NJDan

Wrestler Vaccinations

There are some loud and prominent anti-vaxxers in the wrestling community. But are they representative? Is there any data on what percentage of NCAA wrestlers are vaccinated. Among freestyle wrestlers, is there  any mandate to be vaccinated in order to compete?

Edited by NJDan

1 minute ago, Mphillips said:

FFS! Come on NJSD...this info couldn't be gleaned from the other numerous threads about vaccines/wrestlers?

Actually, no.  I believe from this advisory that there is no vaccine mandate. https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-new-covid-19-guidance-for-fall-sports-released. I have seen no data on vaccination rates. I assume you don't know either, so you don't say. I know that Dake competed internationally this past summer. It seems he is anyi-vax, but it's not entirely clear. Also, maybe the rules have changed since then.  

1 minute ago, NJDan said:

Actually, no.  I believe from this advisory that there is no vaccine mandate. https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-new-covid-19-guidance-for-fall-sports-released. I have seen no data on vaccination rates. I assume you don't know either, so you don't say. I know that Dake competed internationally this past summer. It seems he is anyi-vax, but it's not entirely clear. Also, maybe the rules have changed since then.  

I know for certain that there wasn't a reason for another thread relating to it. It's Cinnabonish...

26 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

FFS! Come on NJSD...this info couldn't be gleaned from the other numerous threads about vaccines/wrestlers?

Someone always has to up someone on the vaccine moral high ground... well at least we know they won't be getting the JJ vaccine now...Remember when that was a conspiracy theory? 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Among freestyle wrestlers, is there  any mandate to be vaccinated in order to compete?

USOPC has made their mandate clear. USAW will follow them.

WTT are in May 2022.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/team-usa/team-selection-criteria

If you aren't vaccinated or have an exemption, you can't compete.

US Open is in April and the winner gets the #1 seed at WTT.

Again, if you aren't vaccinated, you can't compete.

There's a lot of posturing going on right now, but I don't see any way the USOPC/USAW are going to be persuaded to change the requirements.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I think you are confused. You asked if there was a mandate for freestyle and then you post an NCAA link to support your belief there isn't.

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think you are confused. You asked if there was a mandate for freestyle and then you post an NCAA link to support your belief there isn't.

I was not denying a freestyle mandate. I was noting how a universities' policies, which would, of course, apply to their wrestlers. 

49 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

USOPC has made their mandate clear. USAW will follow them.

WTT are in May 2022.

https://www.teamusa.org/usa-wrestling/team-usa/team-selection-criteria

If you aren't vaccinated or have an exemption, you can't compete.

US Open is in April and the winner gets the #1 seed at WTT.

Again, if you aren't vaccinated, you can't compete.

There's a lot of posturing going on right now, but I don't see any way the USOPC/USAW are going to be persuaded to change the requirements.

Thanks. This makes the anti-vax wrestlers seem odder still.

3 hours ago, vegetable lasagna said:

Really wish the vaccine fanatics here would give it a rest 

... and the pro-vaxers wish the anti-vaxers would give it a rest, too.

Thus, the never-ending squabble that "I'm right and you're wrong" from both sides.

It really is a pathetic state of affairs with so many self-righteous people acting as if they know what they don't know. Unable to agree to disagree, practice tolerance and find common ground.

Vaccines could be the solution that will eventually wrestle Covid into submission - or vaccines could eventually cause widespread serious medical problems that eventually end the human race. Or somewhere in between, we don't really know.

The only real moral high ground is to admit that we don't know and that working together, instead of against one another, is the best course of action.

... or just keep squabbling like children. That's more likely.

“A people who cannot talk or listen to each other, who do not respect each other, who will not sincerely consider the thoughts of each other, who do not trust each other and who cannot reason with each other, cannot long live in freedom”  - Marc Racicot (R)

Former Montana Gov. Marc Racicot warns republic is at risk | AP News

6 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

... and the pro-vaxers wish the anti-vaxers would give it a rest, too.

Thus, the never-ending squabble that "I'm right and you're wrong" from both sides.

It really is a pathetic state of affairs with so many self-righteous people acting as if they know what they don't know. Unable to agree to disagree, practice tolerance and find common ground.

Vaccines could be the solution that will eventually wrestle Covid into submission - or vaccines could eventually cause widespread serious medical problems that eventually end the human race. Or somewhere in between, we don't really know.

The only real moral high ground is to admit that we don't know and that working together, instead of against one another, is the best course of action.

... or just keep squabbling like children. That's more likely.

