Mike Parrish

USOPC COVID Vaccine Requirement

Effective Nov. 1, 2021, the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee will require all employees, athletes, contractors and others to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or obtain a medical or religious exemption prior to accessing USOPC facilities – including the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Training Centers – and all events or activities hosted by the USOPC’s internally managed sports. As of Dec. 1, 2021, this mandate will also extend to all Team USA delegation members or hopefuls for future Games.  

https://www.teamusa.org/Coronavirus/Vaccine-Requirement

6 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

So I would guess this means no more Gilman, Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Snyder, Nickal, Tomasello, Nolf and obviously Dean. Anyone from Penn St and Ohio St, probably missing others

I would guess this means those people will get vaccinated.

10 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

So I would guess this means no more Gilman, Dake, Burroughs, Taylor, Snyder, Nickal, Tomasello, Nolf and obviously Dean. Anyone from Penn St and Ohio St, probably missing others

Is there any link with evidence that Burroughs in particular is not vaccinated?  (I bet a couple others of those probably are too)

Edited by 1032004

5 hours ago, Pinnum said:

So does this extend to the Regional Olympic Training Centers?  Or do those continue to really just be college practices to get around NCAA rules and not required to adhere to Olympic Center mandates?

It looks like you can train all you want at an RTC, but if you want to compete then you'll need to be vaccinated.
Not sure how many RTCs want non-competitive athletes on their roster/budget.

And this is based on what science that says they are at risk of some major hospitalization or death?  Even those vaccinated get Covid.  Their symptoms are less than if unvaccinated true.   I don't understand what in science is saying this should really be done.   I'm not on board as you can tell. 

mspart

And this is based on what science that says they are at risk of some major hospitalization or death?  Even those vaccinated get Covid.  Their symptoms are less than if unvaccinated true.   I don't understand what in science is saying this should really be done.   I'm not on board as you can tell. 
mspart

Serious question: are you drunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, mspart said:

mspart

Vaccines aren't meant to be Star Trek shields. And you answered your own question before you asked it. Plus the vaccinated get covid at a lower level. I'm sure you know all this and just refuse to acknowledge for some reason. And as far as young athletes getting it, yes they are less likely to get hospitalized but anecdotally what I've noticed is that they show low levels of symptoms a little more often but those symptoms result in an inability to train at a high level for some period of time. I believe they show the symptoms a little more than non-athletes simply because they are training. What might be asymptomatic to a non-athlete is because they aren't stressing their cardio-vascular systems.

4 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Were any Olympic freestyle members confirmed to have been vaccinated? Oliver or Steveson?

Were any confirmed to not have been?  

If I had to guess, I’d guess that Dake and Gilman aren’t, but Taylor, Snyder and Steveson are.

3 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Based on social media posts alone, I would be blown away if Taylor was

Ha...never really followed him but I see what you mean, although "blown away" may be a bit of a stretch IMO.   Didn't realize he talked that much about fantasy football...

8 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Why do you think you have the ability to understand science?  Do you have medical or scientific training?  Shouldn't the advice of your physician be sufficient?

8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Why do you think you have the ability to understand science?  Do you have medical or scientific training?  Shouldn't the advice of your physician be sufficient?

Do you??  Show any DATA that indicates "world class athletes aren't getting vaccinated and thus are dying and causing other people to die".  And if someone has a PhD and/or MD after their name you should listen to them, and their opinion becomes "science" and/or "data"???  Are they all saying the same thing?  So ridiculous when people say these things.

17 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Do you??  Show any DATA that indicates "world class athletes aren't getting vaccinated and thus are dying and causing other people to die".  And if someone has a PhD and/or MD after their name you should listen to them, and their opinion becomes "science" and/or "data"???  Are they all saying the same thing?  So ridiculous when people say these things.

You're never going to have experts agree 100% across the board, there's always going to be differences in perspective. As a general rule, when you have a vast majority of 'experts' on one side, probably best to go with what the vast majority is trying to tell us.  (As I said, as a general rule, not just covid related)

8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Why do you think you have the ability to understand science?  Do you have medical or scientific training? 

Shouldn't the advice of your physician be sufficient?

adorable...

