aaron Brooks, it wasn't even close.  He rather dwarfed Brooks as far as size goes, as well.

With Amine it's a styles thing.  He is going to beat anyone who isn't truly elite in one or more areas.  Hall is truly elite in his counter abilities.  Just a bad matchup for him.  If you remember Rich Franklin, the former UFC Middleweight Champion?  He wasn't truly great at anything.  He was nearly elite at everything, though.  That is Amine.  You get folks who are just truly elite in one or more aspects and Amine is going to have a little bit of trouble there.  Also, if you hit him with a club that would KO a Clydesdale... that will throw him off too.

25 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I disagree, however I understand and respect your opinion for that.  There is nothing that Zahid nor Bo have done that has indicated that they would beat DT.

I think Hall would beat him as well more times than not, so I mis-spoke there.  I think Amine beats Hidlay more times than not, just happened to catch a haymaker last time.  That won't happen again so... ignorantly.

Foster and Jackson both hold wins over Hall within the last calendar year, yeah?

It's all a styles make matches sort of thing.  I do believe PD3 is better than a lot of people are giving him credit for.  He absolutely THRASHED Aaron Brooks, it wasn't even close.  He rather dwarfed Brooks as far as size goes, as well.

With Amine it's a styles thing.  He is going to beat anyone who isn't truly elite in one or more areas.  Hall is truly elite in his counter abilities.  Just a bad matchup for him.  If you remember Rich Franklin, the former UFC Middleweight Champion?  He wasn't truly great at anything.  He was nearly elite at everything, though.  That is Amine.  You get folks who are just truly elite in one or more aspects and Amine is going to have a little bit of trouble there.  Also, if you hit him with a club that would KO a Clydesdale... that will throw him off too.

I agree that David Taylor is in tier 1 by himself domestically.  I don't think Bo or Zahid can beat Taylor, but you had them in tier 3 (with no one in tier 2). Bo and Zahid belong in tier 2 as both would lose to Hassan Yazdani, be competitive with Naifonov and Kurugliev, and beat Myles Amine.

I also agree with you about it being a "styles thing" when wrestling against Amine.  I'm curious to see how he does against Aaron Brooks in folk/free...right now I have Brooks winning.

1 hour ago, ShakaAloha said:

I agree that David Taylor is in tier 1 by himself domestically.  I don't think Bo or Zahid can beat Taylor, but you had them in tier 3 (with no one in tier 2). Bo and Zahid belong in tier 2 as both would lose to Hassan Yazdani, be competitive with Naifonov and Kurugliev, and beat Myles Amine.

I also agree with you about it being a "styles thing" when wrestling against Amine.  I'm curious to see how he does against Aaron Brooks in folk/free...right now I have Brooks winning.

Actually Tier 2 is only empty domestically.  It is Naifonov and Kurugliev that would be there.  Nickal and Valencia aren't on their level.

How can you have Nickal and Zahid in the same tier? He spanked Zahid in front of the entire nation. As good as Zahid is, Nickal is on a different level.

Lol I don't think you believe this.

One exchange has you suprisingly overconfident.

Anyways Zahid takes one off Taylor in their best of three. Ridicule me to no end of I'm wrong but ..... Even @frank rizzo can't talk me out of this

54 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Actually Tier 2 is only empty domestically.  It is Naifonov and Kurugliev that would be there.  Nickal and Valencia aren't on their level.

I understood your position.  We just disagree.  I think Bo/Zahid are competitive with the top 2 Russians.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Yes.  Did you?

Educate us, please.

Yes I did watch it, and I was on the edge of my seat when Gabe nearly took him down at the end for the win.  Here is the write up from intermat.  It was a very competitive match. I think Taylor is better than all of them, but Gabe, Bo, Zahid and Alex should be in Tier 2.

Nickal would handle Naifonov with relative ease.

David Taylor dec. Gabe Dean, 6-2

Taylor earned a hard-fought victory against a tough wrestler in a two-time NCAA champion in Dean. The Magic Man is bigger and more physical now, and it showed in this bout. Taylor scored an early pushout and followed with a relentless attack for a takedown off a single-leg shot. He added another pushout to lead 4-0 at the break. Dean kept battling, firing in on a leg attack for a takedown to draw within 4-2 with under a minute left. Dean shot in and nearly scored the winning takedown in the final 10 seconds, but Taylor scrambled superbly to score a takedown and win 6-2. That was an excellent match between two powerful and high-level athletes. Taylor said in a post-match interview he is interested in facing off against Olympic and world champion Jordan Burroughs.

The Taylor-Dean match was a great way to end a fun night of wrestling. Kudos to the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club for setting up another top-shelf event. It would be awesome to see Gilman-Lee and Taylor-Burroughs square off at the next NLWC event.

13 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Yes I did watch it, and I was on the edge of my seat when Gabe nearly took him down at the end for the win.  Here is the write up from intermat.  It was a very competitive match. I think Taylor is better than all of them, but Gabe, Bo, Zahid and Alex should be in Tier 2.

Nickal would handle Naifonov with relative ease.

David Taylor dec. Gabe Dean, 6-2

Taylor earned a hard-fought victory against a tough wrestler in a two-time NCAA champion in Dean. The Magic Man is bigger and more physical now, and it showed in this bout. Taylor scored an early pushout and followed with a relentless attack for a takedown off a single-leg shot. He added another pushout to lead 4-0 at the break. Dean kept battling, firing in on a leg attack for a takedown to draw within 4-2 with under a minute left. Dean shot in and nearly scored the winning takedown in the final 10 seconds, but Taylor scrambled superbly to score a takedown and win 6-2. That was an excellent match between two powerful and high-level athletes. Taylor said in a post-match interview he is interested in facing off against Olympic and world champion Jordan Burroughs.

The Taylor-Dean match was a great way to end a fun night of wrestling. Kudos to the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club for setting up another top-shelf event. It would be awesome to see Gilman-Lee and Taylor-Burroughs square off at the next NLWC event.

So you thought Dean almost had that TD in a scramble with one of the greatest modern US scramblers?  Cute.

Amine has an Olympic bronze medal and is getting zero respect here.

Bo Nickal got spanked by Taylor just like Amine did. Amine cannot beat DT or Yazdani, but he has an OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDAL.

Every American that everyone is trying to compare to Amine - Bo, Zahid, Ringer - I would say have an equal likelihood of medalling as Amine. Dean, Jackson, Hall, and Brooks would likely not compete as well as Amine at worlds.

Amine has an Olympic bronze medal and is getting zero respect here.
Bo Nickal got spanked by Taylor just like Amine did. Amine cannot beat DT or Yazdani, but he has an OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDAL.
Every American that everyone is trying to compare to Amine - Bo, Zahid, Ringer - I would say have an equal likelihood of medalling as Amine. Dean, Jackson, Hall, and Brooks would likely not compete as well as Amine at worlds.

No, Bo lost 4-0, 6-0.

He didn’t get teched. Unlike Amine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk