JerryCallo

Midlands is Cancelled?

35 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Have people noticed that the Midlands is not alone. The NBA, NHL and NFL have postponed games. U. Florida just quit its bowl game. NHL players are not going to the Olympics. None of these are cancellations, but it's not like Northwestern is the only one taking action. Also: The Midlands is, I would think, not a profitable event to begin with.

Florida?  Say it ain't so!  Man, this is looking that one time when when that one guy said he'd move his convention to Florida where the liberals don't get in the way.

Good news, bad news.

Philadelphia just now said they are no longer going to be giving away the free rapid tests Biden has distributed. Why, you ask? "Because data says Omicron seems milder". You can't make this stuff up. Btw, nurses in Phila. hospitals are being given test kits. Many already claim they give false readings.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/live/covid-philadelphia-eagles-rapid-test-pa-nj-de-updates-20211223.html

Bad news? As consumer prices accelerate the fastest in 39 years, news comes out that cereal prices are going up a whopping 20 percent on January 1.

https://www.foodmanufacturing.com/supply-chain/news/21915887/report-general-mills-to-raise-some-prices-by-20-in-january

So while you can't attend or watch Midlands, hopefully you can watch the Southern Scuffle from the Volunteer State while enjoying some pricey Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Lucky Charms!

Top of the Mornin' to ya!

Edited by TBar1977

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Good news, bad news.

Philadelphia just now said they are no longer going to be giving away the free rapid tests Biden has distributed. Why, you ask? "Because data says Omicron seems milder". You can't make this stuff up. Btw, nurses in Phila. hospitals are being given test kits. Many already claim they ive false readings.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/live/covid-philadelphia-eagles-rapid-test-pa-nj-de-updates-20211223.html

Bad news? As consumer prices accelerate the fastest in 39 years, news comes out that cereal prices are going up a whopping 20 percent on January 1.

https://www.foodmanufacturing.com/supply-chain/news/21915887/report-general-mills-to-raise-some-prices-by-20-in-january

So while you can't attend or watch Midlands, hopefully you can watch the Southern Scuffle from the Volunteer State while enjoying some pricey Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Lucky Charms!

Top of the Mornin' to ya!

tbar lying as usual. if you actually read the article they stopped giving away tests because they already successfully gave them away. they are ordering more and will begin distributing as soon as they arrive.

the thing about it being milder is a separate part of the article. tbar either lied, didn’t read the article, is not smart enough to understand the article, or a combination of all three.

”you can’t make this stuff up”

you literally did lmaooo

Edited by uncle bernard

6 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

tbar lying as usual. if you actually read the article they stopped giving away tests because they already successfully gave them away. they are ordering more and will begin distributing as soon as they arrive.

the thing about it being milder is a separate part of the article. tbar either lied, didn’t read the article, is not smart enough to understand the article, or a combination of all three.

you literally did lmaooo

But the article did say Omicron is milder?

Joe announced plans to send 1000 military docs and nurses to our nation's hospitals. Let me rephrase, to our nation's 6000 Plus hospitals.

That will surely make a huge difference. Every 6 hospitals sharing one extra nurse after having been mandated into forced layoffs. I shudder to think where we'd be without real leadership like this.

7 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

you literally did lmaooo

The fact they so quickly ran out of these rapid tests, which we will come to find out are not very accurate anyway, is a success story?

Let’s just stop and think about this pandemic for a second.  There have been 810,000 known COVID deaths so far.  That’s like the entire city of Seattle vanishing, plus some.

Further, we’re currently averaging 2,000 deaths per day.  And now that Omicron is widespread, we’re still in the thick of this pandemic.

In the context of all that death and suffering and loss, college sports aren’t really that important, IMO.

Edited by Katie

7 minutes ago, unbiased said:

yes it links to a nyt article. if you read that article, the scientists whose claims they are using explain the results are likely milder because omicron is better at reinfecting people who have already had it and people who are vaccinated, but the previous immunity of these people mitigates the effects of the virus. 

so it doesn’t mean that the virus is necessarily weaker. it means it’s better at infecting people with strong protection and better responses so its overall percentage of serious cases will be lower, but it’s still expected to lead to increased hospitalizations and deaths because it will infect people without prior protection. 

this is why it’s important to read articles, not headlines. and especially important to at least correctly read headlines, unlike @TBar1977 who doesn’t know what a semicolon does. 

12 minutes ago, unbiased said:

Omicron infections are milder according to scientists from three countries and two continents. Unfortunately they did not pass their information thru Denmark(last week this was a concern for some). 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/omicron-infections-seem-to-be-milder-three-research-teams-report/articleshow/88444547.cms

11 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I see your point. But it isn't that simple. Unfortunately for all of us, none of this is simple (thus the widespread confusion.)

These are some of the early reports I was referring to. (The article itself is new, but the reports it references are not.)

I think it's great that if offers "hope", there is certainly nothing wrong with that! We'll know more soon, and I'm hoping for the best.

