JerryCallo

Midlands is Cancelled?

2 hours ago, tigerfan said:

The vast majority of deaths have been old people or those with significant comorbities, correct? How many of those people would have died in the last 2 years anyway? Of the tiny percentage of young, healthy, people of reproductive age that have died from Covid, is it possible that they were genetically vulnerable to this virus and their genes not being passed on is ultimately good for the health of the entire human herd?

Since the beginning of this thing, those people with natural immunity, either acquired or genetic, have been urged to get vaccinated anyway, and the control group of unvaccinated is steadily shrinking so that adequate scientific study of them is becoming more and more difficult. But we sure have sold a lot of vaccines. 

With animals carrying this thing, it’s clear it is never going away. I choose to live with it rather than run from it. But that should be my choice, based on my assessment of my risk, others are free to choose to protect themselves as best as they see fit. Can we stop blaming people for its existence and make our own choices about what’s best for ourselves and our families? Good grief. 

The question is, what policies should we favor in the face of this pandemic?  I do not have an advanced degree in public health or virology, so I defer to those who do.

But if you think that your take on social Darwinism — which collapsed as a credible school of thought long ago — trumps what the experts are recommending, that’s up to you.

We’re talking about hundreds of thousands people dying excruciating and terrifying deaths, largely alone. And the figure will likely surpass a million. In my view, writing all those people off is disgusting.

Edited by Katie

1 hour ago, dman115 said:

I wonder when everyone in FL, TX, UT, Iowa, etc. are going start dying??  Shouldn't those states be whipped out by now?  I mean, if you don't mask up, stay 6 feet away, close small businesses, and get 32 vaccine shots you surely are going to die, and kill all your family, friends, and neighbors along the way...don't these people who live there care about other people....oh wait...what does the data say??

You keep repeating this same point like it's some sort of ultimate rebuttal. But it's not. 

It's extremely difficult to compare states against one another due to demographics, population density, travel throughput, adherence to regulations and guidelines, and other factors. Not to mention that vaccine acceptance and adherence to guidelines is not linear in any state. You could have a densely populated state with a pretty decent rate of vaccinations and decent observations of recommended guidelines but there is so much traffic and intermingling with outside populations that trying to compare its Covid response to a state like Iowa would be a bad practice.

A more "statistically honest" way to look at a state and its Covid response is to break up a state into chunks, county sized or, ideally, smaller, small enough to allow you to focus in on just a few variables at a time and compare them against one another: How do 2 populations of generally healthy adults respond to Covid, one vaccinated the other largely not? Etc. This is research is being done, by companies such as my own and other parties, but it is slow going.

To answer your question more directly, you wouldnt expect to see the grim, huge difference between states. You would, however, expect to see a difference that is, by strict definition, statistically significant. News flash, that is exactly what is happening. Just bear in mind what I mentioned about the challenges of comparing states against one another 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

But New Midlands has risen! Aurora, IL?

Illinois is one of the last places it ought to be held!  Their covid cases are skyrocketing & wasn't there just a report (think i read it on this board) of a Midlands in Illinois being cancelled?  ;_;

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Joe announced plans to send 1000 military docs and nurses to our nation's hospitals. Let me rephrase, to our nation's 6000 Plus hospitals.

That will surely make a huge difference. Every 6 hospitals sharing one extra nurse after having been mandated into forced layoffs. I shudder to think where we'd be without real leadership like this.

You mean like where we were in 2020 with this?

7 minutes ago, ionel said:

Illinois is one of the last places it ought to be held!  Their covid cases are skyrocketing & wasn't there just a report (think i read it on this board) of a Midlands in Illinois being cancelled?  ;_;

They seem to have a sponsor there for the event and it seems like it will happen.

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

Different Illinois...

1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

The Amish population in Lancaster, PA (close to Philly) is doing very well without any vaccines.

None.

Where's the polio deaths? Iron lungs at every Church I guess.

Measles? Mumps? Rubella?

Why hasn't Covid devastated their community?

God?

Better health (whole milk, eggs, bacon)?

Harder workers?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They've been effectively quarantining for several centuries now so they're well ahead of the curve in that regard

7 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

You mean like where we were in 2020 with this?

I think we are further along than 2020 because we have the vaccine, of course. But to the point made, firing many thousands of medical workers then sending out 1 worker for every 6 hospitals seems completely insufficient.

If your point is that we marshalled federal resources and sent medical workers and supplies out in 2020, that was a much, much larger effort. MOre people, the Javits CFenter, the Ships off each coast ...etc.

1 hour ago, cjc007 said:

I must have had the dates wrong.

Is there a Wilkes Open this season?

That was it- except was an invite due to covid restrictions. I think for a while it was listed as on open. It was also going to be a series of duals then in the last few weeks Coach L said they decided to go the invite individual event we had yesterday.

Just now, TBar1977 said:

I think we are further along than 2020 because we have the vaccine, of course. But to the point made, firing many thousands of medical workers then sending out 1 worker for every 6 hospitals seems completely insufficient.