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

You're never going to have experts agree 100% across the board, there's always going to be differences in perspective. As a general rule, when you have a vast majority of 'experts' on one side, probably best to go with what the vast majority is trying to tell us.  (As I said, as a general rule, not just covid related)

Don't disagree at all...my point is that people choose to believe things that aren't based on data or science but rather opinion...and unfortunately, when politics and grandstanding come into play around a topic such as Covid, all logic and common sense goes out the window.  Also, what is the end goal of all this vaccination stuff (again I am vaccinated), mandates, masks, shutting things down, etc?  To eliminate Covid?  NEVER going to happen...as you couldn't find me a scientist that says it will.   

These are the two biggest questions I have that never can be answered by even the "experts"/PhD's/MD's/etc.   When is it going to be "okay" to go back to normal?  We essentially have had states and counties handle the Covid response completely different, yet essentially have the same results?   And often those states/counties that didn't shut down and implement strict mask policies have done even better then those areas that shut everything down and have the strictest mask policies.  One of my best friends is a teacher for a school in Utah that never had a mask policy and has never had an outbreak.  Let me say that again, they NEVER had a mask program or shut any sports or activities down.  Always had in person classes.  It is a very large private school.  The most they did is shut down for 2 weeks at the very beginning of the big scare.  

Back to the athletes...what is the end goal??  I see that NHL, NFL, and NBA are postponing games because of positive test...I sit and think...why??  Who cares if they are positive?  They aren't dropping dead.  They aren't around the fans who may contain people that are vulnerable (if their are vulnerable people there why are they there in the first place).   Again where is the data and science everyone touts about that says this NEEDS to happen.

7 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Don't disagree at all...my point is that people choose to believe things that aren't based on data or science but rather opinion...and unfortunately, when politics and grandstanding come into play around a topic such as Covid, all logic and common sense goes out the window.  Also, what is the end goal of all this vaccination stuff (again I am vaccinated), mandates, masks, shutting things down, etc?  To eliminate Covid?  NEVER going to happen...as you couldn't find me a scientist that says it will.   

These are the two biggest questions I have that never can be answered by even the "experts"/PhD's/MD's/etc.   When is it going to be "okay" to go back to normal?  We essentially have had states and counties handle the Covid response completely different, yet essentially have the same results?   And often those states/counties that didn't shut down and implement strict mask policies have done even better then those areas that shut everything down and have the strictest mask policies.  One of my best friends is a teacher for a school in Utah that never had a mask policy and has never had an outbreak.  Let me say that again, they NEVER had a mask program or shut any sports or activities down.  Always had in person classes.  It is a very large private school.  The most they did is shut down for 2 weeks at the very beginning of the big scare.  

Back to the athletes...what is the end goal??  I see that NHL, NFL, and NBA are postponing games because of positive test...I sit and think...why??  Who cares if they are positive?  They aren't dropping dead.  They aren't around the fans who may contain people that are vulnerable (if their are vulnerable people there why are they there in the first place).   Again where is the data and science everyone touts about that says this NEEDS to happen.

Don't have those answers for you. Like I said I wasn't talking specifically to covid, just in general life.

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Ha...never really followed him but I see what you mean, although "blown away" may be a bit of a stretch IMO.   Didn't realize he talked that much about fantasy football...

Keep in mind Taylor is married to Jimmy Kennedy's sister and Jimmy lost his job at Northwestern for refusal to take the vaccine. If you look at the father of the Kennedys Twitter it’s pretty clear where their family stands on this.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Don't have those answers for you. Like I said I wasn't talking specifically to covid, just in general life.

Yeah...sorry.  Agree about the just general life.  I am part of the problem with Covid threads on here as I get to passionate about my responses.  My bad.

1 minute ago, dman115 said:

Yeah...sorry.  Agree about the just general life.  I am part of the problem with Covid threads on here as I get to passionate about my responses.  My bad.

All good.  Used to myself.  Just tired of it all now.  If we haven't figured out now that people are going to believe what they believe and do what they want to do, whichever side, I don't know what to say.  Just worrying about those around me, the rest of the nation can 'do you'.