JerryCallo

Midlands is Cancelled?

I just saw this on the Midlands Website:

2021 Midlands Championships Canceled

•  
  • EVANSTON, Ill. – The 58th annual Ken Kraft Midlands Championships, slated to take place on December 29-30 at NOW Arena in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, has been canceled out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of all tournament participants. The top-tier collegiate wrestling event, hosted by Northwestern University, will not be rescheduled for this season and will look to return to the mat in December of 2022.

• Tickets will be refunded at the original place of purchase. For any questions, please contact NOW Arena at 847-649-2270 or at BoxOffice@NOWArena.com with any questions.

"The tradition of the Midlands is a major part of the wrestling community, however ensuring the health and safety of all participants, coaches, staff members, and fans is our top priority," said Director of the Midlands Championships Tim Cysewski. "Given the evolution of the most recent COVID-19 variant and a recent surge in cases, we certainly understand the gravity of the situation and our responsibility to limit its spread. While we are disappointed that we do not get to host this year's event, we fully expect the Midlands to be back and better than ever in 2022."

https://nusports.com/news/2021/12/22/wrestling-midlands-championships-canceled.aspx

Edited by JerryCallo
add link

Just now, TripNSweep said:

Might as well let people drive without headlights on too. Sticking that fork in an electrical socket can't be that bad, right? 

Maybe we should all self quarantine for 30 years and then come outside like that guy who emerged from the jungle still thinking Japan was involved in WW2. 

Out of an Abundance of Caution!

I don't want to go off on a rant here, but . . .

If we are going to ignore public health pandemics, maybe we can save money by eliminating all that money spent on those pesky road signs - speed limits, stop signs, stop lights - god knows how much electricity we could save that way!

And why stop there?  I am sure we can think of other ways that terrible government interferes with our right to act recklessly, dangerously, and do stupid things that harm our fellow citizens.  

Who cares if no one can get into a hospital?  As long as we have the right to say no to masks and vaccines - THAT is worth all those dead bodies in the refrigerated trucks, right?

But then again, I could be wrong.  

If we are going to ignore public health pandemics, maybe we can save money by eliminating all that money spent on those pesky road signs - speed limits, stop signs, stop lights - god knows how much electricity we could save that way!
And why stop there?  I am sure we can think of other ways that terrible government interferes with our right to act recklessly, dangerously, and do stupid things that harm our fellow citizens.  
Who cares if no one can get into a hospital?  As long as we have the right to say no to masks and vaccines - THAT is worth all those dead bodies in the refrigerated trucks, right?
"dead bodies in refrigerated trucks"

..sounds like a chicken processing plant.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

Rights are so fun when you pretend they come with no responsibilities to anyone besides yourself. You only YOLO once, as they say.

I can’t figure out, at this point in a pandemic, why they can’t have tests for every guy wanting to compete. People in stands back 6 feet and masked. Competitors all tested and bring result to scale. Done. I know the gov is pumping out 500 million in free tests but use some of that ridiculous tuition money to buy tons of tests for each university. 

15 minutes ago, JerryCallo said:

We should all stop clogging our arteries with bad fats. Ban everything with too much fat or too much sugar.

Soylent Green anyone? 

17 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

"dead bodies in refrigerated trucks"

..sounds like a chicken processing plant.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I really WISH I was making this up – and I am pretty sure we are talking about human bodies – not chickens. Here is a sampling:

CALIFORNIA

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-01-07/national-guard-refrigerated-trucks-help-manage-covid-deaths

OREGON

https://www.complex.com/life/oregon-counties-seek-refrigerated-trucks-to-hold-bodies-of-deceased-covid-patients

NYC

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bodies-750-covid-19-victims-new-york-city-remain-refrigerated-n1266762

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The problem with taking away rights is that those who wish to take them away never give them back. 

In this case at least the only rights involved are those of this private entity to do what they want with their tournament, but that's really neither here nor there.

Edited by GoNotQuietly

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The problem with taking away rights is that those who wish to take them away never give them back. 

Are you referring to the right to be stupid or the right to be stupid and put your neighbors and others at risk of death?  I get those two rights mixed up!