JerryCallo

Midlands is Cancelled?

I was just thinking about drivers licenses. If I am under the age of 21 and I want to order a drink in a bar, they ask me for my drivers license to verify my age. If I choose to not drive, how else can I prove my age? I guess birth certificate. So in DC and some other cities it’s now going to be mandatory to produce evidence of vaccination to have a meal in a restaurant, go to a sporting event, etc. Will there be alternative methods of getting a pass For those that can’t or won’t get vaccinated for whatever reason? Like a health certificate?

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Maybe we should all self quarantine for 30 years and then come outside like that guy who emerged from the jungle still thinking Japan was involved in WW2. 

Out of an Abundance of Caution!

No, if you want to wait for the FDA to comply with the Freedom of Information Act request to release the data they relied on to grant Pfizer emergency use authorization for its vaccine, you will have to self quarantine for 55 years, until 2076. Don't ask me why they need that much time when they were able to crunch the data and approve the vaccine in 10 weeks. That's the transparency you can expect from the US public health agencies these days. 

1 hour ago, JerryCallo said:

Have you done any research in the latest variant?  South Africa was first to report and cases are in the decline in just 4 weeks. Your data is a year old. People have made their choice at this point.  This variant is highly contagious and very mild in severity.  You are not going to have dead bodies piling up. Go get in line for your 5th booster and carry on!

38 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I was just thinking about drivers licenses. If I am under the age of 21 and I want to order a drink in a bar, they ask me for my drivers license to verify my age. If I choose to not drive, how else can I prove my age? I guess birth certificate. So in DC and some other cities it’s now going to be mandatory to produce evidence of vaccination to have a meal in a restaurant, go to a sporting event, etc. Will there be alternative methods of getting a pass For those that can’t or won’t get vaccinated for whatever reason? Like a health certificate?

State issued ID card. In Minnesota, it looks very much like a driver's license. Works just as well, except of course driving privileges.

State_ID.jpg

19 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

Have you done any research in the latest variant?  South Africa was first to report and cases are in the decline in just 4 weeks. Your data is a year old. People have made their choice at this point.  This variant is highly contagious and very mild in severity.  You are not going to have dead bodies piling up. Go get in line for your 5th booster and carry on!

You are right, early reports indicated that omicron variant appeared to be highly contagious, yet mild in severity. But those were early.

More recent reports indicate that 'highly contagious' holds true, but the 'mild in severity' portion is more attributable to the fact that millions have gotten vaccinated. For them, especially those with booster shots, the severity has proven to be relatively mild in most cases. For the unvaccinated and to a lesser extent the unboosted, it has proven to be quite severe - to the point where deaths are rising and, yes, in fact some hospitals are once again using refrigerated trucks for temporary storage of the deceased. For the record, yes, we are having hospitals fill up and we are having "dead bodies piling up", and right now it is trending in the wrong direction.

There's still much we don't know about the Omicron variant - but note that if anybody claims to have all the answers, they're lying to you.

I would recommend we all find reputable (be picky) sources of information and follow. Maybe we'll get good news, or maybe it'll be gloom and doom. I'm hoping for the former and preparing for the latter.

1 minute ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

You are right, early reports indicated that omicron variant appeared to be highly contagious, yet mild in severity. But those were early.

More recent reports indicate that 'highly contagious' holds true, but the 'mild in severity' portion is more attributable to the fact that millions have gotten vaccinated. For them, especially those with booster shots, the severity has proven to be relatively mild in most cases. For the unvaccinated and to a lesser extent the unboosted, it has proven to be quite severe - to the point where deaths are rising and, yes, in fact some hospitals are once again using refrigerated trucks for temporary storage of the deceased. For the record, yes, we are having hospitals fill up and we are having "dead bodies piling up", and right now it is trending in the wrong direction.

There's still much we don't know about the Omicron variant - but note that if anybody claims to have all the answers, they're lying to you.

I would recommend we all find reputable (be picky) sources of information and follow. Maybe we'll get good news, or maybe it'll be gloom and doom. I'm hoping for the former and preparing for the latter.

