Sign in to follow this  
JerseyJoey

Most NCAA title between opponents

So IF Dake and Taylor were to wrestle at some point this season, and IF they both win out at the NCAAs for their career...that would make it a match between guys that would win 7 NCAA titles (4 for Dake, 3 for Taylor). Obviously the most you could have is 8, and since Cael and Pat Smith didn't wrestle and neither is wrestling Dake that isn't happening any time soon.

I'm guessing there are no other bouts between guys with 7 titles? Mark Schultz and Ed Banach combined for 6 titles, are there any other 6 time bouts? Rosholt and Greg Jones were in the same bracket at NCAAs but they didn't wrestle, did they meet during the year?

Obviously they've already wrestled in freestyle, I'm assuming no other wrestlers with (possibly) 7 NCAA titles ever wrestled in a freestyle or greco or sumo or thumb wrestling match?

Well that could only be if Cael or Pat Smith wrestled a three timer which off the top of my head I can't think who that would be. I think there have probably been one or two other combos of 6 championships like the Schultz Banach combo. I'll have to work on that.

The only 3 timer that even remotely overlapped with Cael regarding era and weight was Jones, and I'm pretty sure that match never went down.

Did Pat Smith wrestle Joe Williams or Lincoln McIllravy in freestyle, that's probably the only possibility.

I remember Joe Williams having a detailed account on his web site, joewillwin.com, of every opponent he wrested throughout college and Pat Smith was definately one of them. Like Lewboo said, the match occurred Joe's true freshman year. Williams lost.

Pat teched Joe in 1994...

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/okstate/view_wrestler_bouts.php?start=15&wrestler=308&season=1994

jersey joe i believe Pat Smith wrestled Joe Williams in an Iowa vs. Oklahoma St. dual meet when Joe Williams was a true freshman. I am not positive but they probably did.

Ouch! I wouldn't have seen that one coming, especially one month out from Nationals.