• Preliminary results are more of a 'first impression' than they are a medical confirmation.
    • Don't hang your hat on results that haven't been reviewed or confirmed. The internet is full of such reports. Be picky about who you trust.
  • "Hospitalizations are likely to increase...Skyrocketing caseloads" - but how can it be mild and still be getting worse?
    • Because so many are vaccinated the resulting infections appear milder in most cases. The vaccines are helping out here.
      • Higher % of 'mild' of the overall infected
    • Because it's more contagious, many more will be infected, so more will require hospitalization.
      • Lower % of 'severe' of the overall infected, yet higher numbers of actual 'severe' cases due to higher numbers of cases overall
    • So, more mild and also more severe. Yes.

I would definitely pay attention to the quote from the article:
"I don't want to be an alarmist, but I don't think that you can let your guard down'

It actually is that simple.  I am picky about who I trust, I'll go with the NYTimes and WSJ and their sources thanks.  I think if an entire wave hits multiple countries and they aren't seeing nearly the same hospitalizations or deaths and the numbers are already declining as fast as they rose that is more than just preliminary results.  

5 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Omicron infections are milder according to scientists from three countries and two continents. Unfortunately they did not pass their information thru Denmark(last week this was a concern for some). 

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/omicron-infections-seem-to-be-milder-three-research-teams-report/articleshow/88444547.cms

“tbar, read the articles you link challenge”

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

“tbar, read the articles you link challenge”

I do read them. If you read that article and do not take in that Omicron is milder I am not going to copy and paste for you. I copied and pasted one headline and you don't like that either. You seem anti headline today. But this is a fact, not just the headline says that Omicron is milder.

Just now, TBar1977 said:

I do read them. If you read that article and do not take in that Omicron is milder I am not going to copy and paste for you. I copied and pasted one headline and you don't like that either. You seem anti headline today. But this is a fact, not just the headline says that Omicron is milder.

but WHY is it milder, Tbar? because it’s infecting people with prior immunity. that’s what the articles tell you. it’s not necessarily inherently milder if you don’t have the prior protection of a vaccine or infection.

every article you linked has made clear that the scientists you’re using believe this is still a very serious variant, but you ignore that because you only read for info that matches your priors (when you read in the first place).

The article states that immunization can be from prior infection OR vaccine. Also, the vax rate is completely different in the three countries studied. Further, our vax rate is much higher than SA, and if YOU or I are vaxxed then then Omicron is milder, which is what I linked to.

People can read the article without the need for you to filter the information.

20 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Joe announced plans to send 1000 military docs and nurses to our nation's hospitals. Let me rephrase, to our nation's 6000 Plus hospitals.

That will surely make a huge difference. Every 6 hospitals sharing one extra nurse after having been mandated into forced layoffs. I shudder to think where we'd be without real leadership like this.

According to military nurses that I know,  many military hospitals are already chronically under staffed and nurse retention rates are already too low.  Seems to me that robbing Peter to pay Paul may not work out so well for patient care at military hospitals as well.  There is no nurse tree growing at the Pentagon.

1 minute ago, swoopdown said:

According to military nurses that I know,  many military hospitals are already chronically under staffed and nurse retention rates are already too low.  Seems to me that robbing Peter to pay Paul may not work out so well for patient care at military hospitals as well.  There is no nurse tree growing at the Pentagon.

Yet another part of the problem. They laid so many people off it is scary.

They give away rapid tests to everyone who wants them, thus leading to shortages among people who truly need them. Their plan has so many holes in it that it isn't funny.

32 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

It probably is, but we don't really know how much milder it is in conjuction with how much more contagious it is.

If it is more "contagiouser" (I know that's not a word) than it is "milder," then that's not exactly great news.

40 minutes ago, Katie said:

Let’s just stop and think about this pandemic for a second.  There have been 810,000 known COVID deaths so far.  That’s more people than live in Seattle, Denver, Washington DC, or Boston. 

Further, we’re currently averaging 2,000 deaths per day.  And now that Omicron is widespread, we’re still in the thick of this pandemic.

In the context of all that death and suffering and loss, college sports aren’t really that important, IMO.

The vast majority of deaths have been old people or those with significant comorbities, correct? How many of those people would have died in the last 2 years anyway? Of the tiny percentage of young, healthy, people of reproductive age that have died from Covid, is it possible that they were genetically vulnerable to this virus and their genes not being passed on is ultimately good for the health of the entire human herd?

Since the beginning of this thing, those people with natural immunity, either acquired or genetic, have been urged to get vaccinated anyway, and the control group of unvaccinated is steadily shrinking so that adequate scientific study of them is becoming more and more difficult. But we sure have sold a lot of vaccines. 

With animals carrying this thing, it’s clear it is never going away. I choose to live with it rather than run from it. But that should be my choice, based on my assessment of my risk, others are free to choose to protect themselves as best as they see fit. Can we stop blaming people for its existence and make our own choices about what’s best for ourselves and our families? Good grief. 

5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

COVID kills another thread... Remember people that it only takes one vaccinated poster to infect a thread and kill it within minutes ... Keep your distance from the super spreaders. 

doesn't matter if it kills this thread, it will simply mutant and infect another thread  ;)