TripNSweep

Boxing out of Olympics

Any word on basket weaving? Croquet? 

Nothing against those other competitions because being the best at anything is amazing, but no need to get rid of long standing competitions. We can honor all of them, no? 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, Mike Parrish said:

They need to remove all of the equestrian sports and at least half of the swimming events.

People watch those sports. 

FWIW, people also watch weightlifting. Weightlifting has a PED problem that they've tried to bury, or at least failed to solve - they've been in poor standing for a while. 

Wrestling comes in around 10th to the middle of the pack on viewership. UWW made good changes since 2012. Hopefully that keeps us in. 

14 minutes ago, denger said:

FWIW, people also watch weightlifting. Weightlifting has a PED problem that they've tried to bury, or at least failed to solve - they've been in poor standing for a while. 

Wrestling comes in around 10th to the middle of the pack on viewership. UWW made good changes since 2012. Hopefully that keeps us in. 

Do they hang a medal around the horses neck?

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Do they hang a medal around the horses neck?

I am not the people who watch it, so I don't know.

I know that some of the same people who love watching equestrian think that horse racing is barbaric. It's only related tangentially, but I think I get it. 

I would definitely remove several sports before boxing, although I do think Olympic boxing could use some tweaks.   As mentions Weightlifting likely screwed itself over with some of the lingering doping problems.  

Pentathlon is a good start to remove since it basically became catered to a specific group. And I also agree that for the most part equestrian events really don’t serve a purpose in the Olympics other than satisfying the upper class society.  

Edited by MadMardigain

4 hours ago, DocBZ said:

I can live without modern pentathalon....I just looked it up and it's an insane combination of sports!

Pentathlon has always had to deal with traits an idea soldier would have to have.  Modern Pentathlon was supposed to test all the skills a soldier would need to escape from behind enemy lines.  (pre- WWI 20th century)

That's why it seems to be an odd combination of sports.

George S. Patton was a US Olympian in Modern Pent.

3 hours ago, denger said:

Weightlifting's PED problem pales in comparison to illegal doping in horse based sports.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned that when they wanted to dump wrestling in 2012 it was to preserve modern pentathlon as an Olympic sport.

I did a quick search and read a few articles, their IGB was to come up with a ten year plan so I guess what goes around comes around

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/sports/olympics/to-survive-at-olympic-games-the-pentathlon-changed.html

Edited by KSchlosser
typo

2 hours ago, boconnell said:

Olympic Boxing is terrible.  All the worst parts of boxing without most of the best.  And it's a super low level compared to pro boxing.  No reason to have an Olympic event that the 1000 best people on the planet don't participate in.

They allowed pros this past Olympics. 

7 hours ago, KSchlosser said:

I am surprised nobody has mentioned that when they wanted to dump wrestling in 2012 it was to preserve modern pentathlon as an Olympic sport.

I did a quick search and read a few articles, their IGB was to come up with a ten year plan so I guess what goes around comes around

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/14/sports/olympics/to-survive-at-olympic-games-the-pentathlon-changed.html

There was a lot of corruption around the IOC adding equestrian events with one of the commissioner's children competing being the deciding factor.

There are SIX equestrian events...

https://www.thesprucepets.com/what-are-the-olympic-equestrian-sports-1886888

5 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

BTW I'm pretty sure John E. DuPont was very much into Modern Pentathlon

From Britannica...

Du Pont’s fascination with sports eclipsed his interest in natural history, however. He moved on from swimming to pentathlon, in which he won the 1965 Australian championship, and he hosted the 1968 U.S. pentathlon championships on his estate. Although he never achieved his dream of qualifying for an Olympic team, he managed the U.S. pentathlon team at the Montreal 1976 Olympic Games.

Hold your horses. Not out, yet, but being given an ultimatum basically. Particularly with Boxing and Weightlifting…clean it up. With pentathlon the replacing of the equestrian portion. They’ve been given a “pathway to inclusion” and a timeline of 18 months to comply. 

9 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

The top pros in a combat sport with a prize fighting model are not going to compete in the olympics .

There is no real  barrier to entry to being a pro in boxing.  Pro higher level than  amateur ~is not how boxing is set up.  Some top amateurs never turn pro because they don't want to deal with the clout chasing, politics , and popularity contests that are baked into prize fighting. 

Sonnen says a lot of wrong things. But he is absolutely right that pro boxing has no competitive architecture. The public just doesn't notice and assumes it does.  

guessing modern pentathlon gets rid of their horse component and comes up with enough money to stay in the olympics. good that IOC is at least acknowledging how inaccessible sports involving horses are to most of the globe. the rich people that do horse events (and boat events) ensure those 'sports' inclusion in the Olympic programing, though who knows for how much longer. 

it's also good that the IOC is giving ultimatums to weightlifting and boxing to reform their PED use and corruption. sometimes you have to threaten to use the nuclear option to force that kind of change. 

the IOC is far from perfect but pressuring it's most egregious sports to stop doing bad things is, imo, good. 

19 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Allowing them isn't the issue.  The issue is that no good pro boxer is ever going to fight in the olympics.  They have a limited number of fights and can't waste them in low money olympic fights that mean nothing.  These guys fight like 1-2 times a year.  They aren't going to skip half of their annual income to go represent their country for free under an awful rule set.  If Lebron had to forego half of his games and the corresponding salary, he sure wouldn't be there.  Olympic Boxing is pointless.  It's guys who don't rank in the top 1000 fighting in headgear and a points system.