People who get the vaccine and want others to aren't "self-righteous", they're being logical. Every day over 1,000 Americans die from covid and less than .00000000000000000000000000001 die from the vaccine. Of the over 1,000 who die from covid almost all are unvaccinated. Pro vaccine people also look around and notice that polio and smallpox aren't a thing because of vaccinations. We want our lives to go back to normal but that's not possible because a bunch of people who can barely spell "vaccine" are doing their own research on their safety. I've literally had a gym teacher tell me that after doing their research they didn't think it was safe. The contents of the Pfizer vaccine include different lipids, these are the ones: The following lipids are in the new COVID vaccine. Their main role is to protect the mRNA and provide somewhat of a “greasy” exterior that helps the mRNA slide inside the cells.

• ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis
  • (2-hexyldecanoate), 2 [(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide
  • 1,2-Distearoyl-snglycero-3- phosphocholine
  • cholesterol

In the unlikely case they even know what lipids are what are the chances they know anything about these specific ones? How likely is it that "their research" is anything more than reading a FB post or watching a Youtube video full of false information? 

10 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

People who get the vaccine and want others to aren't "self-righteous", they're being logical. Every day over 1,000 Americans die from covid and less than .00000000000000000000000000001 die from the vaccine. Of the over 1,000 who die from covid almost all are unvaccinated. Pro vaccine people also look around and notice that polio and smallpox aren't a thing because of vaccinations. We want our lives to go back to normal but that's not possible because a bunch of people who can barely spell "vaccine" are doing their own research on their safety. I've literally had a gym teacher tell me that after doing their research they didn't think it was safe. The contents of the Pfizer vaccine include different lipids, these are the ones: The following lipids are in the new COVID vaccine. Their main role is to protect the mRNA and provide somewhat of a “greasy” exterior that helps the mRNA slide inside the cells.

• ((4-hydroxybutyl)azanediyl)bis(hexane-6,1-diyl)bis
  • (2-hexyldecanoate), 2 [(polyethylene glycol)-2000]-N,N-ditetradecylacetamide
  • 1,2-Distearoyl-snglycero-3- phosphocholine
  • cholesterol

In the unlikely case they even know what lipids are what are the chances they know anything about these specific ones? How likely is it that "their research" is anything more than reading a FB post or watching a Youtube video full of false information? 

Not everyone who gets the vaccine is self-righteous, nor is everyone who doesn't get the vaccine self-righteous. Those are things I didn't say. What I did say is that we have self-righteous people (both pro and anti) who refuse to participate in logical discussion because they prefer to squabble over their pointless stand.

As to your post - seems entirely reasonable. Someone who isn't a trained medical professional who thinks they can scour the internet to do "their own research" and somehow come up with a better answer than the world's best medical minds is delusional. The world is becoming increasingly complex, and we simply need to rely on experts - which does require some level of trust. Most of us can't engineer buildings and bridges, design-build-repair modern vehicles, design-build computers or phones, perform dental or medical procedures, or a very long list of other things that require specialized training and expertise. We can certainly question the experts, but it would be foolish to dismiss them based on random internet references or conspiracy theories.

52 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

How is Kyle Dake allowed on Cornell’s campus? Is there a chance he moves because of their mandate?

Where is the whole Kyle Dake is unvaccinated trope even coming from?  He's said at least once on video that he's had the vaccine.  If he's said otherwise somewhere else I've missed it.

27 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Not everyone who gets the vaccine is self-righteous, nor is everyone who doesn't get the vaccine self-righteous. Those are things I didn't say. What I did say is that we have self-righteous people (both pro and anti) who refuse to participate in logical discussion because they prefer to squabble over their pointless stand.

As to your post - seems entirely reasonable. Someone who isn't a trained medical professional who thinks they can scour the internet to do "their own research" and somehow come up with a better answer than the world's best medical minds is delusional. The world is becoming increasingly complex, and we simply need to rely on experts - which does require some level of trust. Most of us can't engineer buildings and bridges, design-build-repair modern vehicles, design-build computers or phones, perform dental or medical procedures, or a very long list of other things that require specialized training and expertise. We can certainly question the experts, but it would be foolish to dismiss them based on random internet references or conspiracy theories.

Do you consider Fauci one of  "the world's best medical minds?{

Sometimes even the best medical minds in the world are not correct - 8 mos ago JJ was the best thing since sliced pie according to the CDC and FDA - This week they both warned to not use JJ. You are correct...it requires who you put your trust in.