NJDan

TMS is one of the NY Times Highlights of the Year

10 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Did you even read the article?
"But let’s pause and appreciate Tamyra Mensah-Stock’s athleticism in becoming the first Black woman to win gold in wrestling."

Yes. That's great. But I don't see it as a Jackie Robinson moment and, as a highlight, the last 20 seconds of Gable's match was far better.  So I guess I did read the article, which was about the best highlights.

13 hours ago, NJDan said:

Why is Steveson better?  Because he blew a lead and then regained it.

Loved Gable, but TMS was more dominant and a way better interview.

5 hours ago, Gantry said:

Folks seriously, can all the regular posters of TheMat stop replying to NJDan already and put them on ignore?  It's enough already and the shtick is so tired at this point, do me an xmas solid. 

I am sorry to anyone who took offense (except to Gantry, who is being a jerk). Happy Holidays to all.

Edited by NJDan

At times, TMS reminds me of J'den Cox in terms of the way she wrestles—footwork, movement, often unorthodox approach, body comportment, ability to overwhelm an opponent physically even if the match is close in score—as well as her general enthusiasm and demeanor. 

Folks seriously, can all the regular posters of TheMat stop replying to NJDan already and put them on ignore?  It's enough already and the shtick is so tired at this point, do me an xmas solid. 
I don't think it's an act.

The guy has three active, functioning brain cells.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Her antics on the mat, both towards her opponents and after the final whistle, are so far over the top sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although I watched her matches at at the Olympics, I don't really remember them off the top of my head.

On 12/25/2021 at 5:43 PM, dmm53 said:

At times, TMS reminds me of J'den Cox in terms of the way she wrestles—footwork, movement, often unorthodox approach, body comportment, ability to overwhelm an opponent physically even if the match is close in score—as well as her general enthusiasm and demeanor. 

yes, i said something similarly a couple years ago when she began her ascent! they were both at the otc at the time. they both do that square stance, alternating lead leg stagger footwork and also like to finger fight to close space. it's a very unique style of movement. i think you can see a lot of j'den's influence on her as she developed post-2016.

On 12/24/2021 at 11:32 PM, AHamilton said:

Why is Steveson better?  Because he blew a lead and then regained it.

Loved Gable, but TMS was more dominant and a way better interview.

Her interview is right up there with my all-time favorite interviews ever.  Overflowing with passion and joy, and unabashedly patriotic.