Sign in to follow this  
tirapell

New FiLA Rules

Just thought I'd point out that FILA has implemented what we discussed earlier with 2 point takedowns and 1 point pushouts. This scoring change should give us a better idea of what a pushout rule in folkstyle might look like with the higher point value being on takedowns.

Yes, I know folkstyle has some different nuances but it's interesting to see the two sports converging again with cumulative scoring, a form of stalling, 2 point takedowns for the first time ever, and the elimination of "manufactured positions" like the clinch, leg or upper body. Maybe the universe is getting smaller after all? ;)

Still looking for actual terminology and clarity on the pushout ... heard its not a push out and would be called fleeing if moving forward and I've heard true push out.

Part of why we will wait domestically for interpretation before full implementation

Still looking for actual terminology and clarity on the pushout ... heard its not a push out and would be called fleeing if moving forward and I've heard true push out.

Part of why we will wait domestically for interpretation before full implementation

Jason, I might not be following all the way. Are you saying for freestyle the terminology and clarity has not been provided yet? Is it not the exact same as it was with the best of 3 format?

Basically went back to pre 2005 rules with two x 3 minute periods with points accumulating (no more best out of three period or reset the score to zero with a new period).

No score in the first two minutes of a period results in a passivity judgement call by the official where a score needs to occur within 30 seconds or the passive wrestler gets a point.

No more ball grabs.

Takedowns are now worth two points!!!!

Pushouts and penalties are worth one point.

Rumor has it that we'll be seeing the new rules implemented at the BTS LA dual today.

In listening to Lalovics press conference, he says no push out ... Dziedzic says there is a push out.

Really? Interesting. I think without the push out, you're going to have a lot of these subjective passivity calls and shot clocks determining winners.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd like to see the push out stay. Never would have said this in 2006. Shorter matches, more conditioning involved, controlling the mat is rewarded, and fewer subjective calls determining outcomes.

I would think the point of a 2 point takedown was to make it more inticive than to just go for the 1 point for step-out. If there wasn't still a step out, I would see no reason for the change in takedown points. So I'm assuming some type of step out still would be used.

I wouldn't mind giving a point where taking someone out of bounds under attack is rewarded. Getting rid of the simple push out would be an improvement though. Get rid of situations where one guy is on his way out, hits some whizzer and then we go to replay to see whose hand hit first.

These new rules sound great! I am beyond pumped that FILA actually listened to the fans (and common sense)... I just hope this isn't too late to save the sport.

I like them because they seem like they are getting back to the time when the rules somewhat made sense... I just hope they get them to a point where the rules are good and then STOP CHANGING THEM! I think part of the IOC's decision could have been because when we significantly change the rules every year it looks like we don't have our act together. When a sport has been around for thousands of years, it should have the rules figured out by now.

I 100% agree with that ancient... There is no reason we can't come to a consensus about what rules make sense for BOTH athletes and fans and stick to it.

I'm glad we can agree when we're not talking about Cael/Dake :) I thought the rules were great in the 90s

Hmmm...

I have to say.. with these rules changes, I'm finally a bit optimistic for freestyle wrestling.

I haven't been a fan of Freestyle Rules ... well... let's just say for a long, long time. It had gotten to the point where I completely stopped caring what they did (and based on what has happened at the Olympic level, apparently so did some others.) It has literally imploded on itself.

The constant changing of rules "to make freestyle wrestling more exciting", has been a miserable FAILURE.

I tried to 'tune' back into Freestyle for the last Olympic games,.. and I was at a loss for a large portion of the rules (and I've been in wrestling for almost 40 years).

I look forward to seeing the "new Freestyle" wrestling, and hope to become a BIG fan of it as well.

I also hope that we keep in mind that Folkstykle is not Freestyle, and that we don't try to make become the same.

Folkstyle wrestling has elements that Freestyle will never have, for me; mat wresting and conditioning at the highest level make it what it is (and I'm sure we could name some more). If we remove these, we decimate what I believe is the core of Folkstyle wrestling.

I LIKE that we can have 2 (3 if you include Greco) forms of wrestling here in the US... I'm just glad to see that an REAL effort has been made to make Freestyle a style of wresting that is not a joke anymore. Now I can sit back and enjoy both. !!

Conan, with the new rules, conditioning is definitely a part of freestyle now too. It's six minutes in two periods. That's pretty close to 3-2-2 in folkstyle. When you add in the passivity call on a scoreless match after the first two minutes, I'd say it's dead even in terms of conditioning.

Also keep in mind that freestyle tends to have less "live" breaks, especially with the penalty for going out-of-bounds encouraging action in the middle. Namely the length of a period is the length of a period, not adding :30 or 1:00 or so to it in terms of "clock time".

Do not underestimate the resulting fatigue from having to battle for mat position and not being able to go out-of-bounds. Folkstyle will still be superior overall conditioning-wise due to having to get off the bottom but they will be more equal in this current format.

I'm still a proponent of some type of "stay on the mat" rule in folkstyle. As I said initially, I'm very interested in how this combination of 2 point TD's and 1 point push-outs will work. After 1 competition, I'd say it's excellent. I actually saw guys stop and try to finish the takedown near the edge rather than continue to drive their oppenent out of bounds, something that has been missing under the old rules.

Also keep in mind that freestyle tends to have less "live" breaks, especially with the penalty for going out-of-bounds encouraging action in the middle. Namely the length of a period is the length of a period, not adding :30 or 1:00 or so to it in terms of "clock time".

Also, unless they change the tournament format, there is much less rest time between matches in freestyle. Imagine going 2, 3 minute periods, and then 2 more 40 minutes later..essentially until you make the finals. Compare that to the "brutal" NCAA tournament where the top guys will have 2 matches for the entire day.

Conan, with the new rules, conditioning is definitely a part of freestyle now too. It's six minutes in two periods. That's pretty close to 3-2-2 in folkstyle. When you add in the passivity call on a scoreless match after the first two minutes, I'd say it's dead even in terms of conditioning.

Ah Yes... one of the reasons I'm encouraged... !!

Do not underestimate the resulting fatigue from having to battle for mat position and not being able to go out-of-bounds. Folkstyle will still be superior overall conditioning-wise due to having to get off the bottom but they will be more equal in this current format.

I'm still a proponent of some type of "stay on the mat" rule in folkstyle. As I said initially, I'm very interested in how this combination of 2 point TD's and 1 point push-outs will work. After 1 competition, I'd say it's excellent. I actually saw guys stop and try to finish the takedown near the edge rather than continue to drive their oppenent out of bounds, something that has been missing under the old rules.

Freestyle allow high aplitude throws differently to folstyle.

My apologies if this has already been addressed, Are they still planning on removing a weight class? And have they announced which weight class they are removing or will it be an overall adjustment of all the weight classes with the total being reduced to 6?

I think this is a huge mistake. I feel there's already way too much separation with the current weight classes which leave some wrestlers stuck in between.

Also are they going to continue with the ridiculousness of two third place finishers? Are their changes to the format of wrestling back?