Good info.

I believe there are plenty of posters on these boards who are hoping for gloom and doom.

58 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

If you do the math, the greater transmissibility of Omicron far outweighs the lesser severity, thereby resulting in more deaths.

Meh... 

I'm just going to go back to choppin' wood, smoking my meats on my Oklahoma Joe Offset, and watching while everyone tribalizes further into their own ravines of triggeration.  This thread, too, will be deleted... just a matter of time.  

Losing Midlands again sucks.  Omicron sucks.  Our government's response sucks.  Tribalism sucks.  Do as I say, not as I do, that sucks even worse.  

But oh well, each of us are only 1 in 331,000,000+, with our own opinions, thoughts, and tribes, and nothing any of us say will change anything, in any direction, regardless of how much wrestling forum posting we make.  

So... on that note... start placing wagers if NCAA's even happens?  

26 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Meh... 

I'm just going to go back to choppin' wood, smoking my meats on my Oklahoma Joe Offset, and watching while everyone tribalizes further into their own ravines of triggeration.  This thread, too, will be deleted... just a matter of time.  

Losing Midlands again sucks.  Omicron sucks.  Our government's response sucks.  Tribalism sucks.  Do as I say, not as I do, that sucks even worse.  

But oh well, each of us are only 1 in 331,000,000+, with our own opinions, thoughts, and tribes, and nothing any of us say will change anything, in any direction, regardless of how much wrestling forum posting we make.  

So... on that note... start placing wagers if NCAA's even happens?  

Truly great post 

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

The problem with taking away rights is that those who wish to take them away never give them back. 

The last I looked, you could live wherever you want, marry whoever you want, work wherever you want, etc, etc.

Let's keep the big picture in mind.

1 hour ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

No, it’s more mild. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/22/health/covid-omicron-delta-hospitalizations.html

4 hours ago, Witherman said:

in before this thread is inevitably gone but - lets not forgot this is in chicago 

This is Illinois akin to New York akin to California akin to Michigan. Midlands should just mak a permanent move to the sunshine state and I’m sure the attendance would triple 

25 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

I see your point. But it isn't that simple. Unfortunately for all of us, none of this is simple (thus the widespread confusion.)

These are some of the early reports I was referring to. (The article itself is new, but the reports it references are not.)

I think it's great that if offers "hope", there is certainly nothing wrong with that! We'll know more soon, and I'm hoping for the best.

Omicron Infections Seem to Be Milder, Three Research Teams Report
The data offer a rare bit of good news. Still, hospitalizations are likely to increase simply because the variant is so contagious.

offering hope that the current surge may not be quite as catastrophic as feared despite skyrocketing caseloads
The results in each setting, while still preliminary,
New research suggests
"I don't want to be an alarmist, but I don't think that you can let your guard down'

• Preliminary results are more of a 'first impression' than they are a medical confirmation.
    • Don't hang your hat on results that haven't been reviewed or confirmed. The internet is full of such reports. Be picky about who you trust.
  • "Hospitalizations are likely to increase...Skyrocketing caseloads" - but how can it be mild and still be getting worse?
    • Because so many are vaccinated the resulting infections appear milder in most cases. The vaccines are helping out here.
      • Higher % of 'mild' of the overall infected
    • Because it's more contagious, many more will be infected, so more will require hospitalization.
      • Lower % of 'severe' of the overall infected, yet higher numbers of actual 'severe' cases due to higher numbers of cases overall
    • So, more mild and also more severe. Yes.

I would definitely pay attention to the quote from the article:
"I don't want to be an alarmist, but I don't think that you can let your guard down'

Can any explain why the Michigan football team is getting booster shots?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32920662/michigan-wolverines-set-get-covid-19-booster-shot-team-ahead-college-football-playoff-semifinal-vs-georgia-bulldogs

This doesn't fit with the "let's follow the science.  Also the WHO doesn't seem to agree with boosters in general.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/22/who-says-covid-vaccine-booster-programs-will-prolong-pandemic.html