Jimmy Cinnabon

Call me crazy, but Ferrari is more of a lock to win than Spencer

Agree or disagree?

Reasons:

1. Spencer has no ACLs and has the equivalent of 6 years of wear and tear on his body from his college career.  He may be wearing a brace over his entire lower body by the end of this season.

2. 125 has a few guys theoretically capable of upsetting the Lee (Glory, Vito, the Suriano)

3. Ferrari is too big, strong, tanned and explosive for his competitors.  I would give Max Dean a shot but he's a pumped up 184 pounder.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

I would say Gable, Lee and then Yianni are HEAVY favorites. I would then probably put Ferrari at the top of the 2nd tier as 197 has a large pack of guys that are good, but no one has really stepped up to the great level.

After that, the weight classes are SOOOO competitive, that I wouldn't feel comfortable picking anyone:

125:  see above

133:  RBY has Fix and you still have DeSanto with a "puncher's chance".  ;)

141:  Lee has Eierman, Rivera and Micic to navigate

149: see above

157:  Carr looks really good, but Deakin's best version could definitely beat him and you still have an NCAA Champ in O'Connor and Teemer is pretty damn good.

165:  Landmine after landmine.  You have just as much chance drawing a name of the top 8 out of a hat as picking who wins this weight.

174:  Starocci has Kemerer, Lewis, Hidlay and even Foca showed he can hang.

184:  Brooks has Hidlay, Keckeisen and eventually Amine.

197:  see above

285:  see above

26 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

I would say Gable, Lee and then Yianni are HEAVY favorites. I would then probably put Ferrari at the top of the 2nd tier as 197 has a large pack of guys that are good, but no one has really stepped up to the great level.

this

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

After that, the weight classes are SOOOO competitive, that I wouldn't feel comfortable picking anyone:

125:  see above

133:  RBY has Fix and you still have DeSanto with a "puncher's chance".  ;)

141:  Lee has Eierman, Rivera and Micic to navigate

149: see above

157:  Carr looks really good, but Deakin's best version could definitely beat him and you still have an NCAA Champ in O'Connor and Teemer is pretty damn good.

165:  Landmine after landmine.  You have just as much chance drawing a name of the top 8 out of a hat as picking who wins this weight.

174:  Starocci has Kemerer, Lewis, Hidlay and even Foca showed he can hang.

184:  Brooks has Hidlay, Keckeisen and eventually Amine.

197:  see above

285:  see above

I hope you are right about Yianni, but I don't think you can be that confident as Yianni has had very few matches at 149.

Just now, MSU158 said:

Does George DiCamillo or Colby Smith still have eligibility.  Just asking because those 2 are the only guys I could find that pinned Jayden and that was in 2017…

You clearly haven't been watching wrestling the last week.  :(

26 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why is Ferrari a lock at all, much less more of lock than Lee. He won his finals match by two points and just had a two or three point match against the guy who came in 8th last year. He is the #1 ranked and, therefore, the favorite, but no lock.

How many times has he been taken down?

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Oh he knows.  Just being daft...

Daft? Those that whine about phantom pins are on par with the football fans that say the refs cost them the game. I mean, if not for instant replay, Michigan would be undefeated, right?

Sorry, but whining about falls not being called drive me crazy and I say this about EVERY near fall situation, including my own. If I had a chance to pin someone and didn’t, that was my fault. On top of that, if I still lost after having someone on their back, shame on me…

12 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Agree or disagree?

Reasons:

1. Spencer has no ACLs and has the equivalent of 6 years of wear and tear on his body from his college career.  He may be wearing a brace over his entire lower body by the end of this season.

2. 125 has a few guys theoretically capable of upsetting the Lee (Glory, Vito, the Suriano)

3. Ferrari is too big, strong, tanned and explosive for his competitors.  I would give Max Dean a shot but he's a pumped up 184 pounder.

6 years?  Great math.

The muffin man actually posted a legit topic...

Lee is definitely not a lock, especially this year with no ACLs...

Yianni is one cradle from Sasso away from being pinned.  That head on his knee trick can only be played so many times...

Ferrari doesn't have the caliber of opponents like the other weight classes.  Most thought Amos would light him up but I'm beginning to think the opposite...

Gable... if Delgarbino can pin Cass, Parris can beat Gable.  Sometimes overconfidence can lead to silly mistakes... (but.. Gable is still the prohibitive favorite of course). 

Fun topic actually... 

On 12/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, unbiased said:

Gable

If there is a lock it’s only Gable! He appears bored and even occasionally rests for a period. He expends energy when required. I also expect continued improvement consistent with his wins since the Cassar defeat. FastTwitch will have problems with Dean. In the PS program I expect Dean ver2.0. Also awaiting return of Darmstadt. Here’s a guy if healthy rates at the top.

Edited by Gmann2277

5 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Gable... if Delgarbino can pin Cass, Parris can beat Gable.  Sometimes overconfidence can lead to silly mistakes... (but.. Gable is still the prohibitive favorite of course). 

No one is touching Gable this year. I wonder what the odds are on him going undefeated cause I would take that bet.

Anyone know how Mekhi has looked this year? If he's back to his NCAA champ form then he's my pick to win it.

6 hours ago, BTC said:

No one is touching Gable this year. I wonder what the odds are on him going undefeated cause I would take that bet.

Anyone know how Mekhi has looked this year? If he's back to his NCAA champ form then he's my pick to win it.

Mekhi beat Foca in TB-1 by a 3-1 score (in which Foca inexplicably took top and so gave up two escapes).

(also bizarre:  Foca wrestled two national champions (Lewis and Starocci) this week, gave up zero offensive points, and lost both matches)