Sign in to follow this  
Tripster

10:5 in folkstyle is a tech in freestyle

I like it. Not all the rules are great but its a small step in the right direction a takedown should be rewarded more than it had been.

Looking at your screen name I know you will like it.

I like it. Not all the rules are great but its a small step in the right direction a takedown should be rewarded more than it had been.

Looking at your screen name I know you will like it.

Thats right its not "stall to win" or "sink the boots"

Every set of rules has weird quirks with it but these new ones are MUCH better in all the ways that matter.

But even in this case if the opponent cannot get any points while getting taken down 5 times in a row (such as a quick push-out, or takedown of his own, or exposure, etc) then it probably should be a tech fall.

So... if the Freestyle rule is moved to Folkstyle

I a guy hits a head and arm (head lock or any other TD to NF) to a 5 count NF.... 2+3.... he wins by Tech fall...

A one hit wonder...

I think you have to leave the tech at 15 pt advantage.

anything less... it becomes too easy to tech.. and it also makes the spread between the Major bonus points and bonus points for the tech too close. IMO

So... if the Freestyle rule is moved to Folkstyle

I a guy hits a head and arm (head lock or any other TD to NF) to a 5 count NF.... 2+3.... he wins by Tech fall...

then it would only be 5-0, right? no tech in either style there.

the reason a 10-5 folkstyle score would be a tech in freestyle is because you don't get points for escapes in freestyle. so it would be 10-0.

Right and people keep saying that a takedown is 2 in folkstyle but its 2 only if you keep your opponent down till the end of the period. If you let him up your takedown is only worth 1 point in folkstyle.

Right and people keep saying that a takedown is 2 in folkstyle but its 2 only if you keep your opponent down till the end of the period. If you let him up your takedown is only worth 1 point in folkstyle.

By that rationale, if you get a TD, turn your opponent for 4 -3pt nearfalls and ride out the period, the TD is now worth 14 pts......correct?

No, still 2 or 1 if you let him up. The rest are points given for mat wrestling just like in freestyle.

but you dont have to let the opponent it up. most times the bottom man earns his escape point. then there's the whole riding time advantage.

right now the FS TD is a little more valuable to the overall match then a folkstyle TD. but a folkstyle TD was more valuable to the match then a FS TD in the old rules.

its an interesting point but i'd be careful not to take the analogy too far. you imply too much by stating a folkstyle TD is worth 1 pt just because of escape points are also awarded.

I see...

I simple transfer of rules from Freestyle to Folkstyle is a little bit more complicated...

But my premise that Folkstyle keep the 15 pt. spread is the same. (there needs to be a reasonable gap between regular decisions, bonus points for Majors, bonus points for Techs, and of coarse the ultimate in points for the Fall.

We need to keep Team Scoring viable for College (and High School) teams.

I'm going to claim ignorance here...: do the European schools have duals... ?? or are there only individual (non-team) tournaments ... ?? or do they only have national tournaments...

To be honest... I've never heard of a dual between European university's ... but that may be due to my lack of knowledge of European schools.

We need to keep Team Scoring viable for College (and High School) teams.

I'm going to claim ignorance here...: do the European schools have duals... ?? or are there only individual (non-team) tournaments ... ?? or do they only have national tournaments...

To be honest... I've never heard of a dual between European university's ... but that may be due to my lack of knowledge of European schools.

In most areas of Europe sports are ran through a local Club program rather than by the local schools. So the clubs may set up some type of dual competitions to get mat time in between tournaments, but most school systems are not organized for sports.

They have got to make an ankle lace one point. You can get a good lace and turn a guy 4 times off the mat and that is a tech. Burroughs got 6 points off an ankle lace that he kept rolling the guy. LOve the rules but they have to tweak it. Techs are way too easy right now. Keep the take down 2 points and keep that ball grab in the grave-I still would love to punch whoever came up with that rule.

I don't think anyone is arguing to lower the tech gap in folkstyle are they?

We're talking about Freestyle techs here... I like the folkstyle gap where it is, shoes an appropriate level of domination to warrant a "mercy" rule IMO.

Ya Ryan I find it hard to believe a real wrestling fan would suggest a blue ball bag grab to decide important international matches.