If your point is that we marshalled federal resources and sent medical workers and supplies out in 2020, that was a much, much larger effort. MOre people, the Javits CFenter, the Ships off each coast ...etc.

More that the fact we basically ignored the virus and let it grow to where it became is what I was getting at.

2 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

More that the fact we basically ignored the virus and let it grow to where it became is what I was getting at.

I remember seeing a press conference with Fauci in late January 2020 I think. Not sure the precise date, but fairly early on. Then of course the lockdowns began in March of that year.

First Day of Stay at Home Order in the United States (timeanddate.com)

I recall comparing the US lockdo0wns to those in the EU and while the EU was maybe in some places earlier but other places a little later, they also had far more cases earlier as well and the difference, from my memory, wasn't more than maybe 10 days on average one way or the other. Our system of States makes it a little uneven, but our earliest lockdowns coincide with Canada. This link shows Germany at March 16, 2020. UK was later than that.

COVID-19 lockdowns - Wikipedia

4 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Or would it be, 'inaction'...

Certain types of Comments I would consider actions…for example: “we don’t have to worry about it; it will just disappear; we will be down to zero cases in no time” 

Comments, actions, and inactions, from federal officials on both sides of the aisle at the beginning of this had a very large impact in the state of all this today. 

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I remember seeing a press conference with Fauci in late January 2020 I think. Not sure the precise date, but fairly early on. Then of course the lockdowns began in March of that year.

First Day of Stay at Home Order in the United States (timeanddate.com)

I recall comparing the US lockdo0wns to those in the EU and while the EU was maybe in some places earlier but other places a little later, they also had far more cases earlier as well and the difference, from my memory, wasn't more than maybe 10 days on average one way or the other. Our system of States makes it a little uneven, but our earliest lockdowns coincide with Canada. This link shows Germany at March 16, 2020. UK was later than that.

COVID-19 lockdowns - Wikipedia

You didn't read what you posted. They were state imposed lockdowns. They were generally opposed by Trump supporters.

6 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

You didn't read what you posted. They were state imposed lockdowns. They were generally opposed by Trump supporters.

I read it and even mentioned our system of States which you quoted. I acknowledge Trump was against lockdowns, but don't equate his position to your earlier comment of "we ignored the virus". He initiated warp speed to get vaccines, which even the current admin praised him for this week. Then there was the mobilization of medical care and ventilators ...etc.

Edited by TBar1977

Just now, TBar1977 said:

I read iot and even mentioned pour system os States which you quoted. I acknowledge Trump was against lockdowns, but don't equate his position top your earlier comment of "we ignored the virus". He initiated warp speed top gtet vaccines, which even the current admin praised him for this week. Then there was the mobilization of medical care and ventilators ...etc.

I suspect it was more Navarro and the early covid council that did that than him but am certainly glad he didn't oppose it since the whole mrna technology had started as far back as Bush II and possibly Clinton.

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Certain types of Comments I would consider actions…for example: “we don’t have to worry about it; it will just disappear; we will be down to zero cases in no time” 

I think that was part of the "Let each State deal with the virus" strategy.  WTF?  In the business world, that's called "passing the buck".

I am from NY even and my Federal taxes are about 3x my State taxes.  I think that warranted a Federal response.

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

I suspect it was more Navarro and the early covid council that did that than him but am certainly glad he didn't oppose it since the whole mrna technology had started as far back as Bush II and possibly Clinton.

Navarro is on record that Trump was a driving force in warp speed. Not the science end of it, of course, just the desire to not let red tape and the normal 4 years worth of trails process prevent getting it to the public.

7 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I read it and even mentioned our system of States which you quoted. I acknowledge Trump was against lockdowns, but don't equate his position to your earlier comment of "we ignored the virus". He initiated warp speed to get vaccines, which even the current admin praised him for this week. Then there was the mobilization of medical care and ventilators ...etc.

You can read the Congressional report.

https://coronavirus.house.gov/sites/democrats.coronavirus.house.gov/files/SSCCInterimReportDec2021V1.pdf

Some of these are the things that Trump takes credit for:

• Took early action to cut off travel from China
  • Built the world’s leading testing system from nothing
  • Enacted mitigation measures to slow the spread
  • Mobilized public and private sectors to secure needed supplies
  • Took action to protect vulnerable Americans
  • Launched effort to deliver a vaccine and therapeutics in record time
  • Provided support to workers and businesses
  • Paved way for reopening to get America working again
  • Surged resources to hot spots as they arose
  • Confronted China as origin of the virus while Democrats and media cowered
  • Canceling Midlands Wrestling tournament

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Navarro is on record that Trump was a driving force in warp speed. Not the science end of it, of course, just the desire to not let red tape and the normal 4 years worth of trails process prevent getting it to the public.

There's a long record of Trump supporters supporting him regardless of the truth. I  mentioned him because he was trying to prepare the country for pandemics back during Bush II.